horses hooves

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
User avatar
msscamp
wannabe
wannabe
Posts: 10701
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Wyoming

Postby msscamp » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 pm

ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:
ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:Anytime a horse stands with one foot held up, there is a major problem. I would call my vet, and I would call a good farrier. I would also cut out all grain, alfalfa hay, and very good quality grass hay - too much protein in all of them - until I knew what I was dealing with.


Actually a horse cocking up a hoof isn't neccessarily a problem almost all of our horses do it, it's just like a person taking weight off a leg and standing to relax.


When is the last time you saw a horse standing around with a front foot cocked?


We have a mare that will cock her front hoof, no probs. When was the last time you saw a foundered horse stand with it's front foot cocked? I'd say never, but that's only my opinion. I didn't say a horse that cocks it's foot isn't hurt I said a cocked hoof doesn't always mean injury.

I've never seen a horse stand with a front foot cocked, nor would I accept one horse doing it as a sure-fire example of nothing being wrong.

There is no question if a horse has foundered or not you will be able to tell.


I do not agree with this statement. Our local farrier worked out of our barn for a number of years and, over those years, he had quite a few horses with feet problems that turned out to be founder that were not obvious. Every horse is different, and assumptions can prove to be very costly - in a lot of ways. I would suggest investing a little time and finding out for sure.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

User avatar
msscamp
wannabe
wannabe
Posts: 10701
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Wyoming

Postby msscamp » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:05 pm

flaboy wrote:
msscamp wrote:Anytime a horse stands with one foot held up, there is a major problem. I would call my vet, and I would call a good farrier. I would also cut out all grain, alfalfa hay, and very good quality grass hay - too much protein in all of them - until I knew what I was dealing with.


Wise beyond your years. ;-)


Thank you, but I cannot accept credit for this - the credit belongs to Mike, our farrier. He worked out of our barn for quite a few years, before getting his own place/barn next door to us. I hung around, asked questions, and learned a whole lot about horses, laminitis, founder, and a few other things.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

User avatar
ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:10 am
Location: NW Iowa

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:04 am

msscamp wrote:
ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:
ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:Anytime a horse stands with one foot held up, there is a major problem. I would call my vet, and I would call a good farrier. I would also cut out all grain, alfalfa hay, and very good quality grass hay - too much protein in all of them - until I knew what I was dealing with.


Actually a horse cocking up a hoof isn't neccessarily a problem almost all of our horses do it, it's just like a person taking weight off a leg and standing to relax.


When is the last time you saw a horse standing around with a front foot cocked?


We have a mare that will cock her front hoof, no probs. When was the last time you saw a foundered horse stand with it's front foot cocked? I'd say never, but that's only my opinion. I didn't say a horse that cocks it's foot isn't hurt I said a cocked hoof doesn't always mean injury.

I've never seen a horse stand with a front foot cocked, nor would I accept one horse doing it as a sure-fire example of nothing being wrong.

There is no question if a horse has foundered or not you will be able to tell.


I do not agree with this statement. Our local farrier worked out of our barn for a number of years and, over those years, he had quite a few horses with feet problems that turned out to be founder that were not obvious. Every horse is different, and assumptions can prove to be very costly - in a lot of ways. I would suggest investing a little time and finding out for sure.


I am a farrier and my wife has a Bachelors in Animal Science degree so I think we have a pretty good understanding about horses. With that being said most horse owners know their animals well enough to know if something is wrong. All cases of founder I've seen were blatantly obvious from coffin bone rotation to the laminae delaminating. I'm not saying that if a horse looks fine it must be fine and don't worry. However, if something looks wrong it doesn't mean it's founder. I do wholly agree that if a person can't figure it out themselves that they need to seek professional advice. Our difference of opinion all stems from your original post that a horse standing with a cocked hoof means there are major problems and that isn't always the case.
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

User avatar
msscamp
wannabe
wannabe
Posts: 10701
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Wyoming

Postby msscamp » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 pm

ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:
ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:
ArrowHBrand wrote:
msscamp wrote:Anytime a horse stands with one foot held up, there is a major problem. I would call my vet, and I would call a good farrier. I would also cut out all grain, alfalfa hay, and very good quality grass hay - too much protein in all of them - until I knew what I was dealing with.


