fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14159
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 pm

I bet those aren't cheap to buy are they ken?
(You know us Americans--we like to hold on to our dollars...)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:48 pm

greybeard wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Arthritis has me thinking I need one of these. Worth having?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHF9TIm9E


Not available locally. I guess I'll be the guine pig, and order one. Fastenal, said they carry them, but I'd have buy 2. Interesting business model they have out there.

Always been my complaint about Fastenal here. You have to buy a whole box or bag of fasteners no matter how few you only need.

I wonder how good those things work on wire that's actually been tightened?


I don't know, but it sure looks simple to operate. A bag of 100 clips is $4.99.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby callmefence » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Not available locally. I guess I'll be the guine pig, and order one. Fastenal, said they carry them, but I'd have buy 2. Interesting business model they have out there.

Always been my complaint about Fastenal here. You have to buy a whole box or bag of fasteners no matter how few you only need.

I wonder how good those things work on wire that's actually been tightened?


I don't know, but it sure looks simple to operate. A bag of 100 clips is $4.99.


It honestly looks kinda awkward to Me. I could be wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 am

greybeard wrote:I bet those aren't cheap to buy are they ken?
(You know us Americans--we like to hold on to our dollars...)


I don't know how much extra GB as I haven't personally used them as like you I don't buy the galvanised post as they don't have to last all that long to see me out but I know the contractors are using them a lot as the time saving more than pays for the extra cost. I have a back fence to replace and I think I will use them.

Ken
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 am

Bigfoot wrote:Arthritis has me thinking I need one of these. Worth having?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHF9TIm9E


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIlu8tdROQ

These ought to be available somewhere close to you. If not, I've still got a ST dealership if you want to order some.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby libertygarden » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:10 pm

@fenceman,

Hello @fenceman, I have a beginners question, if you will. I put up an 80 yard fence with an H brace at each end. The holes were 3' deep in black clay soil, packed very tight, and the posts pretty sturdy for the tension pull. The wires were tight but when I returned a week later, the two bottom wires were tight but the three top wires were sagging. I stretched all wires with a come-along to what I thought was fairly tight. I don't have animals inside yet, so I can't explain how the fence got loose. Here is video of the mess I attempted. In the video I only show the first 4 wires. I installed the last wire the week after. I notices that when I pulled the bottom wire the top wires got a little loose, so I pulled them again. A week later, like I said, the top 3 wires were sagging. Any help is most welcome.

https://youtu.be/6FfVsfto7-g
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 am

Sure sounds like your brace is giving. When your pulling a wire and the other wires get slack you braces are leaning in.
Build a stronger brace. In just black soil 3' is probably you problem. Another foot can make a big difference.
Good luck
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4107
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:57 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Arthritis has me thinking I need one of these. Worth having?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHF9TIm9E


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIlu8tdROQ

These ought to be available somewhere close to you. If not, I've still got a ST dealership if you want to order some.


I've always thought those clips would be the ticket for the bottom 2 ties on a woven wire fence.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:18 pm

libertygarden wrote:@fenceman,

Hello @fenceman, I have a beginners question, if you will. I put up an 80 yard fence with an H brace at each end. The holes were 3' deep in black clay soil, packed very tight, and the posts pretty sturdy for the tension pull. The wires were tight but when I returned a week later, the two bottom wires were tight but the three top wires were sagging. I stretched all wires with a come-along to what I thought was fairly tight. I don't have animals inside yet, so I can't explain how the fence got loose. Here is video of the mess I attempted. In the video I only show the first 4 wires. I installed the last wire the week after. I notices that when I pulled the bottom wire the top wires got a little loose, so I pulled them again. A week later, like I said, the top 3 wires were sagging. Any help is most welcome.

https://youtu.be/6FfVsfto7-g


Straining off that little tree would not be too flash, I doubt that you could get it tight enough without pulling the tree out of the ground. Also with the flex in the tree you will put more tension on the bottom strands than the top ones as you are straining from closer to the base.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 12:21 am
Location: West Central Kansas

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Chocolate Cow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 pm

A local guy 'invented' these fence clips. https://bigheelfasteners.com
I've used quite a few of them and like them. The wire has to be tight from the get-go because these won't take slack out. The wire won't rust under these clips and it's easy to back the screw out to adjust a wire up or down. They sure hold a cattle panel to a post really well and the screws are self tapping. We have a lot of osage orange or hedge posts in my area and they get hard as a rock once aged. You can't drive a staple into one but these clips work well.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Arthritis has me thinking I need one of these. Worth having?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHF9TIm9E


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIlu8tdROQ

These ought to be available somewhere close to you. If not, I've still got a ST dealership if you want to order some.


I've always thought those clips would be the ticket for the bottom 2 ties on a woven wire fence.


We use them some and they are good clips. Not as easy as they make it look.
If you can get your hands on some 9 gauge aluminum chain link fence ties. The commercial grade ones . They are nice for that bottom wire.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby libertygarden » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Thank you for you tips gentlemen. I'd sure hate to take out the post to go a foot deeper, besides the level tells me the posts are straight vertical. On thing I noticed is that the brace wire loosed-up a bit. I used barbless wire. Even when I was cranking it, it never really felt tight.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14159
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby greybeard » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 am

Are you sure the post closest to the little tree didn't pull up out of the ground a little when you started stretching the wires? I've seen that happen if the hole wasn't very deep or not tamped down good.
If you are dead set against pulling the posts and digging deeper, the only other option I know of is either making it a double H or adding a deadman to the existing H. Never had to use a dead man or make a double H so I'm not real sure exactly how to fasten either, but on the double H I would think you would need to run the diagonal wire on the new post all the way back to the original 1st post.
Callmefence can explain how to do the deadman option, which is the bottom drawing..

Image
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Calhoun103
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Calhoun103 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 pm

I've been reading through this discussion. Someone mentioned a friend losing a finger to HT wire. I have very little experience with HT, but one of my concerns is breakage of wire strained so tight. It seems it could really do some damage over a wide area given wide post spacing. Does rThat concern anyone?

Also, what is the traditional woven wire fence used in the Texas Hill country? I know it's 12 inch vertical stays, but I have heard / seen 32" wire built up with barbed wire and taller woven wire.

Thanks
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:42 am

Calhoun103 wrote:I've been reading through this discussion. Someone mentioned a friend losing a finger to HT wire. I have very little experience with HT, but one of my concerns is breakage of wire strained so tight. It seems it could really do some damage over a wide area given wide post spacing. Does rThat concern anyone?

Also, what is the traditional woven wire fence used in the Texas Hill country? I know it's 12 inch vertical stays, but I have heard / seen 32" wire built up with barbed wire and taller woven wire.

Thanks


The lost finger happened while twisting HT wire in a brace, instead of using a proper tensioning device. He slipped off the twisting stick, and got a paw in the wrong place. HT goes dead pretty quick when it breaks. If you want to experience it in a controlled environment, just tighten up a stretch and cut it. HT barb wire can be a bear if you break it, but slick wire is easy to deal with. I'm not from TX, but the standard when using a shorter net wire would be a strand of barb under, and two strands over.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests