Electric Fence Grounding Question

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4063
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:44 pm

I need to put up an electric fence around some hay. Can I ground it to the barbed wire fence, which is mostly steel posts, or will I need to drive a ground rod?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22547
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Rafter S wrote:I need to put up an electric fence around some hay. Can I ground it to the barbed wire fence, which is mostly steel posts, or will I need to drive a ground rod?


Ground rod
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby dun » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:52 pm

If it's temporary use the barbed wire
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4063
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Two responses and two different answers. That cleared it up. If it helps, the fence will be temporary, there will be about 10 head against it 2 days per week, and they'll still be entirely within a barbed wire fence, so if the electric fence fails they won't be able to get out.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6684
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Rafter S wrote:Two responses and two different answers. That cleared it up. If it helps, the fence will be temporary, there will be about 10 head against it 2 days per week, and they'll still be entirely within a barbed wire fence, so if the electric fence fails they won't be able to get out.


it will ground fine as long as you have normal ground moisture , if it get real dry it will not be as effective
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
pdfangus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4505
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Beaverdam, virginia

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby pdfangus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:24 pm

What M-5 said....depends on ground moisture...

but then I would not put in a ground rod six feet deep for a fence to be up for just a few weeks...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4063
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always drive in a ground rod. The big drawback to that is getting it back out when I don't need the fence any more.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby dun » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Rafter S wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work I can always drive in a ground rod. The big drawback to that is getting it back out when I don't need the fence any more.

Thus the reason to use existing fence if possible.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22547
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:18 pm

They make a clamp to put the ground wire on a t post. That is better than running it to the barb wire.
TSC carries them.
0 x

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4553
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby HDRider » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:22 pm

I've done it. Works fine.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1719
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:32 pm

It'll work until you backfeed a lightning strike into the ground side of the charger. Low impedance chargers take a more advanced grounding setup than chargers of yesteryear to operate at peak efficiency. Yes, you should be just fine unless it doesn't work. lol
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby dun » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:It'll work until you backfeed a lightning strike into the ground side of the charger. Low impedance chargers take a more advanced grounding setup than chargers of yesteryear to operate at peak efficiency. Yes, you should be just fine unless it doesn't work. lol

I've only done it with the 12 volt chargers. Even during the really sry spell we had for 2 months the polywire still read 7.8 k volts.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4553
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby HDRider » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:43 pm

That is what I did it on too Dun.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6684
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Electric Fence Grounding Question

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:50 pm

For what it's worth a step in metal electric fence post turned upside down will work and easy to pull
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests