stall or pasture

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
jvicars
Cowhand
Cowhand

stall or pasture

Postby jvicars » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:57 am

i have a nice 5 stall horse barn. i am a new newbie to horses so i have a question. why would i keep the horse in the stall and not the pasture. i have shade in the pasture and the horse seems to enjoy the pasture. the stall seems like a waste unless i am missing something. i am in fl so the weather is easy. thanks.
0 x

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:09 am

Depends on a lot of factors. If you want to ride or train a horse every day it's nice if they are in a stall so you can get them easier and quicker. Our horses are outside 24/7 until winter comes then they have the option for shelter, but I've seen a horse stand out in an ice storm when they can go inside and be dry, go figure. Just personal preference I guess. Some people have to stall because they don't have pasture and vice versa.
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:47 pm

ArrowHBrand wrote:Depends on a lot of factors. If you want to ride or train a horse every day it's nice if they are in a stall so you can get them easier and quicker. Our horses are outside 24/7 until winter comes then they have the option for shelter, but I've seen a horse stand out in an ice storm when they can go inside and be dry, go figure. Just personal preference I guess. Some people have to stall because they don't have pasture and vice versa.

And, I'll add this:

Some people think horses are very fragile animals. Unless one lives in a REAL SUB-ZERO winter area, horses generally do well in a pasture as long as they have a loafing (run-in) shed to get out of the wind (cold, wet, etc). They have survived on their own for thousands of years. Being in the fresh air is prophylactic to preventing a lot of respiratory conditions and diseases due to dust, bad air, and in close proximity to other horses noses that are not uncommon when horses are stalled in close proximity to others.

Yes, in bad weather conditions, some horses need to be blanketed. Depends on the situation, age and condition of the horse, breed, what the horse has been previously "used to", etc.

Since the key with any livestock in winter weather is to keep their INTERNAL temperature normal and stable. HAY is what generates body heat when consumed, and plenty of hay is essential to an animal in bad weather...along with fresh, unfrozen water.
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

kscowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kscowboy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:09 pm

I have a boarding farm and i have to admit I am so anti stall that I won't even talk to folks that want to stall their horses all of the time. Typically the reasons are they don't want the coat to fade in the summer or grow long in the winter, or their paint horses get sunburned. Seems a show issue more than any other reason.

the horses think it sucks to be in a stall , they don't get natural exercise , they get bitchy , they have a variety of stomach and eating disorders due to not being able to naturally graze , they develop tics and cribbing behaviors due to the lack of stimulation , they get so wound up when they are turned out that they pull muscles and fight with the other horses trying to restablish the pecking order every day. They cost a lot more in shavings , time , foot care , feeds . Other than that its great to have your horse stalled.

We are blessed with a lot of very nice pasture ground and the only time any of our horses are stalled is if they are injured or sick for a short period of time or during the wet ice storms that frequent Kansas. We have loafing sheds that they will rarely go into. It would really be nice if the show community would allow for the natural changes in coats so our horses could get out of jail. Imagine your self living in a box.

the others that like stalls are the ones that can't catch their horses , we'll after knowing some of these folks I wouldn't come to them either.

We have thirteen horses at our barn in a hundred acres of pasture , I can go out and yell and they all come running . Treat your horses well and they will pay you back ten fold.

OK rant over
0 x

jvicars
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jvicars » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:19 pm

thanks for the info. that is what i figured but did not want to be a know it all. i only have 1 horse and he shares space with with the cows in the pasture sometimes. he seems happy but i always hear i need to have my horse in a stall.
0 x

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm

Yep...horses don't like to be in jail. It's a "show" thing I think for all those pampered (and neurotic) show horses.

On a comparison or such, IMO show horses and show cattle , with all their pampering, over-protected lifestyles, grooming, etc., they are not worth much of anything outside of the show circuit. They do fine in shows. However, when someone gets one and tries to "give it a normal life" they just don't seem to cut it very well. Too conditioned, too programmed.

Give me a natural, grass fed horse or cattle any day that lives a "normal" life...and, I'll show you a "happy" animal!

JMO
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

flaboy
GURU
GURU

Postby flaboy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 am

Mine are out 24/7 year round unless there is a lightening storm and I can get them in. They have the option to go in anytime they want but very seldom do unless it is raining cats and dogs.

I do have to remember to brush them down after a good rain. They will roll in the mud and end up with rain rot so I have to pay closer attention to this.
0 x
Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to act like one.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: stall or pasture

Postby msscamp » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 pm

jvicars wrote:i am a new newbie to horses so i have a question. why would i keep the horse in the stall and not the pasture.

Because you don't have enough to do, and want to add cleaning/rebedding stalls/the barn to your daily worklist. ;-) :lol: :lol:
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

ETF
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ETF » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Ditto what everyone else said. The only times that ours are stalled are:

1. When it's cold and raining, we will stall them overnight. That shouldn't be a problem for you in SW Florida.
2. To feed them if they require specialty feed and/or will run other horses off of their feed. As soon as they finish eating, they're put back out in the pasture.
0 x

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:10 am

Running Arrow Bill wrote:
ArrowHBrand wrote:Depends on a lot of factors. If you want to ride or train a horse every day it's nice if they are in a stall so you can get them easier and quicker. Our horses are outside 24/7 until winter comes then they have the option for shelter, but I've seen a horse stand out in an ice storm when they can go inside and be dry, go figure. Just personal preference I guess. Some people have to stall because they don't have pasture and vice versa.

And, I'll add this:

Some people think horses are very fragile animals. Unless one lives in a REAL SUB-ZERO winter area, horses generally do well in a pasture as long as they have a loafing (run-in) shed to get out of the wind (cold, wet, etc). They have survived on their own for thousands of years. Being in the fresh air is prophylactic to preventing a lot of respiratory conditions and diseases due to dust, bad air, and in close proximity to other horses noses that are not uncommon when horses are stalled in close proximity to others.

Yes, in bad weather conditions, some horses need to be blanketed. Depends on the situation, age and condition of the horse, breed, what the horse has been previously "used to", etc.

Since the key with any livestock in winter weather is to keep their INTERNAL temperature normal and stable. HAY is what generates body heat when consumed, and plenty of hay is essential to an animal in bad weather...along with fresh, unfrozen water.

Well said RA Bill. We bought a mare that was a stall horse, loved to be inside, dry, pampered. Never could get her over it. Tried for 6 years and finally got rid of her, she went to Nebraska. This mare would hate to get her feet wet or muddy and no way was she inclined to do any work. She was a pleasure horse and by golly she was going to act like one. I wanted to get rid of her after year #2, but it took a year of bad shows to finally show my wife that the mare was just too set in her ways. It all depends on what they are used to. We like to run our foals in the pasture so they learn to "rough" it. Then when they are old enough to ride they don't spook and a flushing pheasant, or a swimming muskrat, and don't hesitate through water or up steep banks.
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

Falcon254
Cowhand
Cowhand

Stalling horses

Postby Falcon254 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:55 am

I live between Ft. Worth and Waco. We have a six year old mare with a month old foal and a twenty four year old gelding. We leave them out in the pasture 24/7. We are in the process of building a loafing shed for them. They have a heavy cedar break that they use for shelter. Water and wind hardly penetrates these cedars. We put winter coats on them when it is cold and rainy. The wheather here is going to be 36 degrees and rainy for the next couple of days. Should I put coats on them or not? Or should I get a big tarp and put over their loafing shed, or both?
0 x

jfont
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jfont » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:16 am

jvicars wrote:i have a nice 5 stall horse barn. i am a new newbie to horses so i have a question. why would i keep the horse in the stall and not the pasture. i have shade in the pasture and the horse seems to enjoy the pasture. the stall seems like a waste unless i am missing something. i am in fl so the weather is easy. thanks.
I also have a five stall barn with pastures, and they stay in the pasture as much as possible. They are cheaper on feed if they can graze. no hay as long as there's grass. I don't have any trouble catching them, I call them and they come running in the stalls cause thats where the sweet feeds at.
0 x
Go Saints!!!!

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 pm

We have some bad winters here, and our horses have full axcess to a nice 6 stall horse barn. In the summer they run out but still we leave the option of the barn to them. My 21 year old mare likes to stay outside in the cold. I normally put her in a stall when it gets nasty but she goes nuts. After her breaking down the stall door to get outside we decided to let her choose for herself. So all our horses have an option of where they want to be. You will probably just have to try and see what the horse likes best.
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

kerley
GURU
GURU

Postby kerley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:05 am

We always had a barn with box stalls,however we also had loafing sheds in each pasture or corral.
0 x

diamondn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby diamondn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am

Well we stall our competition horses. They are blanketed and put in the stalls at night only. Turned out during the day. The one mare is better being stalled each night. She prefers being inside at night. The other mare arrived yesterday so we shall see what she prefers.

One of the broodmares also likes being stalled at night as well.

Just a different perspective.
0 x
Marianne

Return to “Horse Care”