fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby M-5 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:If this forum had an easily accessed classified section, I'd think about telling everyone that the man that bought my old Shaver HD 12 skid steer mount post driver is done with his project, and ready to part ways with it of two and a half thousand bucks.......But there isn't any such easily accessed and convenient classified section, so I'll keep it to myself.

So it's too hard to click on forum index and click on a couple of hotlinks to access the classified section.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu May 10, 2018 5:56 pm

M-5 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:If this forum had an easily accessed classified section, I'd think about telling everyone that the man that bought my old Shaver HD 12 skid steer mount post driver is done with his project, and ready to part ways with it of two and a half thousand bucks.......But there isn't any such easily accessed and convenient classified section, so I'll keep it to myself.

So it's too hard to click on forum index and click on a couple of hotlinks to access the classified section.

Yep. It’s out of my comfort zone.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
M-5 wrote:

LoL, says the guy that tell old timers to get out of their comfort zones with red brand wire and try something new like grpples and hurricane wire
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

M-5 wrote:
M-5 wrote:So it's too hard to click on forum index and click on a couple of hotlinks to access the classified section.

LoL, says the guy that tell old timers to get out of their comfort zones with red brand wire and try something new like grpples and hurricane wire

Hurricane Wire? That's a throwback. LOL
I'll give the new classifieds an honest chance before I pass judgement. Sorry for my hypocricy.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 11, 2018 12:08 am

M-5 wrote:

Hurricane Wire? That's a throwback. LOL
I'll give the new classifieds an honest chance before I pass judgement. Sorry for my hypocricy.

A bookmark makes it just one click.......
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Chain grab brace building, cheap, fast, and easy. :nod:

1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Sun May 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Hello friends, I'm fencing along a meandering creek line. There are many breaks and turns. For small stretches of less than 50 yards is a full brace assembly needed on 60 degree or grater change of direction, or can I do the center post only 5' apart instead of 8'. Is there a better way to fence along a meandering line. I'll go broke buying so many corner posts.

Thanks.
0 x

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 pm

One more thing, does anyone know where to buy long handles (5-6') for post hole diggers. I've seen guys in Brazil using these post hole diggers with very long handles. Makes it easier to go 4' down, instead pounding while kneeling down. I was going to screw PVC pipe as an extension, but if I can get get longer handles it would be better.

Thx.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 20, 2018 3:07 pm

libertygarden wrote:Hello friends, I'm fencing along a meandering creek line. There are many breaks and turns. For small stretches of less than 50 yards is a full brace assembly needed on 60 degree or grater change of direction, or can I do the center post only 5' apart instead of 8'. Is there a better way to fence along a meandering line. I'll go broke buying so many corner posts.

Thanks.

Yes, the brace is needed. Distance does not determine the measure of force acting on a post absorbing a change in direction - the amount of pull placed on stretching the wire determines the magnitude of force. Whether it is 50 yards or 100 yards, the magnitude to which you stretch the wire (measured in foot pounds of force) will determine the force on the post that is absorbing the change of direction. If you don't brace properly, then be prepared to watch the posts absorbing the force begin to surrender to the pull of force. It is simply a matter of physics.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:22 pm

libertygarden wrote:Hello friends, I'm fencing along a meandering creek line. There are many breaks and turns. For small stretches of less than 50 yards is a full brace assembly needed on 60 degree or grater change of direction, or can I do the center post only 5' apart instead of 8'. Is there a better way to fence along a meandering line. I'll go broke buying so many corner posts.

Thanks.

a 5-6" post works fine as a brace post.. you don't need a big 8" post.
0 x

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Sun May 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks for the responses. Would a corner post with a diagonal post into the ground work? This is all wood, no pipe.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 pm

libertygarden wrote:Thanks for the responses. Would a corner post with a diagonal post into the ground work? This is all wood, no pipe.
It would if you can build it to counteract the force applied against it. Personally, I don't want any obstructions extending into the working area along a fence. That is the benefit among other benefits of in-line bracing.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby libertygarden » Sun May 20, 2018 5:45 pm

How would it obstruct? This would be like an N brace without the right post sticking out.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm

my rule is any direction change greater than 15 degrees gets a diagonal brace like farm posted above r
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm

libertygarden wrote:How would it obstruct? This would be like an N brace without the right post sticking out.

I have long fence lines. My mower covers my tracks. I drive along the fence. If there is an N brace, I have to turn out to avoid it. I prefer not to be bothered with that. No offense to anyone, I don't want N braces on my farm unless it is an unavoidable circumstance.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”