fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 am

My kids want to build my dad a fence for Christmas. They want to put three strands of 18 gauge barbed wire (fence will be electric) on 5"-6" cedar post. Probably be pulled from the center with a golden rod. How far apart should the post be? Also, will my ferrules for 15.5 gauge wire hold 18 gauge?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 am

Bigfoot wrote:My kids want to build my dad a fence for Christmas. They want to put three strands of 18 gauge barbed wire (fence will be electric) on 5"-6" cedar post. Probably be pulled from the center with a golden rod. How far apart should the post be? Also, will my ferrules for 15.5 gauge wire hold 18 gauge?

I can't say I've ever seen 18 gauge bw.
So idk about the crimps except I bet you can make them work. May have to fold the ends back.
If it's going to be electric and permanent I would put a tpost every 24 feet. Approx.

Fwiw
To be perfectly honest. If I was going to the labor to but in 6" wood line post. I would spend a few cents more per foot on wire. to make a fence that would hold stock without electric if necessary.
:2cents: .
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:46 am

18ga is usually for temporary and/or light duty fences. Can't say that I've ever seen it used here for cattle, but it might be fine for horses.
(I just looked--a roll of it (Bekaert brand) only weighs 25lbs--didn't realize it was that light)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 am

greybeard wrote:18ga is usually for temporary and/or light duty fences. Can't say that I've ever seen it used here for cattle, but it might be fine for horses.
(I just looked--a roll of it (Bekaert brand) only weighs 25lbs--didn't realize it was that light)

Might be nice for those water gaps we have to hike in to.
0 x

David Crockett

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

callmefence wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:My kids want to build my dad a fence for Christmas. They want to put three strands of 18 gauge barbed wire (fence will be electric) on 5"-6" cedar post. Probably be pulled from the center with a golden rod. How far apart should the post be? Also, will my ferrules for 15.5 gauge wire hold 18 gauge?

I can't say I've ever seen 18 gauge bw.
So idk about the crimps except I bet you can make them work. May have to fold the ends back.
If it's going to be electric and permanent I would put a tpost every 24 feet. Approx.

Fwiw
To be perfectly honest. If I was going to the labor to but in 6" wood line post. I would spend a few cents more per foot on wire. to make a fence that would hold stock without electric if necessary.
:2cents: .

I agree, but it's what the old man wants. He works in mysterious ways.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:59 am

I think electrified barb wire is a bit dangerous, they jump when they hit it and can get caught in the next wire and can't get away from it, as well as someone trying to climb through it but if that is what he wants!!!!!!

Ken
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am

wbvs58 wrote:I think electrified barb wire is a bit dangerous, they jump when they hit it and can get caught in the next wire and can't get away from it, as well as someone trying to climb through it but if that is what he wants!!!!!!

Ken

It's fact... electric barbwire is what caused the extinction of the unicorn... :nod:
2 x

David Crockett

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:33 pm

callmefence wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I think electrified barb wire is a bit dangerous, they jump when they hit it and can get caught in the next wire and can't get away from it, as well as someone trying to climb through it but if that is what he wants!!!!!!

Ken

It's fact... electric barbwire is what caused the extinction of the unicorn... :nod:

Are they extinct?

Ken
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:45 pm

He changed to 15.5 gauge, so hopefully any remaining unicorns will see it, and avoid it.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sokwrC8DhVA

The high quality video version. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

A different way... sorry about all the time I spent looking for my tape measure.

https://youtu.be/lHeB-YGr9HY
1 x

David Crockett

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 pm

Here is one of our H braces and a bit of fencing we did today. Ignore that one crooked t post. It was straightened shortly after. :D

0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 am

fence_it wrote:Here is one of our H braces and a bit of fencing we did today. Ignore that one crooked t post. It was straightened shortly after. :D

Looks warm there. :D How do you guys make your ends off?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 am

We normally just tie off our ends. In the last photo it is just hard stapled so the wire could be attached to the barn to close the gap.

Been pretty chilly here lately, only got up to 46. Supposed to warm back up to 54 tommorow. :D

Got an out of town job to finish up the week then a couple thousand feet to start on Monday. Good to be out putting up some fence after the holiday break.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 am

those end posts look a little skinny
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:12 am

fence_it wrote:We normally just tie off our ends. In the last photo it is just hard stapled so the wire could be attached to the barn to close the gap.

Been pretty chilly here lately, only got up to 46. Supposed to warm back up to 54 tommorow. :D

Got an out of town job to finish up the week then a couple thousand feet to start on Monday. Good to be out putting up some fence after the holiday break.

Hard stapled? Savages!!! :lol2: I'm going to give it a try today. Supposed to get up to 20, and that's usually warm enough that everything doesn't break.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”