Idle Curiosity - How Many Horses?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.

How many horses?

More than 4?
41%
4?
17%
Less than 4?
42%

Total votes: 64

Kelly
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Kelly » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:29 pm

I was down to 4 in June but now I am back up to 7. One new one is a daughter of Shining Spark due to foal in April and the other new one is a Peppy San Badger grand daughter due to foal in February. The other is a Lil Ruff Peppy daughter. And also my West Coasts Kitty mare , my POA & a mini pony. Out of the 7 I have here now, only 1 of them was here last February so we have done quite a bit of adding to the herd this year.
0 x

codymccue
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Idle Curiosity - How Many Horses?

Postby codymccue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:17 pm

well lets see...
2 big grade gelding saddle horses
1 big draft cross mare(ride&drive)
1 buckskin soon to be gelding
3 QH brood mares
1 appendix brood mare
1 grade kids mare
1 yearling QH colt
1 QH stallion
------------>2 QH foals on the way.

gonna haveta sell some cows to free up some pasture... :cowboy:
0 x
the Good Lord sure will back me that I aint a rodeo man
tho I sat my share of buckin stock when it wasnt in my plan
CM

codymccue
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby codymccue » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:59 am

added a sorrel stud colt on the 23rd...1 more to go.
0 x
CM

Katie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Katie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm

We have 11
4 belgians, 3 Quarter horses, 2 paints, 1 Quarter appaloosa cross and a shetland pony.
This shetland is a great pony. I think most ponies are mean because of the mean kids that have tortured them in most cases. I am sure there are some that are just naturally mean like in any animal or people you are going to have some that are just horrible.
0 x

codymccue
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby codymccue » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:02 am

added a pretty little buckskin filly on the 26th.Straight as an an arrow and the spittin image of her ma...
0 x
CM

WagaAgeyv
Rancher
Rancher

Postby WagaAgeyv » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:41 am

Had 2-Palamino/Walker Mare and her red Palamino/Walker/Paint filly, a yearling never weened tried to ween her the easy way, cut her off from mom so they could still communicate and NOPE! She jumped a 6 foot paddock, strand of electric fence and a 4 gauge wire panel all together, and destroyed them but unhurt in a 5 minute period. So we loaded her and she was given away to someone who had the time and patience to have her boarded and trained. Down to 1.

Then we added two. Geldings - Black Walker/Paint and a Paint Great dispositions all. The Palamino though has become a high headed pain at times. But EASY keepers on grass alone. Worm, vaccines slim to no feed for two, one no feed (founders easy). Great to watch and look good with our longhorns.
0 x
Waga------Cow
Ageyv-----Lady

Nvwoti---------Medicine
Alisquetuwo----Hat
Galogesv-------Farm

Jim62
GURU
GURU

Postby Jim62 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:54 am

Got 5 as we speak. Two mares about 12 years old, 2 geldings about 18, and one gelding who is 7, all grade QH.

Pretty disgusted with the whole bunch right now. If someone had come along yestiddy who would take the others, we'd now be down to one 18 yo gelding.

I guess it's actually me, as I seem to run into the same problems with any one I try to ride. I'm just getting too old, and I'm tired of fighting them every step of the way to get them to go where I want to go and do what I want to do.

As a last ditch effort, I'm going to spend a couple days (me and the hoss) with a very well-respected trainer that lives nearby, and see if he can tell what's going on, and what to do about it. :???:

If that don't work, we'll be down to 0 just as fast as we can. :tiphat:
0 x
WHEN INEPT, DO AS THE EPTIANS DO..............

kpotter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby kpotter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm curious too. How many acres per horse and how many acres per 1 head of cattle? I get conflicting info so would be happy to hear your ideas.

Also, horses and cattle can be pastured together, right? In my family that is how it was done...

This info will help me as I look for my "Last Chance Ranch!" Thanks, Katherine
0 x
Katherine
Looking for The Last Chance Ranch
Aberdeen, SD
605 225-3128

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 am

I almost said 3 but now I have 2. My 30 year old Appaloosa died this winter out on pasture with my momma cows, took us 3 weeks to locate him because of the deep snow.
0 x

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:59 am

kpotter wrote:I'm curious too. How many acres per horse and how many acres per 1 head of cattle? I get conflicting info so would be happy to hear your ideas.

Also, horses and cattle can be pastured together, right? In my family that is how it was done...

This info will help me as I look for my "Last Chance Ranch!" Thanks, Katherine

In Michigan where I am I would say 2 acres per cow for about a 6 month growing period and I would double that acreage for a horse. When you look up research data on nutritional requirements of a horse and cow on a pound for pound basis are pretty much the same, especially as far as dry matter intake is concearned. However, that does not factor in the behavior differences between the two. Cows graze/eat for an average of 8 hours per day and horses I think I read studies saying 16-18 hours per day and this causes horses to over-graze and eat beyond their necessities. Another factor is that horses are more selective in grazing habits and will over-utilize small amounts of pasture leaving virtually large areas untouched. The over-utilization of pasture areas destroys the productivity by damaging growth tillers of grasses. For this reason I would really not try to manage too much pasture area for horses. Winter stock piling tends to get more useage as far as horses go.
0 x

gregrio
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gregrio » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:32 am

10 for now. just sold 2 last month, seling 4 mabe 5 tomorrow. leaving with 5 , 2 of them for sale.
0 x

ranchwabble
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ranchwabble » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 am

I know this post is a little old but I just saw it... We ranch from 3 to 15. We bring in horses that people don't want or can't any longer feed. My wife and I train or retrain them and resell them. We really like to train so we usually have a couple 2 year olds that hang around for a long time until they are finnished.

I'm curious too. How many acres per horse and how many acres per 1 head of cattle? I get conflicting info so would be happy to hear your ideas.

Here in Colorado you can usually keep 1 per 5 or 10 acres if you feed in the winter. We have 160 acres. We try not to keep more than 5 over the winter. Horses graze twice as much as cattle. We graze ours together.

Bret
0 x
Lettin’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin’ it back.

site:
http://www.ranchwabble.com
Blog:
http://www.ranchwabble.wordpress.com

Falcon254
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Falcon254 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:21 am

3 Alll I can afford to feed.
0 x

crossbredcalves
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby crossbredcalves » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:12 pm

I have 5 (right now).

1 QH gelding
1 QH mare
1 QH filly
1 grade Quarter horse gelding
1 Paint filly

Should be down to 3 in the next month. The fillys are supposed to be finding new homes.
0 x
You don't scare me. I teach.

Return to “Horse Care”