Any Tips on the Great Texas Chigger

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Any Tips on the Great Texas Chigger

Postby BK9954 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 am

Every year(worse with green grass) always get eaten up with these suckers. Even with backwoods off, spraying down the whole body I will wind up getting one on my ear or some odd place like that. God forbid one on the tip of you know what. Anyone have something better to prevent these suckers from getting on. Once on I use a Q-tip aoaked with wasp spray immediatly to kill them, seems to shorten the length of time of irritation.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Any Tips on the Great Texas Chigger

Postby Rafter S » Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 am

0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks, gonna give sulfer a try, my poor kids are covered head to toe, but heck, they pet the cows, I told them, the cows have their heads in chiggers all day.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:52 am

BK9954 wrote:Every year(worse with green grass) always get eaten up with these suckers. Even with backwoods off, spraying down the whole body I will wind up getting one on my ear or some odd place like that. God forbid one on the tip of you know what. Anyone have something better to prevent these suckers from getting on. Once on I use a Q-tip aoaked with wasp spray immediatly to kill them, seems to shorten the length of time of irritation.

I think that variety is just a bit smaller than the Oklahoma chigger variety. I've just been shooting them behind the ear on sight.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:20 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
BK9954 wrote:Every year(worse with green grass) always get eaten up with these suckers. Even with backwoods off, spraying down the whole body I will wind up getting one on my ear or some odd place like that. God forbid one on the tip of you know what. Anyone have something better to prevent these suckers from getting on. Once on I use a Q-tip aoaked with wasp spray immediatly to kill them, seems to shorten the length of time of irritation.

I think that variety is just a bit smaller than the Oklahoma chigger variety. I've just been shooting them behind the ear on sight.
I don't know about that everything's bigger in Texas
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:27 am

BK9954 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:

I don't know about that everything's bigger in Texas

Lol we just have a higher stocking rate of them
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed May 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Chigger ran across the road in front of me today, with a groundhog in its mouth.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Chigger ran across the road in front of me today, with a groundhog in its mouth.

Yaw is exaggerating.

Yes, I know yaw isn't correct.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 pm

White vinegar works well mixed with mineral oil for an old time home remedy.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Gunpowder, cayenne pepper, hot mustard, ipecac, asafoetida, and croton oil
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Gunpowder, cayenne pepper, hot mustard, ipecac, asafoetida, and croton oil

1 explosive, 2 super hot ingredients, another that makes you vomit and another that gives you diarrhea. In the Texas heat not sure which is worse lol
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 am

Never had too much trouble with chiggers here. Seed ticks made them extinct I think, then the fire ants killed off the seed ticks.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:40 am

BK9954 wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:Gunpowder, cayenne pepper, hot mustard, ipecac, asafoetida, and croton oil

1 explosive, 2 super hot ingredients, another that makes you vomit and another that gives you diarrhea. In the Texas heat not sure which is worse lol

You won't be worried about chiggers bites though
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:59 am

greybeard wrote:Never had too much trouble with chiggers here. Seed ticks made them extinct I think, then the fire ants killed off the seed ticks.

You can head over my way if you miss the experience, because they certainly aren't extinct here. Maybe they just don't like sand and pine trees.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”