Summer planting for hay pasture

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
crazybhorses
Beginner
Beginner

Summer planting for hay pasture

Postby crazybhorses » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am

I'm located in Bertram, TX and want to plant seed for hay later this summer. I know I am late in planting, is there any recommended seed that is best for horses? The feed stores have told me about Hybrid Sudan and Pearl Millet. I want to get something in, but also want it to be the best choice for the horses.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 pm

I'm fairly certain that alot, if not all, of the Sudan varieties are toxic to horses. I don't think I would feed my horses millet either, unless it was a last choice type thing. For horses, I would plant something along the lines of Timothy, Coastal, Orchardgrass, or Wheatgrasses. Timothy would be my first choice. Have you done a soil test? If not, you might want to consider doing one because it will tell you where you are with the soil - alkaline/acidic/what it is lacking - things like that. You might also want to think about talking to the local extension office, as they should be able to give you some more choices - as well as advise as to what will do best in your area and under your conditions(i.e. irrigated vs non-irrigated), and help you with the soil test and any amending you might want to do. I hope this helps, and good luck with your hay! :)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

crazybhorses
Beginner
Beginner

Postby crazybhorses » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will do some more research and check with the local extension office. I thought the feed stores would know what was best. I did find an article about sudan and horses and wondered why they would recommend it to me.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:20 pm

You're welcome! :)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:03 am

Texas A&M has information for Horse Owners online.

This link is about Pasture for Horses

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/academics/equine/hrg006_hpastures.pdf

and this is the link to the publications page

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/academics/equine/pubs.html

You can't always count on the knowledge of feed store employees. Chances are if they would read the bag of the sudan seed, it would have a warning not to feed to horses.

East Texas Seed Company may be able to help too.

http://www.easttexasseedcompany.com/

I would like to plant their Texas Tough grass, however it is too late for us. I am afraid that we would not get the rain needed for germination.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Horse Care”