Horse Theft

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
ScottP
Cowhand
Cowhand

Horse Theft

Postby ScottP » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:10 pm

I came across this video on putting mircochips in horses, thought it was pretty interesting. i watch the whole thing on the producer's website and it went on to talk about all sorts of Horse Theft Prevention, made me realize that maybe I better start doing some of these things. What do ya'll think, is it worth it?
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Po82VA61R1A&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Po82VA61R1A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Horse Theft

Postby msscamp » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:53 am

Unless you've got $20,000+ performance horses, no.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

jonbri55
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jonbri55 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 pm

I agree. I guess if you have a problem with horse theft in the area it might be worth it. But definately have color pictures-each side and front and back. Also, get the brand inspector out so you have official papers showing you own the horse.
0 x

codymccue
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby codymccue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:38 pm

put sign at gate "WE STILL HANG RUSTLERS"

if yer worried about legality...put "just not by the neck" in fine print underneath. :cowboy:
0 x
the Good Lord sure will back me that I aint a rodeo man
tho I sat my share of buckin stock when it wasnt in my plan
CM

Chris H
GURU
GURU

Postby Chris H » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:58 am

At the current price of hay & grain around here, you have to lock your gates so people don't leave horses in your pastures. :o The neighbor collected a couple that way.
0 x
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:51 pm

We just padlock all gates that come onto our place. I agree that with current prices of commodities and horses you would have a better chance of someone dropping some off than taking yours.
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

MrGale
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MrGale » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:30 pm

We use the AVID chips that go in the nuchal ligament in the neck....reader we have does just about any kind of chip....costs about $25.00 a pop with registration in the avid directory....well worth it in case of a tornado or some such, at least you can positively identify the critter other than "see, he comes to me when I call him" or some such. Now I can say that all of my Donkeys are computer literate..he he he....
Robert Seddon
Olde Towne Farm
Mineral, Va.
0 x
education....what is left after all you learned in school is forgotten. (Albert Einstien)

Bez+
GURU
GURU

Postby Bez+ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:54 am

Agree with msscamp

Darned good horses can be had for nothing now-a-days.

For that matter hang a sign on your gate - "Horses Wanted" and look out.

Wife tells me there are at least 20 or 30 running in a herd back home - no one knows where they came from - apparently some pretty nice animals as well.

I got two decent animals - can be had for the hauling - anyone wants them they can come and get them.

Once worth thousands they are worth nothing now and just keep on eating.

Cheapest thing about a horse is the purchase price.

Bez+ (From a warm place)
0 x

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ArrowHBrand » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:29 pm

jonbri55 wrote:I agree. I guess if you have a problem with horse theft in the area it might be worth it. But definately have color pictures-each side and front and back. Also, get the brand inspector out so you have official papers showing you own the horse.

Keep good UTD photos and locks on your pasture gates. We used to lock our gates to keep our horses in now we lock our gates to keep others from dropping their horses off. The market is that bad!
0 x
"The cow is nothing but trouble tied up in a leather bag." - John Wayne in "The Cowboys"

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:11 am

IMO...Brands are the best form of ID and theft deterent.

I havent gotten around to it yet, but I plan on freeze branding my entire herd..
0 x
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

ArrowHBrand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ArrowHBrand » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 pm

Yes I'd also like to freeze brand our herd, but I too haven't gotten around to it and I haven't convinced my wife of it yet. I just heard on the radio this morning going to work that two mules were found on a local golf course with sale stickers on their hindquarters, but nobody has come forward to claim them.
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”