Fencing With A Tractor

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Fencing With A Tractor

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Anyone else use a tractor to fence with, bucket makes a great storage area and work bench, cab is nice to store lunch and cold drinks, pull wire from 3 point hitch. I have used several different vehicles, but I like this the best.

0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: Fencing With A Tractor

Postby talltimber » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

If I'm doing something that requires some gear like chainsaw, stretchers, ht wire, post hole diggers, etc I normally do just what you are doing. Too much for a four wheeler.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I use the FEL to push T-posts.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm

This is what I call fencing with a tractor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAwhc6Xzlw
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:This is what I call fencing with a tractor

I've got a Quickfencer with the 5 strand barb/net setup. Pretty handy for big rolls in big country. We've been making a much simpler wire pay out device (no stretching) for a few years. Doesn't matter how you slice it, 1/4 mile rolls of woven wire, or mile long rolls of barbed, save a ton of time.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 am

skyhightree1 wrote:This is what I call fencing with a tractor

Wow-never seen anything like that. Kinda freaky how that wire bounces around though.Wouldn't want to be the guy in the 'raincoat'.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:29 am

must work but it looks like alotta tangled mess comin...what happens at the end of the roll? cuz that's when my unroller gets into a mess..when theres hardly any left
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 pm

With regard to the Quickfencer, it can turn to a tangled mess if you don't keep the strands separated every 100' or so. The spiders that the barbed wire runs through have a clutch disc, so there is constant tension on the wire. The way to prevent a mess at the end of your wire, is to use wire on a basket or bobbin instead of the goofy plastic outfit that is on Bekaert wire.....And use long rolls so you don't run out as often.
This is the setup we use the most. Simple, light, effective.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 pm

This is a SoloTrac driver that I fenced with a little in Wales. It's similar to my machine, but a little better thought out. The next one I build will be more user friendly like this one. Pretty handy all in one machine, for sure.
0 x

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:48 pm

I don't have any fancy setups but a piece of rebar through a roll of barbed wire and the two bottom links on the 3pt is pretty handy. I keep a big plastic tool box with fencing supplies in the back of the field truck for repairs and if we are doing much usually have a helper so we take the truck and tractor.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:Anyone else use a tractor to fence with, bucket makes a great storage area and work bench, cab is nice to store lunch and cold drinks, pull wire from 3 point hitch. I have used several different vehicles, but I like this the best.

Works great as long as your bucket doesn't sag :P

I have a trailer for the ATV I use for most smaller jobs.. good for the chain saws, hammers, etc and can go nearly anywhere
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 am

I've built idk how many wire rollers over the years and this is my favorite. A piece of pipe welded to the truck bed. If I wanna roll out 5 I weld 4 more pieces down. You can drive it off or walk it off works either way. Just enough friction to prevent backlash.
Like farm fence said a good spool is important. Oklahoma makes a pretty good one.

0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:24 pm

callmefence wrote:I've built idk how many wire rollers over the years and this is my favorite. A piece of pipe welded to the truck bed. If I wanna roll out 5 I weld 4 more pieces down. You can drive it off or walk it off works either way. Just enough friction to prevent backlash.
Like farm fence said a good spool is important. Oklahoma makes a pretty good one.

someone stole your barbs
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:I've built idk how many wire rollers over the years and this is my favorite. A piece of pipe welded to the truck bed. If I wanna roll out 5 I weld 4 more pieces down. You can drive it off or walk it off works either way. Just enough friction to prevent backlash.

someone stole your barbs

:D ...
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:25 am

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks simpler is better :D That's a slick idea Fence.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”