fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Turkeybird » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:37 pm

How can one go about ordering tornado wire, mr fence?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Turkeybird wrote:How can one go about ordering tornado wire, mr fence?

Shoot a PM to farm fence solutions.
He can have it to you in a few days.
If you can't raise him let me know.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Turkeybird wrote:How can one go about ordering tornado wire, mr fence?

You can throw a dot com after my screen name, or I'll PM you my cell number if you like, which is probably the simplest.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am

You can throw a dot com after my screen name, or I'll PM you my cell number if you like, which is probably the simplest.

This works /\ /\, guaranteed.
Just got back last night from a 2000 mile whirlwind trip thru southwest, southeast, and hill country trip thru Texas and there was a nice long USPS box waiting on the table.
Wife looked it over when I opened the bag and wife asked "Will this mean no more bloody hands and forearms for you?"
I can't wait to try it all out.

(I'm on bloodthinners and any little poke or bruise turns into a mass of bandages and bandaids)
Thanks Luke and Fenceman!
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

greybeard wrote:

This works /\ /\, guaranteed.
Just got back last night from a 2000 mile whirlwind trip thru southwest, southeast, and hill country trip thru Texas and there was a nice long USPS box waiting on the table.
Wife looked it over when I opened the bag and wife asked "Will this mean no more bloody hands and forearms for you?"
I can't wait to try it all out.

(I'm on bloodthinners and any little poke or bruise turns into a mass of bandages and bandaids)
Thanks Luke and Fenceman!

Hope you and brother had a good trip. My thoughts are with you, friend.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:51 am

I get a fair amount of questions about gate operators. Haven't done a tip in a while. This is a Apollo 1500. The best for the money IMHO.

The actuator can be attached at any height. But the closer to center the better. Here the rail for the actuator and the stand for the controller is completed.

The actuator arm is 2x2 ss40. It is critical to get it level both ways. The bolt hole in the end should be as close as possible to 11" away and 6" outside the centerline of hinges. A good strong weld is needed here.

Also the top of the 2x2 arm should line up level. 1" below center of actuator bracket on gate.

The washer between the actuator and the arm is critical. Along with a little grease. VERY important, don't overtighten locknut. Just enough to get bolt to penetrate all the way.

0 x

David Crockett

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 pm

callmefence wrote:I get a fair amount of questions about gate operators. Haven't done a tip in a while. This is a Apollo 1500. The best for the money IMHO.

The actuator can be attached at any height. But the closer to center the better. Here the rail for the actuator and the stand for the controller is completed.

The actuator arm is 2x2 ss40. It is critical to get it level both ways. The bolt hole in the end should be as close as possible to 11" away and 6" outside the centerline of hinges. A good strong weld is needed here.

Also the top of the 2x2 arm should line up level. 1" below center of actuator bracket on gate.

The washer between the actuator and the arm is critical. Along with a little grease. VERY important, don't overtighten locknut. Just enough to get bolt to penetrate all the way.

Do you have any problems with people wanting you to come back and adjust/fix the openers?

That is the #1 reason we don't install them. They are so finicky and seems as if they require regular maintenance.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:46 am

fence_it wrote:
callmefence wrote:I get a fair amount of questions about gate operators. Haven't done a tip in a while. This is a Apollo 1500. The best for the money IMHO.

Do you have any problems with people wanting you to come back and adjust/fix the openers?

That is the #1 reason we don't install them. They are so finicky and seems as if they require regular maintenance.

The Apollo is very good at holding its adjustment. It's also very easy to adjust. When you go over everything with the customer at the end of the job.
Show them how to make adjustments.
Many will do it themselves. Of course if they ask us back we come. Their are many cheaper operators i won't install because of poor quality.
Gate openers is a big part of our business. And for the most part easy money.
0 x

David Crockett

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Some of you fence guys will like this. Their is a group on facebook called USA Ag Fencers. It is only about a month old but has nearly 200 members. Already lots of cool pictures and info. Just thought I would share.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/548872122171061/
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

fence_it wrote:Some of you fence guys will like this. Their is a group on facebook called USA Ag Fencers. It is only about a month old but has nearly 200 members. Already lots of cool pictures and info. Just thought I would share.

Looks like Ben Hartwell's tractor and driver on the cover page.
0 x

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:23 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
fence_it wrote:Some of you fence guys will like this. Their is a group on facebook called USA Ag Fencers. It is only about a month old but has nearly 200 members. Already lots of cool pictures and info. Just thought I would share.

Yes. I believe he is the group administrator.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 am

fence_it wrote:

Don't know him.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:49 am

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

Don't know him.

He's an east coaster......Up there where you'd need $50/foot just to walk it. :lol: We need to get you out more.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:01 am

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

Don't know him.

He's an east coaster......Up there where you'd need $50/foot just to walk it. :lol: We need to get you out more.

He'd fit right in with the NYC crowd.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 am

0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”