Horses are so Injury Prone!

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Horses are so Injury Prone!

Postby ArrowHBrand » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:35 pm

It's sad that a simple post of statement of fact turned into an arguement about caring for horses. I don't pamper my horses they are turned out all year long to learn to be horses. I don't stall them and only bring them in when we get any type of freezing or wet weather in the winter. Jim62 right now my horses are up in lots around the barn for the winter. Other than wood fence and a hay feeder there isn't anything in their lot for them to get hurt on, but sure enough our stallion did get hurt and so did our gelding. I don't know what it was I wasn't there and haven't found any blood or hair on anything to help me find that "something" they got hurt on. We have a decent investment wrapped up in our horses, all horse people do when you consider tack, feed, and especially your time involved with their care and training. We do our best to keep them safe and injury free, but things happen. Just_a_girl is right we have pastures the same way. Last summer we went out and gathered a couple of mares on a Tuesday to clip them for a show. We let them back out and when I went and got my mare on Thursday she had cuts on two of her fee right above her heel bulbs. I don't know what she cut herself on, my guess is a stray strand of barbed wire, but danged if I can't find it. I'll bet she will again this summer, though. When horses hurt themselves it's not that the owner is irresponsible, it's just the curious nature of horses that tend to get themselves in trouble. What it comes down to is not to jump off and judge before knowing the whole story. :cboy:
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

kerley
GURU
GURU

Postby kerley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:55 am

We have owned horses most of our lives. We always do all we possibly can to feed, care for and protect our animals. One thing we have learned is if you own animals long enough, you and your horse are going to get injured, whether it be negligence or ignorance. Sh#t Happens. :cboy:
0 x

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 am

Nicely put! Horses eventually hurt themselves at one point or another. It doesn't always have to be because of lousy care.
Sometimes it is but alot of times it is pure accident. I know from having horses all my life that crap happens and sometimes nothing can be done. Nuff said on my part.
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

FTJ
Beginner
Beginner

Postby FTJ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Hello to everyone , Question my friend has a horse that is wild in a way. Takes time to cathch her, I am worried about a wound the mare has on her lower chin. It now has a bubble 2- 3 in wide and always has something leaking out of it. They said she rubbs it on the fence, but I think she mite have a bad tooth. But they said she eats good and she looks to me she has a healthy weight, she is also pregnant due I beleive any day. They bought her with this problem and it has never gone away. What could it be.
Thanks
0 x

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Possibly an abcess. It probably needs to be lanced and abroadspectrum anti-biotics follow up. I would definantly call a vet, just to be sure.
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

Return to “Horse Care”