fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:16 am

greybeard wrote:
fence_it wrote:
New tool came in today. Think were going to get some use out of it.

Ok..what is it..what's it used for?

It’s a Wire Wizard....for making off low carbon net.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 am

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:New tool came in today. Think were going to get some use out of it.

Farm had one of those when he visited.
I kinda thought it looked a little cumbersome to use.
But in all fairness the battery on my cordless wasn't up to par. And I had spent a week trying to get some hogs found for him. After being hammed for three months of deer season they get pretty elusive. I'd found some the day before he showed. And I didn't give him much time. We went hunting instead.

We made the right decision.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:
fence_it wrote:
New tool came in today. Think were going to get some use out of it.

Ok..what is it..what's it used for?

Around here, 'making off' means stealing........had to look at a video to see what it actually does and how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjoJx2R1v8

I can see where it would be a hand/finger/time saver if you do much net fence at all.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 am

It definitely has a learning curve to use. You've got to bend the wire just right to get it started in the tool. Its wraps so tight and fast the knot will burn your hand if you touch it right after it was wrapped. We got it specifically to use on high tensile woven. Giving it a try in the field today, i've got a couple tie offs to do first thing this morning.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:51 am

This is faster, better, and the battery won’t quit in the middle of a job. :hide:
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm

My hands are raw after about 10 tie offs. Hard to teach tying like that to someone to. The tool wraps wire tighter than any person could by hand. I dont know if thats good or not but the lines we pulled this morning held up good.

We have Milwaukee Fuel drills with 5.0 batteries, they last all day and then some. :cowboy:
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:01 pm

fence_it wrote:My hands are raw after about 10 tie offs. Hard to teach tying like that to someone to. The tool wraps wire tighter than any person could by hand. I dont know if thats good or not but the lines we pulled this morning held up good.

We have Milwaukee Fuel drills with 5.0 batteries, they last all day and then some. :cowboy:

My fingers don't work right any more. I can't make a 3without using the pinkie, ring and index, I can't make a two without the pinkie coming up. And I can't shoot the bird. The middle won't come up without the ring and the pinkie. Which is my three. ...use your wire wizard, your gripples and your crimps. I'm telling you..use them
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:49 pm

1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:14 pm

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:Ok..what is it..what's it used for?

Around here, 'making off' means stealing........had to look at a video to see what it actually does and how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZjoJx2R1v8

I can see where it would be a hand/finger/time saver if you do much net fence at all.

I really appreciate all the leg work you do finding these videos to explain some of these things. :clap:
I also appreciate this thread. Even though 80% of what's here, I will never need to do, it's still very interesting to learn from the pros about the correct ways of fence installs. :clap: :clap:
3 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:My hands are raw after about 10 tie offs. Hard to teach tying like that to someone to. The tool wraps wire tighter than any person could by hand. I dont know if thats good or not but the lines we pulled this morning held up good.

My fingers don't work right any more. I can't make a 3without using the pinkie, ring and index, I can't make a two without the pinkie coming up. And I can't shoot the bird. The middle won't come up without the ring and the pinkie. Which is my three. ...use your wire wizard, your gripples and your crimps. I'm telling you..use them

It was my dads idea to buy. He is 60 and starting to have problems, been fencing full time since he was 48 or 49, part time about 20 years before that. His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion. He is going to get alot of use out of this. Started using t clip gripples too, handy for the bottom wires.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 pm

I didn't think I would get much use out of the teeclip gripples...was i wrong. They'll spoil ya for sure.
I didn't get near enough but..... I know where to get more. :)
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm

fence_it wrote:
callmefence wrote:

It was my dads idea to buy. He is 60 and starting to have problems, been fencing full time since he was 48 or 49, part time about 20 years before that. His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion. He is going to get alot of use out of this. Started using t clip gripples too, handy for the bottom wires.

It'll dang sure be a hand saver. I did beat a wire wizard on a 20 line deer fence a year ago, but I promise I couldn't do it at 60. Setup and technique have everything to do with ease and efficiency when you are hand knotting, and it's hard to teach. My dad is nearly 66, and ties the shyt out of knots in wire. As everyone knows, I like efficiency, and if something makes you more efficient and profitable without skimping on quality, I say go for it. :nod:
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 pm

His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion.

It ain't the repetitive motion, it's the beating the Shaver drivers give the operator. If your old man will spend a few hundred on a wire wizard, spend a few grand on a post driver that is profitable and won't put you on disability. :bang: Why's everybody gotta fight me on this kinda stuff? :lol:
1 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:His wrists are messed up from running the post driver, too much repetitive motion.

It ain't the repetitive motion, it's the beating the Shaver drivers give the operator. If your old man will spend a few hundred on a wire wizard, spend a few grand on a post driver that is profitable and won't put you on disability. :bang: Why's everybody gotta fight me on this kinda stuff? :lol:

I think his wrist problem is mainly from holding the post while pounding, too much jarring motion, wears away the cartilage in the wrist.

It would take a lot to bring us out of the Shaver fan club, I think my dad has a secret collection going :lol: , must have about 5 or 6 of them lined up in the corner of the pole barn that we don't even use.

We have been looking for a used series 2 or series 3 kinghitter with a rock spike somewhere west of the rockies. Found one in Montana but think its a bit overpriced. We have a local dealer here that sells them new, I think they start around $15k.

Make sure to get us some pictures and video of your new protech driver. I always enjoying oogling at fancy fencing equipment. :cboy:
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Yep Somebodys getting pretty full of themself.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”