Hand Held Pump Sprayers

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Hand Held Pump Sprayers

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm on my third one this season and now it's failed. Using diesel and Permethrin and mixing 5 gal at a time and they only last a couple of weeks. I can't really tell if they are forming a leak or something is going on with the pump itself, just can't get pressure. Haven't had this problem till now.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hand Held Pump Sprayers

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm

slick4591 wrote:I'm on my third one this season and now it's failed. Using diesel and Permethrin and mixing 5 gal at a time and they only last a couple of weeks. I can't really tell if they are forming a leak or something is going on with the pump itself, just can't get pressure. Haven't had this problem till now.

I had same issue but im no expert but believe that the diesel eats up the seals in it or something. I opted for a 70 dollar 15gallon 12v sprayer with a wand and once I finished the diesel and perm spray or diesel and burnt motor oil I would run dawn and water through it to clean it out a full tank.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Diesel causes the rubber to swell
Look for one with viton seals
Viton is more resistantant to petroleum
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Wash it out including the inside of the pump with Dawn and warm water as soon as you finish
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Figures. I was thinking the oil in the diesel would keep the seals lubricated. Guess I shouldn't have thought that, huh? Thanks for the info.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:27 pm

I've had good luck with the roundup brand sprayers. I don't spray much diesel though
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 pm

callmefence wrote:I've had good luck with the roundup brand sprayers. I don't spray much diesel though

For business and yard that what I use and love them only issue I had was if you over tighten too much the seal splits
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am

For Roundup sprayers you can buy a repair kit. Cost $7. Almost as much as the sprayer costs but is worth it if the sprayer is full of spray when problem occurs.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 am

Its according to how your using it but I have drilled a hole in the top pulled a valve stem in it and use air tank to pressure it and then spray till air is gone . If im using it on the Kubota I will attach a 10$ vehicle tire pump to it and it keeps plenty of pressure to spray.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:04 am

Farmgirl wrote:For Roundup sprayers you can buy a repair kit. Cost $7. Almost as much as the sprayer costs but is worth it if the sprayer is full of spray when problem occurs.

I got one of those plastic sink drain things and cut a seal out and kept going
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:29 pm

I had the same problem. When using remedy for mesuites I switched to vegetable oil mix, havent had a problem since, even with the cheap harbor freight back pack sprayer.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 am

callmefence wrote:I've had good luck with the roundup brand sprayers. I don't spray much diesel though

I've been using one for two years now with diesel and permethrin to charge back rubs, yet to wash it out and it's still clucking along. Now that I've said that, it'll never work again.

Also have one that I mix diesel and used motor oil (50/50) in to spray off bush hogs, manure spreaders, etc with before putting them up for the season.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:51 am

I had great luck with them until this year. The one I used for several years gave out. The new ones are the ones I'm having a problem with. I dug an old one out of the back of the storage building and it worked fine a few days ago. I'll try it again towards the end of the week.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 am

This time of the year there will be no less than three sprayers on my truck. One gallon of tordon x remedy . And a pair of two gallons with nothing but water. When it really gets dry I mount a 25 gallon 12 volt sprayer and a 3 gallon backpack for every man on site.
Been eyeing the new battery powered backpack s.. anyone used them
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am

No on the battery powered backpacks, but found to my dismay this week, that my 4 gal manual operated backpack has split a 2" long crack in the seam and I got my backside and thighs soaked in RM-43 (Gly+Imazapyr) :(

Fixed it for now with JBWeld applied inside the sprayer and outside, but dunno if it's going to hold or not. AND, one of the shoulder **** straps has rotted/disintegrated and it never saw a night stored outside. Only a couple years old too. :mad: :mad: :bang: :bang:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”