Loading Individual Cattle

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Loading Individual Cattle

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:10 am

Bright Raven wrote:I loaded out a bull today. 11 months old but a big fellow. Easily 1000 pounds. I haltered him and kept two other bulls with him until the trailer came.

Young stock that have never been on a trailer usually balk at the point of jumping on the trailer. It can be a test of wills when you are alone.

Today, I led the bull on halter, when he balked at the point of jumping in, I had the buyer walk in behind him. It took some patience but he jumped in.

Does anyone have any practices to make it go smooth? I am looking for a discussion of what other folks do.

build a ramp where most trailers will be fairly level and they can just walk in and as what was said a hot shot most of the time they wont back up with one of those behind them.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:16 am

1982vett wrote:I load on3 the same way I load a trailer full. Down the chute. I guess when the get to the trailer they see a larger space than the one they are in and readily step up into it. I don’t know, just hasn’t been much of a problem.

I cannot do that. My chute opens opposite of access. I think Sky might have a point. If I had a ramp there, they would go in much easier.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 am

So far, I've not needed magic dust. The headgate of my chute sets a couple feet inside my barn and the door is a little low to back the trailer inside. I just use a couple of 6' panels and chain them to the headgate and the trailer. Seems they make the transition easily.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:54 am

right now i use the same setup as the stockyards. its working pretty good. just a 12' alley with the trailer at 90 degrees, they make the turn and go in.

soon i'll use my turrent gate to load them and not have to be in there with them.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am

I have a high loading chute that's about 6' away from my squeeze, and there's working space between the two.. When I want to load a low trailer they go down to the squeeze and I open the sides so they go in the working area it's about 5x10'.. once they're in I close the squeeze sides and there's no place to go but in the trailer.. works pretty well
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 am

the step up usually isn't that big a deal.. i've heard that "In the old days" they loaded them onto 5 ton trucks with no chute!

A couple railway ties as an intermediate step could help though.. some stout pallets would be a second option for smaller animals
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:24 pm

If you make a dirt ramp where they dn't have to jump, it will go a lot better with all classes of cattle especially baby calves. .

My set up is with a swing gate about 4 ' off the end of the load out. I can swing it into their butt to give them a little encouragement. It kind of works like vett's idea where you confine their space to make the big space in the trailer looks more inviting.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 pm

I have a gooseneck hitch on my tractors 3 pt hitch and just lift the front of the trailer up. I don't drive my trucks around my cows, I have the crushed passenger side bed to remind me why.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:03 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I have a gooseneck hitch on my tractors 3 pt hitch and just lift the front of the trailer up. I don't drive my trucks around my cows, I have the crushed passenger side bed to remind me why.

Had one of my Brahman cows spook the other day. Still not sure why. She done a 180 and hit the front driver fender with her azz. Didn’t bust the light or hurt the hood but the fender is screwed.
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I have a gooseneck hitch on my tractors 3 pt hitch and just lift the front of the trailer up. I don't drive my trucks around my cows, I have the crushed passenger side bed to remind me why.

Had one of my Brahman cows spook the other day. Still not sure why. She done a 180 and hit the front driver fender with her azz. Didn’t bust the light or hurt the hood but the fender is screwed.

I was sorting as I was loading and one wanted to go back where it came from. A cow can tear some stuff up without even trying. I can't imagine the damage a bull that wanted to kill you could do.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

I was sorting as I was loading and one wanted to go back where it came from. A cow can tear some stuff up without even trying. I can't imagine the damage a bull that wanted to kill you could do.

I don’t won’t to find out first hand but I would imagine a lot. I’ve gotten rid of everything that’s ill tempered except for one cow. She will catch the wagon to town this fall. She’s a headhunter. She’s either gonna load one more time or she’s gonna get a hot lead injection. Ain’t nothing gonna have an attitude on my place but me! The Brahman cow that demolished my fender is a big ole baby. But when I drove by her something spooked her. Never done it before. But she made a mess. I like her but I hope she was sore for a few days :lol2:
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Most of my bulls if their not on a halter, will jump in if you just sit back and let them sniff around.
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:14 pm

I had an alley just as wide as the trailer. It was about 40 feet long with a 90 degree corner in it and 3 gates. Gate #1 was at the entrance. Gate #2 was at the corner. Gate #3 was just shy of the trailer. I could take it slow and just move them ahead one gate at a time. That is how I worked groups. I have always believed in not raising your voice or dust when handling cattle. The one exception to that is loading a single. I get on their tail with hot shot in hand. Start them moving and keep them moving. Having a good slam latch on the trailer helps.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:46 pm

A word of caution.

Never let your attention span down when loading animals. Last July I was loading my Brangus bull to take to the vet. He had a piece of electric fence wrapped around his hind leg and it was infected. This bull was very gentle and I've never had problems working him. I ran him down the chute and even knowing better I followed him with a hot shot in hand. When he jumped in the trailer, he decided he didn't want in there and turned and came back to meet me head on in the chute. The hot shot would not convince him to back up and finally I jumped up on the pipe fence. Can't climb fast because of two artificial knees. He darted behind me and stopped like a cork in a bottle. We both did not fit the width of the chute. He dug in like a QB and pushed thru rolling me on the pipe. Wound up with a broken rt leg and two crushed calves. This has been a long year recovering at my age (73). I am very fortunate to be able to relate this incident, because if I was not able to jump up on the bars my pelvis and innards would have been crushed. I cannot even describe how fast this happened. Your life does flash before you. Luckily, I had my grandson with me to get me out of the chute.
I shipped the bull soon after and was surprised that he weighed 1950#.
My point is after all these years handling cattle, I made a simple mistake that I'm sure many of you have made and it be nice near killed me. THINK before you act.
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:32 pm

I have a bull that I dread loading. Not a mean bone in his body but he will walk to the opening of the trailer and stop. I've held the hot shot on him, and he just hunkers up and quivers.. I've beat the tar out of him with a sorting stick, and he just takes the abuse.. I've been on the verge of giving him a load of bird shot many times, but finally for no apparent reason he calmly steps on the trailer.