Actually a horse cocking up a hoof isn't neccessarily a problem almost all of our horses do it, it's just like a person taking weight off a leg and standing to relax.


When is the last time you saw a horse standing around with a front foot cocked?


We have a mare that will cock her front hoof, no probs. When was the last time you saw a foundered horse stand with it's front foot cocked? I'd say never, but that's only my opinion. I didn't say a horse that cocks it's foot isn't hurt I said a cocked hoof doesn't always mean injury.

I've never seen a horse stand with a front foot cocked, nor would I accept one horse doing it as a sure-fire example of nothing being wrong.

There is no question if a horse has foundered or not you will be able to tell.


I do not agree with this statement. Our local farrier worked out of our barn for a number of years and, over those years, he had quite a few horses with feet problems that turned out to be founder that were not obvious. Every horse is different, and assumptions can prove to be very costly - in a lot of ways. I would suggest investing a little time and finding out for sure.


Our difference of opinion all stems from your original post that a horse standing with a cocked hoof means there are major problems and that isn't always the case.


Perhaps you could show me where I said that - what I actually said was "Anytime a horse stands with one foot held up, there is a major problem". Nowhere did I mention a cocked foot - that was you, and there is a very big difference between the two. Kindly get your facts straight, and thank you.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

cowlady1
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: parker, pa.

horse hooves

Postby cowlady1 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 pm

I didn't mean to set off an up roar I just thought I'd ask about this horse to see what you all might think. I guess I'll have to ask the farrier when he comes. I can trim her feet & ect.in between his stopping in. I used to do this before.I would have a farrier 2 times a year.In between I'd do them unless I'd have shoes put on.I know how to take shoes off when need be.Since I had half a lung removed I have trouble bending for to long.I just couldn't figure why she held that hoof up like she does.It might be she does this as a trick for her feed. As this is really the only time I see her do it. I've been watching her close lately.She doesn't seem to hold that hoof up anytime else just when you feed her.
0 x

User avatar
chippie
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4549
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Postby chippie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:02 am

She doesn't seem to hold that hoof up anytime else just when you feed her.


Wish that you had said this in the beginning (if you did, I'm sorry I missed it.)

You don't need to worry about her. A lot of horses do that when eating. Some hold a foot up, some hold it up and wave it around. Some hold it up and paw.

It is a behavior that can be really annoying. A mare will teach it to her foal. It doesn't mean that the horse has something wrong with the hoof.

I've owned horses in the past that do that.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

hayray
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Southern Michigan
Contact:

Postby hayray » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Front hooves mostly grow alot more than the hinds so that does not mean much. You probably don't actually have a problem if you are riding and not noticing any lamness. You can tell if a horse is foundered by when you trim the horse look at the white line and see if it is stretched, if it is not then the horse has not foundered.
0 x

User avatar
msscamp
wannabe
wannabe
Posts: 10701
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Wyoming

Re: horse hooves

Postby msscamp » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 pm

cowlady1 wrote:I didn't mean to set off an up roar I just thought I'd ask about this horse to see what you all might think.

You didn't, so don't worry about it. :)

I've been watching her close lately.She doesn't seem to hold that hoof up anytime else just when you feed her.


As chippie said, I wish you'd mentioned this at the beginning. Given that she only does it when she is being fed, I wouldn't worry about it.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

User avatar
ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:10 am
Location: NW Iowa

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 am

Wow msscamp I didn't realize you were an encyclopedia of horse knowledge!
ANYWAY, most of my horses cock their feet when eating and we used to have a mare and all of her babies would paw when eating. Just them, kinda odd, but don't worry!
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"


Return to “Horse Care”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests