fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 am

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAING ... cher-8DNN7

how bout this one..and why the extra clamp on the other end? so ya can hold it to take another bite?
1 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:51 am

dieselbeef wrote:https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-33-x-8-Steel-Fence-Stretcher-8DNN7

how bout this one..and why the extra clamp on the other end? so ya can hold it to take another bite?

There's a Grainger not far. I'm gonna check that out. Looks like a goldenrod. Says high tensile. Idk..
I don't like the third jaw. It gets in the way. When all I can get is the three jaw I always cut the one off.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 am

they have em both ways....
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:02 am

callmefence wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-33-x-8-Steel-Fence-Stretcher-8DNN7

There's a Grainger not far. I'm gonna check that out. Looks like a goldenrod. Says high tensile. Idk..
I don't like the third jaw. It gets in the way. When all I can get is the three jaw I always cut the one off.

Yes, a Goldenrod. The 3rd jaw does come in handy, as it allows you to 'hold what ya got' if you didn't hand pull the 'easy' slack out first and have to grab another bite with the goldenrod.
I had one and it was 'ok' but didn't need the other jaw often enough to make the extra cost worth it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:46 pm

callmefence wrote:
pricefarm wrote:I would like to see a video on how you tie off the wire once you have it that tight.

I'll try to do that.
But this probably gives you a idea

That is how I thought you did it but I wouldn't think that it would hold that much tension. Mine seems to slip when it get real tight
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Goldenrod quality has suffered some in recent years. The jaw on some of them close just at the very end instead of in the middle where more teeth engage the wire. On others, there's a lot of space between the jaw frame and the jaw and it's easy to get the wire off to one side. It's a manufacturing quality problem. Just a crapshoot whether you get a good one or not.
The clones you see at places like TSC and McCoys are even worse. They all work pretty good on the bigger wire but not so much on the high tension.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I took my Dremel and cleaned the jaws up and mine works as good or better than ever.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:35 pm

I have often wondered, if you welded a wire dog to one end of a goldenrod, and a Klein cable grip to the other, would it adequately replace the crappy grips that are on there? Hold your mouth right, and they could be welded in line with each other.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I have often wondered, if you welded a wire dog to one end of a goldenrod, and a Klein cable grip to the other, would it adequately replace the crappy grips that are on there? Hold your mouth right, and they could be welded in line with each other.

I've used a short chain and a cone&ring wiredog on a goldenrod before and the dog holds fine.

I've also used one of these on a goldenrod and it works good too-mine, the chain just makes a loop and I slip it over the end of the goldenrod. (mine's about 30+ years old tho). I have a much bigger (and equally old) one I use to pull wire rope (cable).

0 x

Covet Not!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 pm

greybeard wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I have often wondered, if you welded a wire dog to one end of a goldenrod, and a Klein cable grip to the other, would it adequately replace the crappy grips that are on there? Hold your mouth right, and they could be welded in line with each other.

I've used a short chain and a cone&ring wiredog on a goldenrod before and the dog holds fine.

I've also used one of these on a goldenrod and it works good too-mine, the chain just makes a loop and I slip it over the end of the goldenrod. (mine's about 30+ years old tho). I have a much bigger (and equally old) one I use to pull wire rope (cable).

After youve made the splice, can you release the tension off the wire dawg?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
greybeard wrote:

After youve made the splice, can you release the tension off the wire dawg?

That type of dog will grip high tensile no problem. It's downfalls are it doesn't fit easily in some of the smaller square net wires. And just not as handy as the goldenrod style tool.
You can get replacement jaws for the gripple contractor tool. I've thought about welding a set of those on a goldenrod.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:04 am

Pretty good tool to have around, and plenty easy to make your splice and then let the tension off.

0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 am

I see you use a kneeling pad. How many times have I gotten down on the ground to tie off the bottom strand and planted a knee right on top of a stick or rock and had to move?
..and rocks are very rare in my area, but I can find a single one on an acre of ground like magic.
0 x

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 am

greybeard wrote:I see you use a kneeling pad. How many times have I gotten down on the ground to tie off the bottom strand and planted a knee right on top of a stick or rock and had to move?
..and rocks are very rare in my area, but I can find a single one on an acre of ground like magic.

I've learned that taking the time to get comfortable has made me more productive, which equates to more profitable. I also keep a toolbox stocked with a butane stove, coffee, soup, water, tea, bread, and a cooler with the meat and cheese. This time of year, a hot meal and dry knees are nice to have. :nod:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 am

New rig is set-up . We've spent a few days working alone to get to know each other. After much thought, arguing, two wrestling matches and a near knife fight.
The old rig avoided the equipment auction.

https://youtu.be/vM6r03nEVSo
https://youtu.be/rkb_4Fexv6Q
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”