Electric Fence Trouble

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Electric Fence Trouble

Postby JeffK-MN » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:55 pm

I have a Power Wizard 3000 fence charger. That has been only tests 2000 volts on the end of the fence.
The charger has 7000 volts with the fence wire off. It has 3 copper ground rods.
I have checked the fence countless times and changed a lot of insulators and started to take parts of the fence apart with no change.
What have I missed. Thanks Jeff
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Electric Fence Trouble

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Start unhooking sections of fence until you narrow down the problem area. Also, buy a good fault meter/locator if you don't already have one - worth their weight in gold.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:11 am

Aaron wrote:Start unhooking sections of fence until you narrow down the problem area. Also, buy a good fault meter/locator if you don't already have one - worth their weight in gold.

Yup, what Aaron said!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 am

Yup, what dun said!!
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JeffK-MN » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks
Aaron can a fault meter tell if is under ground shorting somehow?
It has some gates where the fence goes under ground. It is coated fence wire put in plastic conduit in those spots and from the shed to the start of the fence. Jeff
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:31 am

A good fault finder will point you in the direction of the fault. If it points toward the gate hole from both sides, that'll be your culprit.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JeffK-MN » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I have to get a fault meter. I have been trying to find this trouble for some time.
Jeff
0 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 pm

i bought one of the Gallegher Fault Finders last year.Pretty good investment.Especially like not having to ground it every time.
The OP is probably losing voltage in a partial break under one of the gates.Even with using underground wire,I like to run mine through a conduit such as black plastic pipe.I've had about 4 gateways give trouble due to not using proper wire/no pipe in the past.
I also like to put in spade type disconnects every so often so I can work on the fence without going all the way back to the charger.Used to narrow down the problems that way,too.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JeffK-MN » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks
Jw I have put the under ground wire in pvc for under ground.
I have took out all the plastic corner insulators and put in porcelain ones.
Jeff
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 am

i had an underground wire through pvc under a gate.. it was all brand new.. someone that wire had a short in it..
0 x

Bamadan
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bamadan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I've had a month long battle on one of my fences. I tried everything I knew to do, and a lot of other people's ideas. I replaced the ground wire, tried different chargers, walked the fence bought ten times, and no answer.
Finally I tried Aaron's idea, I started disconnecting sections and testing as i went. I disconnected and tested every wire under gates on both sides of the gates. Eventually I found a cracked glass insulator.
I had an older farmer tell me when he had a short or hard to find problem, he would walk his fence at night.
I love a electric fence, when it works right, when it don't, it a pain in the butt.
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Disconnects placed at regular intervals make troubleshooting them a whole lot easier.

Start at the end of the run and shut off one section at a time until it starts working well, then you know where the problem lies.
0 x

JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JeffK-MN » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the great info.
Bamadan I found it the way the old farmer told you about. I was out checking on a cow that is ready to calf. When it was wet from rain and almost dark when I heard it snapping and found a glass insulator with a broken edge. It's FIXED Thanks Jeff
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 pm

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Cutout+Switches_detail_MCP.php

I have these everywhere to cut out sections I don't have cattle in - keeps the fencer clicking strong in the areas it needs to and makes short finding (with a fault finder) a breeze.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”