fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:37 am

Tbrake wrote:Any type of Groucho wire. (However it’s spelled) stay tuff or something like that. Beyond electric fence, that stuff is useless.

I've always felt pretty much the same.t he early gaucho turned off lots of folks.
Until I got my hands on some good high tensile barbwire and learned how to handle it.
I've probably stretched as much ok barbwire as any man alive. I won't use any more on my place.
You don't show a location. If you get through central Texas. Swing by I'll give you a roll of good barbwire.
Last edited by callmefence on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
M.Magis wrote:Funny how opinions differ. Gaucho HT barbed wire is my first choice, by a large margin. I don’t plan to ever use 12.5 guage again. Costs twice as much and cows respect it about as much as smooth wire.

McArthur Lumber and Post, about 2 hours from you, has 14 and 16 gauge Tornado HT barb in stock. If you ever have the chance, stop in and buy a roll of the 14 gauge and give it a try. You'll have a new first choice, by an even larger margin. :tiphat:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot on my next project.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 am

M.Magis wrote:
M.Magis wrote:Funny how opinions differ. Gaucho HT barbed wire is my first choice, by a large margin. I don’t plan to ever use 12.5 guage again. Costs twice as much and cows respect it about as much as smooth wire.

McArthur Lumber and Post, about 2 hours from you, has 14 and 16 gauge Tornado HT barb in stock. If you ever have the chance, stop in and buy a roll of the 14 gauge and give it a try. You'll have a new first choice, by an even larger margin. :tiphat:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot on my next project.

They make delivery runs to your neighborhood, so you might ask about slipping some on a truck for you to intercept. Barbed wire fun fact of the day.....It was invented by Lucien Smith of Kent, Ohio.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:47 am

Anyone remember the name of the outfit that makes fence chargers here in the USA. Supposed to be very quality product...i can't remember nor find the thread.
Any help appreciated.
I think k they were deep in the south somewhere maybe..
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 am

bball wrote:Anyone remember the name of the outfit that makes fence chargers here in the USA. Supposed to be very quality product...i can't remember nor find the thread.
Any help appreciated.

Parmak. Made in the Midwest.......Iowa maybe?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:00 am

bball wrote:Anyone remember the name of the outfit that makes fence chargers here in the USA. Supposed to be very quality product...i can't remember nor find the thread.
Any help appreciated.

Naw Luke, it was a different brand.. I'm familiar with Parmak. I coulda swore it was made in Alabama maybe..pretty expensive units too, but the guys who had them raved about how good they were.
0 x
-Anais Nin

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:41 am

bball wrote:
Any help appreciated.

Naw Luke, it was a different brand.. I'm familiar with Parmak. I coulda swore it was made in Alabama maybe..pretty expensive units too, but the guys who had them raved about how good they were.

Fencemaster in OK?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 am

bball wrote:
Any help appreciated.

Don't know if this is who your looking for but there the best fence chargers built IMO. I bought a spare about 5 years ago and haven't needed it yet.
http://www.proshockfencecharger.com/index.html
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 am

Cyclops.
Built by Taylor Fence Co, Ashville Alabama.
http://www.taylorfence.net/about_us.php
They ain't cheap but everything I've heard about them and their chargers has been good.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:50 am

greybeard wrote:Cyclops.
Built by Taylor Fence Co, Ashville Alabama.
http://www.taylorfence.net/about_us.php
They ain't cheap but everything I've heard about them and their chargers has been good.

Thanks greybeard. This is the outfit!
0 x
-Anais Nin

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:55 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
bball wrote:

Don't know if this is who your looking for but there the best fence chargers built IMO. I bought a spare about 5 years ago and haven't needed it yet.

Thanks Grit. Those look like some pretty good fenders too.
0 x
-Anais Nin

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 am

bball wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
bball wrote:

Thanks Grit. Those look like some pretty good fenders too.

I think your on the right track with Cyclops, Michael is a one man show. He's a retired electrical engineer just looking for something to do.
0 x

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Never used pipe before in my life. Seen this today. With a pipe h-brace the rail is welded on both ends, so I always thought it doesn't need to be wired, right? Any reason this fella wired this pipe brace?

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:57 pm

fence_it wrote:Never used pipe before in my life. Seen this today. With a pipe h-brace the rail is welded on both ends, so I always thought it doesn't need to be wired, right? Any reason this fella wired this pipe brace?

Yes you need that wire or you'll pull the corner. Look at how Fenceman builds his corners same concept just a lot better.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 pm

I use the recipe Fence gave me for welded pipe braces. No brace wire in the ingredients, and it's not going anywhere. :wave:
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”