To Shoe or Not to Shoe?

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

To Shoe or Not to Shoe?

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:55 am

I am a big fan of leaving my horses barefoot as much as possible. Our game horses we shoe and thats about it any more. We plan on really getting to more shows next summer so I will probably show my wife's pleasure mare. What is everybody else's opinion on shoeing vs. barefoot trim?
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

oscar p
Rancher
Rancher

Postby oscar p » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:05 pm

I keep the horses I ride shod all the way around. The brood mares I keep shod only on the front 24/7. Thats the first thng I look at when I go to a mans horse farm. Is the feet. You can tell how well a man takes care of his horses buy looking at their feet. My Opinion
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Our's are barefoot unless there is a need for shoes - which is rare.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Just_a_girl » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 pm

I keep shoes on my horse. This black dirt around here can be as hard as concrete, and can really be hard on the feet.
0 x
Never argue with a pig, it only annoys the pig and gets you dirty.

Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Stepper » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:44 pm

I leave mine barefoot most of the time or at least until i start riding them alot. If you are going to keep a horse shod it needs to be reshod about every 8 weeks. And if its pad dock or pasture you are keeping it in stays wet or holds moisture. The shoes tends to get packed with the mud or manure and by it doing that a horse can get a bad case of thrush.

But they can do that even if they are bare foot. But it seems like the shoes tend to get packed up with mud worse than a bare foot horse. It is a good practice to keep their hoofs picked out with a hoof pick to avoid thrush.
0 x

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:08 am

All of our horses are barefoot with the exception of my barrel horse. He wears front shoes only around the farm and when (if) he is being hauled my farrier shoes him all the way around.
0 x
Don't call her a cowgirl 'til you see her ride.

Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Stepper » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:38 pm

If you use your horse alot for competion or working cattle etc..., It probably would be a good idea to keep it shod even during slack times. Because they can break off peaces of the hoof that makes it hard to nail a shoe on and will take a while to grow the hoof back out to get it to hold a shoe good.
0 x

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ArrowHBrand » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:21 pm

It's just what I do, but I like my horses barefoot, as long as there aren't any problems. Our soil around here is pretty soft most of the time and my wife doesn't game as much as she did before we had our son. It's always a good idea to pick out hooves before and after a ride and to check hooves when checking pastured or paddocked horses.
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

Penridergirl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Penridergirl » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:42 am

I keep all the horses that are on "Vacation" barefooted. They are trimmed every six weeks so that their feet stay in good condition. The horses that are used in the feedlot are shod with rims all the way around every six to eight weeks. In the winter time they were rims with Borium welded on to them because the pens are slick. I do have serious problems with thrush do the moisture and amonia in the cattle pens.
0 x

jonbri55
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: To Shoe or Not to Shoe?

Postby jonbri55 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:09 pm

I have 6 horses, QH, Appy crosses, TWH. I keep them all barefoot 24/7. My kids ride them in the mountains (run them would be more accurate!), use them for 4-H shows and gaming, and ride them on gravel roads. We have never had a problem with sore feet or chipped hooves. Now, it does take the horse up to a year to grow out tough enough feet for all of the riding we do. We take that into account when we get a new horse and ride lightly or more carefully on certain surfaces but still continue to ride and keep them barefoot. Every farrier I have used has raved about how nice my horses' feet are! We keep them trimmed every 8 weeks although the farrier hardly has to trim much-just a flare or so. I highly recommend keeping horses barefoot although I do know there are horses with truly crummy feet.
0 x

flaboy
GURU
GURU

Postby flaboy » Wed May 21, 2008 6:13 am

Barefoot
0 x
Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to act like one.

skyline
GURU
GURU

Postby skyline » Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 am

Barefoot if they are going to sit in the pasture or just be rode around our place - not many rocks. Shod if they are going to be rode much on roads or rocks.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

codymccue
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby codymccue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:10 pm

barefoot like God made em.trimmed every time I see one needs it.
0 x
the Good Lord sure will back me that I aint a rodeo man
tho I sat my share of buckin stock when it wasnt in my plan
CM

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Well, in my opinin it really depends on the horse. My barrel gelding has soft back feet, but good front feet. On him I trim the back and shoe the front. Since he only ever runs on sand or dirt mix, there is no need for back shoes. I shoe the front for traction on the barrel pattern. If horses hold shoes well, shoe them. If they don't then leave them.
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Re:

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:46 pm

oscar p wrote:I keep the horses I ride shod all the way around. The brood mares I keep shod only on the front 24/7. Thats the first thng I look at when I go to a mans horse farm. Is the feet. You can tell how well a man takes care of his horses buy looking at their feet. My Opinion

I'm glad I'm not the only one that looks at another person's horses feet. I feel the same way, you can really tell a lot about how a person cares for their horses by their feet.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”