fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 pm

callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote:
So if you have a 6 inch post four foot deep. A 12 inch post 2 foot deep would be as structural sound??
Of course not..an unrealistic comparison.

No, there is a limit before the post will heave the earth up. As I said, no one is talking about a corner 2' deep in this part of the world.
Dig a hole with a pair of ph diggers or an auger. Reach down as far as you can in the hole and force your index finger into the sidewall.
Now make a fist and with the same physical effort, try to push your fist into the sidewall.
Which one penetrated more?
The answer will be the one with the least amount of sq inches presented to penetration. The index finger.

That sounds scientific enough. Do you have some post hole digger's I can borrow??

How is my comparison unrealistic...??

Because no one plants a 12" post 2' deep as a corner...but you already knew that.
Drive 2 posts in the ground, both 5 ft deep. Both are round or both square--doesn't matter as long as both are the same shape. One post is 4" diameter, the other is 8" diameter. Do them both the same in all aspects. Hook a tractor to each one separately with a chain or cable, each same distance from the top and start pulling.
Which one leans 1st?
You know the answer to this already and you know why as well.

I actually have a set of ornamental PHDs that are normally hanging on the living room wall.
If I ever get up that way, I'll make a present of them to you. They weigh about 8oz.

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 pm

greybeard wrote:
callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote: Of course not..an unrealistic comparison.

No, there is a limit before the post will heave the earth up. As I said, no one is talking about a corner 2' deep in this part of the world.
Dig a hole with a pair of ph diggers or an auger. Reach down as far as you can in the hole and force your index finger into the sidewall.
Now make a fist and with the same physical effort, try to push your fist into the sidewall.
The answer will be the one with the least amount of sq inches presented to penetration. The index finger.

That sounds scientific enough. Do you have some post hole digger's I can borrow??

Because no one plants a 12" post 2' deep as a corner...but you already knew that.
Drive 2 posts in the ground, both 5 ft deep. Both are round or both square--doesn't matter as long as both are the same shape. One post is 4" diameter, the other is 8" diameter. Do them both the same in all aspects. Hook a tractor to each one separately with a chain or cable, each same distance from the top and start pulling.
Which one leans 1st?

I actually have a set of ornamental PHDs that are normally hanging on the living room wall.
If I ever get up that way, I'll make a present of them to you. They weigh about 8oz.

They'd make good chop sticks for a fenceman.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 pm

fasttommy wrote:Farm, just wondering your thoughts on the floating brace...obviously you are not a fan but I'm interested to know the reasons. Thanks.

They work better than I give them credit for. I see no reason to use them when an angled strut or box brace is an option, but they do serve a purpose when getting post depth is a problem.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:13 am

greybeard wrote:
callmefence wrote:
greybeard wrote: Of course not..an unrealistic comparison.

Which one leans 1st?

If I ever get up that way, I'll make a present of them to you. They weigh about 8oz

Sure I'll agreed with that. Except the part about folks not setting corners 2 foot deep. I pull em up all the time.
Also if I drive mine and you dig and damp I bet it will be a close race. Either way. It's not the point I disagreed with.
Or really the one you tried to make.
Let's go back.

Large diameter corner posts are, in most cases, just a gimmick to make a fence look more substantial. I would rather brace a fence off of a 2-7/8" pipe post that was 10 or 12' long, as to use a 10" diameter post that was only 8' long. It's the part you can't see in pictures that does the work.[/quote]

It's the part that has more sq inch exposure to hole sidewall that does the work--either by going deeper with smaller diameter posts, using an extra brace/deadman, or.... using a larger diameter post, that doesn't need to be as deep to provide as much resistance to movement because the larger diameter means the same amt of total sq inches of sidewall exposure as the smaller post drilled or driven to a greater depth.
Contractors are apt to say their corners hold up well because of greater depth but what the neglect to say is they HAVE to go to greater depth because they are using smaller diameter posts.[/quote]

Here is your original post. I responded by saying bs depth Trump's width. To give up depth because your using a bigger post would be a sorry way to do things. Do as you please...no skin off my nose.
I stand by my statement.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 am

I like the little digger's though.
Farm left here with some good heavy digger's. A six pack says he gotta blister. :hat:
0 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 am

A long cold Sunday. Should get the pull done in the morning.

https://youtu.be/8rpHuj3tkJM

0 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:04 am

Pardon the new guy who keeps walking up in the bite while the trucks pulling. Hes just trying to do good.
Anyways approximately 1700' in one pull.

https://youtu.be/HUGCE5wADlQ

0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 am

callmefence wrote:Pardon the new guy who keeps walking up in the bite while the trucks pulling. Hes just trying to do good.

I noticed when you rolled the wire out you had ran it off the outside and now when you pulled it you ran it off the outside, why? And why wasn't the truck in low range?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:Pardon the new guy who keeps walking up in the bite while the trucks pulling. Hes just trying to do good.

I noticed when you rolled the wire out you had ran it off the outside and now when you pulled it you ran it off the outside, why? And why wasn't the truck in low range?

The roller holds two rolls. One is gonna be on the outside. There was filming problems rolling the first one on the roller. Truck was in 4 wheel low. You can see the front tired spin. Grass was wet. But it got tight. Usually I just try to use that bow in the pipe as a tension guage.
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 am

Gotcha I heard the transmission make a slipping sound mine does that sometimes under a heavy load in reverse.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 am

yeah seen it bending the pipe..wondered if you pull til it stands up or how ya measured it tight...that's along pull
1 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 am

I would like to see a video on how you tie off the wire once you have it that tight.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am

pricefarm wrote:I would like to see a video on how you tie off the wire once you have it that tight.

I'll try to do that.
But this probably gives you a idea

0 x

David Crockett

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 am

man that's alotta pull on that...I need a new one..whos is best..mine is kinda sprung in the handles
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am

dieselbeef wrote:man that's alotta pull on that...I need a new one..whos is best..mine is kinda sprung in the handles

We really just use it to hold the wire as we cut and tie it off. With a good fixed or torus knot net it will actually hold itself pretty good if you do one wire at a time. Goldenrod is the best I've used.
But since we went high tensile I'm wearing out a pair every week or to.
If anyone makes one with hightensil jaws I'd like to know about it myself.
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”