fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 am

callmefence wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:no I meant the little ratchet strainers....


Idk about that. Kinda like to see it. Lots of different angles if you could... :D ;-)

But if you must.
The gripples with the contractor tool are working better for me than the strainers ever did. I know it does not look it but it will pull very tight. Put one on every wire. I know a guy that sells em cheap enough..

X 100. I'll post some pics of ratchet strainer on woven wire fails. Also, Gripples are $1.00....ratchets are $3.00. I don't even need to slip a boot off to do that math.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby pricefarm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:no I meant the little ratchet strainers....


Idk about that. Kinda like to see it. Lots of different angles if you could... :D ;-)

But if you must.
The gripples with the contractor tool are working better for me than the strainers ever did. I know it does not look it but it will pull very tight. Put one on every wire. I know a guy that sells em cheap enough..

X 100. I'll post some pics of ratchet strainer on woven wire fails. Also, Gripples are $1.00....ratchets are $3.00. I don't even need to slip a boot off to do that math.


What makes them fail on woven wire? I use them on barb wire fences and smooth wire high tensile fence and they work good?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:17 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Idk about that. Kinda like to see it. Lots of different angles if you could... :D ;-)

But if you must.
The gripples with the contractor tool are working better for me than the strainers ever did. I know it does not look it but it will pull very tight. Put one on every wire. I know a guy that sells em cheap enough..

X 100. I'll post some pics of ratchet strainer on woven wire fails. Also, Gripples are $1.00....ratchets are $3.00. I don't even need to slip a boot off to do that math.


What makes them fail on woven wire? I use them on barb wire fences and smooth wire high tensile fence and they work good?


Not a failure in the ratchet......Failure in the attempt to use them in any form or fashion that was supposed to be of benefit in the future. The pics I have are of terrible craftsmanship. The ratchets are just fine, and will serve the purpose. Cost and ease of use would be the primary reasons to switch to Gripples.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5545
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby dieselbeef » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:25 pm

I never heard of gripples til you came along. I just use the ratchet on the top wire and the btm wire of woven fence. if I need to tighten more than that ill pull it wih the goldenrod and rewrap the horizontals...but after its been a few yrs and its starting to need a repull ill just do the top and btm and that's good enough
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5545
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby dieselbeef » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:27 pm

I never heard of gripples til you came along. I just use the ratchet on the top wire and the btm wire of woven fence. if I need to tighten more than that ill pull it wih the goldenrod and rewrap the horizontals...but after its been a few yrs and its starting to need a repull ill just do the top and btm and that's good enough.

im telling ya florida aint like the rest of the country..we don't have or have ever even heard of half te stuff on this board
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Speak for yourself those of is in the civilized part of Florida have seen it all.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5545
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby dieselbeef » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:07 pm

ppphhhfffftttttttt...
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 pm

dieselbeef wrote:I never heard of gripples til you came along. I just use the ratchet on the top wire and the btm wire of woven fence. if I need to tighten more than that ill pull it wih the goldenrod and rewrap the horizontals...but after its been a few yrs and its starting to need a repull ill just do the top and btm and that's good enough.

im telling ya florida aint like the rest of the country..we don't have or have ever even heard of half te stuff on this board


Build good braces, use quality wire installed properly, and you won't have those issues. Net wire should only need stretched once in it's life, unless you have to re-post it. Florida is the same as the rest of the country, and world for that matter....Some really good fence around if you look for it, but lots still using Red Brand and similar garbage just because grandpa said it was good stuff. For the most part, fence products found in typical farm stores are absolute wastes of money. I'll get a video together one of these days of every brand of wire stretched side by side for a truly accurate ranking of quality.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3199
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:58 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:I never heard of gripples til you came along. I just use the ratchet on the top wire and the btm wire of woven fence. if I need to tighten more than that ill pull it wih the goldenrod and rewrap the horizontals...but after its been a few yrs and its starting to need a repull ill just do the top and btm and that's good enough.

im telling ya florida aint like the rest of the country..we don't have or have ever even heard of half te stuff on this board


Build good braces, use quality wire installed properly, and you won't have those issues. Net wire should only need stretched once in it's life, unless you have to re-post it. Florida is the same as the rest of the country, and world for that matter....Some really good fence around if you look for it, but lots still using Red Brand and similar garbage just because grandpa said it was good stuff. For the most part, fence products found in typical farm stores are absolute wastes of money. I'll get a video together one of these days of every brand of wire stretched side by side for a truly accurate ranking of quality.


How do you rate Gaucho 15.5 guage hi tensile barb wire?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:19 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:I never heard of gripples til you came along. I just use the ratchet on the top wire and the btm wire of woven fence. if I need to tighten more than that ill pull it wih the goldenrod and rewrap the horizontals...but after its been a few yrs and its starting to need a repull ill just do the top and btm and that's good enough.

im telling ya florida aint like the rest of the country..we don't have or have ever even heard of half te stuff on this board


Build good braces, use quality wire installed properly, and you won't have those issues. Net wire should only need stretched once in it's life, unless you have to re-post it. Florida is the same as the rest of the country, and world for that matter....Some really good fence around if you look for it, but lots still using Red Brand and similar garbage just because grandpa said it was good stuff. For the most part, fence products found in typical farm stores are absolute wastes of money. I'll get a video together one of these days of every brand of wire stretched side by side for a truly accurate ranking of quality.


