Throat swelled up

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Throat swelled up

Postby turn&burn92 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi Gang,

This morning I noticed a spot on my gelding's throat that is pretty swelled up. It's is about the size of two banannas and he acts as if it hurts for me to touch it. On the side of his shoulder he was kicked by another horse it looks like, but that was there long before this happened. I am worried because it is on his throat. I have never seen anything like this before. It looks like a swelled up muscle but I would like some other opinions on it. He is eating fine and seems to be breathing okay. So I am not sure. Any opinions?
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Re: Throat swelled up

Postby milkmaid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Is he running a fever? nasal discharge? If so, the first thing that comes to mind is something like strangles. I'd suggest calling your vet and asking his/her opinion, or taking the horse in to be evaluated.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 am

If he were mine, I would haul him into the vet, especially since it is painful. If it is an infection or abscess in a gland, it needs to be treated.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:44 am

My internet guess is something related to a the kick or an infection effecting the glands..... What did the Vet say?

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Well, the vet said it looked like a bite. A snake bite maybe, but not any venimous snakes or it would've killed him being where it is. He is doing better now. It has gone way down and it isn't sore anymore. The vet says full recovery. Just to watch him. The bite had fever for a few days, but thats gone too.
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

jersey lilly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jersey lilly » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:40 pm

We had a mare get bit by (we're assuming) a copper head. They aren't deadly, but can cause major swelling and infection. She was bit on the back of her left front leg right up where it joins the body. Stayed swelled for a while, but later abcessed, and we had to lance it to drain. Keep an eye on it.
0 x
A good rain and a baby calf are always welcome here.

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Well, the horse is fine! He made a full recovery. Still not positive bout what it was but it went away a while back. I haven't been on to write though. Thanks for the opinions. :D
0 x

V_Key
Cowhand
Cowhand
Location: Gilroy, California - The Dam End of the Santa Clara County

Postby V_Key » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 pm

0 x
In My Pen
or
On My Fork
I Love