FOXTAILS!!!

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
notimeforfear
Cowhand
Cowhand

FOXTAILS!!!

Postby notimeforfear » Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 am

Im boarding my horse right now and i always check his mouth before i ride. well today i found mass amounts of foxtails stuck under his tounge and in his gums. i think it is from the alfalfa that the owner of the facility is feeding him. so i have a few questions. how bad are foxtails? is she responsible if the foxtails cause a major health isue? and am i entitled to better quality hay when im boarding somewhere?
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: FOXTAILS!!!

Postby msscamp » Fri May 08, 2009 1:21 am

notimeforfear wrote:Im boarding my horse right now and i always check his mouth before i ride. well today i found mass amounts of foxtails stuck under his tounge and in his gums. i think it is from the alfalfa that the owner of the facility is feeding him. so i have a few questions. how bad are foxtails? is she responsible if the foxtails cause a major health isue? and am i entitled to better quality hay when im boarding somewhere?

Are you sure it's foxtail and not cheatgrass?
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

notimeforfear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby notimeforfear » Mon May 11, 2009 2:36 am

although they are similar, it is foxtails. it grows looking a lot like wheat. thats what i thought it was. but i was told otherwise now my horse has sores in his mouth from it. i took him off that hay and now have him on hay cubes until the 3rd cutting when they should be all gone
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Tue May 12, 2009 11:03 pm

You must have a different type of foxtail than we do. Unless we spray the foxtail(which is exactly what we do), it will only multiply and get worse.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Return to “Horse Care”