Gates cheap ones or expensive ones

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
BryanM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Gates cheap ones or expensive ones

Postby BryanM » Sun May 28, 2017 9:10 am

I am wondering if anyone out there has a trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate that doesn't bow?

cheap gates at local tsc 12' gate $79 vs. 12' bull gate $140. Which one to buy?

I was thinking about the cheaper gate and adding a 9ga wire cattle panel, welding it too it, that adds $17 to the cheap gate. Any thoughts or experiences with gates??
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Gates cheap ones or expensive ones

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 am

You get what you pay for. I'd step up and get the sturdier gate.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 am

The cheap ones are so thin its hard to get the wire welded to them without burning a bunch of holes and even if you get it welded, the weld is not very strong. Only use them in a non-crowd situation.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 am

http://www.agrisupply.com/stock-guard-gate/p/14677/
This is the gate that I have found works best for us. You'll bend a cheap gate if you put any pressure on it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun May 28, 2017 12:12 pm

I sure miss my Agri Supply in Garner NC. That store was great.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun May 28, 2017 12:19 pm

There are gates in between those two extremes. I think TSC carries a variety, but you may have to ask to see their book. I know Rural King carries a variety. Last 12' gate I bought was in the fall at Rural King, $80. Not a bull gate but a lot better than the thin light duty gates.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm

BryanM wrote:I am wondering if anyone out there has a trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate that doesn't bow?

I was thinking about the cheaper gate and adding a 9ga wire cattle panel, welding it too it, that adds $17 to the cheap gate. Any thoughts or experiences with gates??

Where in OH do you live?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Sun May 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I know that I am biased in answering this question, but when I opened my Farm & Feed store, I only wanted to carry the very best products... with that said, we carry the Sioux Steel line of livestock handling equipment. They make several different lines (quality) of gates but our best seller is their "Victory" line. Not only is it a heavy gate, it is also has a powder coated finish and comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Not a bad warranty coming from a company that has been around since 1918.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Although too heavy to be practical, I have started building some of my gates from pressure treated 2" X 6". Clinch nailing 20 penny nails, and making my hinges from schedule 40 black pipe and flat stock. 5 12 footers, one 14 foot, and 1 10 foot.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Pony up for the better gates and deduct them on your taxes as a farm expense. There are a lot of other things you can skimp on. Your time & labor to "upgrade" with the panels are worth more than $17 and you'll need to replace them sooner than anticipated.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun May 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Wish I could get them that cheap up here, north of 200 for a good 12 footer here.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:I know that I am biased in answering this question, but when I opened my Farm & Feed store, I only wanted to carry the very best products... with that said, we carry the Sioux Steel line of livestock handling equipment. They make several different lines (quality) of gates but our best seller is their "Victory" line. Not only is it a heavy gate, it is also has a powder coated finish and comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Not a bad warranty coming from a company that has been around since 1918.

The Sioux Steel Victory gate is awesome. We have one and I put it in the alley where I need the strongest gate possible. Last week I had a 1,200 lb cow jump up and onto the gate. Luckily it was closed at the time and the latch held. She went on over after a pause but for a little while all her weight was on the gate. Here's a pic afterwards. No damage at all.

0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun May 28, 2017 9:00 pm

I gave 195 for 12ft 7 bar Super Heavy Duty gates from TN coop.,no regrets
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

BryanM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BryanM » Sun May 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Well, I bought a 16ft heavier gate today, very similar to True Grits pic. I'll try an answer all the questions ask. I live east of Toledo, I couldn't find a Sioux dealer close too me, Cattle panels are on sale 1$17.plus change for 16ft 9 ga galvanized panels, no agrisupply near me, that's very impressive on the 1200lb cow on the Sioux gate.
I might be able to build my gates from steel, but would bee as much or slightly less, but a small hassel ordering steel and hauling it home vs. buying? Thanks for all the input, just wondered if someone had a simple trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:33 am

BryanM wrote:I am wondering if anyone out there has a trick to making a cheap gate into a better gate that doesn't bow?

I think im going to start making my own gates out and see how they last
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”