fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby M-5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:48 am

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
M-5 wrote:
I figure the 200 I got will last me several years.

Let us know how that plan works out.

I know exactly what you mean by that. 'No one can have just one.'
I'm not even supposed to 'look' at any kind of fencing right now, but have already figured how many posts, rolls of wire and how many gripples I'll need for my sisters new fence.

I didn't use a single gripple this weekend. I did find a use for about 5 on the lease where the corner brace wire is broken .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 am

1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

i don't think that fence can get any tighter.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:57 pm

ddd75 wrote:i don't think that fence can get any tighter.

And a very good example of "stretch it tight as it's supposed to be, it'll stand itself up". Notice even with no posts, 15' up in the air, the wire is arrow straight in both horizontal & vertical planes.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 pm

greybeard wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i don't think that fence can get any tighter.

And a very good example of "stretch it tight as it's supposed to be, it'll stand itself up". Notice even with no posts, 15' up in the air, the wire is arrow straight in both horizontal & vertical planes.

This one didn't stand so straight once it hit the trees. lol
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:20 pm

do you use the skid steer or what to stretch it?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:31 pm

ddd75 wrote:do you use the skid steer or what to stretch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EiJzBn2ec&t=1s

I haven't used anything but net boards and boundary strainers in nearly a decade.
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxi29RQ35PI&t=2s

Never seen anyone do it like that. We usually build a brace if in a dip like that and pull to it.

That is some good tight wire. Looks good with the galvanized pipe.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:13 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
ddd75 wrote:do you use the skid steer or what to stretch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7EiJzBn2ec&t=1s

I haven't used anything but net boards and boundary strainers in nearly a decade.

lookin good.

I've been pulling with my loader on the tractor backwards so I can get the fence just right, but I can't get it anywhere near that tight.
0 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:51 am

using the skidsteer or tractor, no way to tell how tight the wire is. You can overtighten and take the tension out of the wire, as easily as you can undertighten it. Notice on wire their is those humps in the wire. They should be tightened up about half or two thirds of the way out. Tightening more than that will make the wire loose later on.
gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am

very impressive. like fence it I would have proably built a A-brace and broke the wire and made hookups there. interesting deadman. how do deal with that on wood post. //
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:08 am

callmefence wrote:

very impressive. like fence it I would have proably built a A-brace and broke the wire and made hookups there. interesting deadman. how do deal with that on wood post. //

Just about the same way on wood posts. Drive the deadman in 7' or so, and bridle it with 9 wire. Tap the deadman down until the bridle comes tight, and cut the post off. I've pinned them with brace pins too, but that takes more digging. Using a deadman setup is a time saver, and it doesn't compromise the quality...IMO.

0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:10 am

fence_it wrote:

Never seen anyone do it like that. We usually build a brace if in a dip like that and pull to it.

That is some good tight wire. Looks good with the galvanized pipe.

Thanks. PM me your email when you get a chance.....I've got something to send you.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:37 am

plumber_greg wrote:using the skidsteer or tractor, no way to tell how tight the wire is. You can overtighten and take the tension out of the wire, as easily as you can undertighten it. Notice on wire their is those humps in the wire. They should be tightened up about half or two thirds of the way out. Tightening more than that will make the wire loose later on.
gs

You are spot on Greg, but I will say that the times I've helped Fence stretch wire with a truck, it turned out fine. It wouldn't work for us, but that's the beauty of being in charge.....You get to pick how it gets done. Fence's son was in the truck, while we walked the fence row and kept a hand on things, and it worked good. Even if I wanted to change my ways, traction and accessability would prevent it. The humps in the wire are called "tension curves" and they are the give point. Bekaert, for example, has all but done away with tension curves, and it really shows when you stretch it. That's a shame too, because Bekaert is really good at drawing wire rod....they just don't follow through to the finished product anymore. The only reasoning I can come up with, is there is less wire in a straight line. I've tried them all, and only one is capable of this kind of performance.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 am

plumber_greg wrote:using the skidsteer or tractor, no way to tell how tight the wire is. You can overtighten and take the tension out of the wire, as easily as you can undertighten it. Notice on wire their is those humps in the wire. They should be tightened up about half or two thirds of the way out. Tightening more than that will make the wire loose later on.
gs

I don't think a tractor or skidsteer would be able to pull it any near near as tight as he has it in that video..
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”