How do you rate Gaucho 15.5 guage hi tensile barb wire?


In the 15.5 gauge category, I would rank it 2nd or 3rd. In the overall category, it wouldn't even get a callback to the short go. 14 ga high tensile barb is my choice, with Tornado being the top pick. Tighter barb spacing with barbs long enough to hit bone. I'll bet I haven't built a hundred miles of barbed wire fence in my career, so when Fence chimes in, go with what he says.
If you just want cheap, I've got a few pallets of 16ga Tornado that's tougher than 15.5 goucho.....Been sitting in the warehouse for 6 months, and the boss said get it gone.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3199
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Build good braces, use quality wire installed properly, and you won't have those issues. Net wire should only need stretched once in it's life, unless you have to re-post it. Florida is the same as the rest of the country, and world for that matter....Some really good fence around if you look for it, but lots still using Red Brand and similar garbage just because grandpa said it was good stuff. For the most part, fence products found in typical farm stores are absolute wastes of money. I'll get a video together one of these days of every brand of wire stretched side by side for a truly accurate ranking of quality.


How do you rate Gaucho 15.5 guage hi tensile barb wire?


In the 15.5 gauge category, I would rank it 2nd or 3rd. In the overall category, it wouldn't even get a callback to the short go. 14 ga high tensile barb is my choice, with Tornado being the top pick. Tighter barb spacing with barbs long enough to hit bone. I'll bet I haven't built a hundred miles of barbed wire fence in my career, so when Fence chimes in, go with what he says.
If you just want cheap, I've got a few pallets of 16ga Tornado that's tougher than 15.5 goucho.....Been sitting in the warehouse for 6 months, and the boss said get it gone.


I have not kept up in this thread. I helped Fire Sweep replace a length of her fence last week. It was only about 380 feet. We put a steel H- Brace on each end. We used about half the steel T-posts that were there and she had 6 foot T-posts for replacement posts. For 5 strands, I thought they should have been at least 7 foot. Mixing the posts makes it look like a mixed herd of cattle. We strung 5 strands of Gaucho 15.5 HT barbed wire. I stretched from the end of each H-brace with a Goldenrod. I guess reading here, that is not considered stretching but the terrain was sloped and I stretched it to the point it was difficult getting it pulled up to where it needed to be on the T-post. Fire Sweep is happy with it. I get the sense, they have not seen a first class fence. Lol
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11115
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 am

I have always viewed a fence as a never ending maintenance project. I''m convinced after this long running thread, that my abundance of maintenance is due to my poor choice of tools, and fencing products. Yes, I staple to trees, but shy of spending more than the farm is worth in dozer work, then that's the way it is.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:03 am

Bigfoot wrote:I have always viewed a fence as a never ending maintenance project. I''m convinced after this long running thread, that my abundance of maintenance is due to my poor choice of tools, and fencing products. Yes, I staple to trees, but shy of spending more than the farm is worth in dozer work, then that's the way it is.


A cheap hybrid in the timber is a treated 2x4 nailed to the tree, then staple to the 2x4. That'll buy you 20 years or so before the trees eat your wire. To me, fence is a long term investment and doing it "right" pays off in the long run. Most of the time, "right" involves a budget. Sometimes that budget says uses what you have, and that makes going tree to tree "right".
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby callmefence » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:04 am

M-5 wrote:Speak for yourself those of is in the civilized part of Florida have seen it all.


Ain't you the guy that recommended old pallets for patching net wire fence.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
How do you rate Gaucho 15.5 guage hi tensile barb wire?


In the 15.5 gauge category, I would rank it 2nd or 3rd. In the overall category, it wouldn't even get a callback to the short go. 14 ga high tensile barb is my choice, with Tornado being the top pick. Tighter barb spacing with barbs long enough to hit bone. I'll bet I haven't built a hundred miles of barbed wire fence in my career, so when Fence chimes in, go with what he says.
If you just want cheap, I've got a few pallets of 16ga Tornado that's tougher than 15.5 goucho.....Been sitting in the warehouse for 6 months, and the boss said get it gone.


I have not kept up in this thread. I helped Fire Sweep replace a length of her fence last week. It was only about 380 feet. We put a steel H- Brace on each end. We used about half the steel T-posts that were there and she had 6 foot T-posts for replacement posts. For 5 strands, I thought they should have been at least 7 foot. Mixing the posts makes it look like a mixed herd of cattle. We strung 5 strands of Gaucho 15.5 HT barbed wire. I stretched from the end of each H-brace with a Goldenrod. I guess reading here, that is not considered stretching but the terrain was sloped and I stretched it to the point it was difficult getting it pulled up to where it needed to be on the T-post. Fire Sweep is happy with it. I get the sense, they have not seen a first class fence. Lol


You can practice at my place next. :D
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests