Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Put your t post closer together. I used to go 12'. I've switched to 10''. You (or me) probably don't have the ability to pull wire as tight as fence man does.


I know I don't. Luke and I talked about that. Those guys stretch it on a whole nother plateau. Ok. I should put the closer. Also need to know what stays are.


You've seen them. They use wooden ones out west. They're like a tobacco stick wired vertically attached to each wire. You see the occasional person here use metal ones. They're pretty heavy gauge wire. It looks like it wrapped from top to bottom. You start them on the top wire, and then just screw it down as you go. Easy to put on actually. I still wouldn't go over 12' even with stays.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Put your t post closer together. I used to go 12'. I've switched to 10''. You (or me) probably don't have the ability to pull wire as tight as fence man does.


I know I don't. Luke and I talked about that. Those guys stretch it on a whole nother plateau. Ok. I should put the closer. Also need to know what stays are.


You've seen them. They use wooden ones out west. They're like a tobacco stick wired vertically attached to each wire. You see the occasional person here use metal ones. They're pretty heavy gauge wire. It looks like it wrapped from top to bottom. You start them on the top wire, and then just screw it down as you go. Easy to put on actually. I still wouldn't go over 12' even with stays.


I have seen them. Didn't know what they were called. I plan to go closer on the T-post.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Put your t post closer together. I used to go 12'. I've switched to 10''. You (or me) probably don't have the ability to pull wire as tight as fence man does.


You both have the ability. What you are missing is the magical blue bag of fence tensioning fairy dust. (Gripple kit) :wave:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
I know I don't. Luke and I talked about that. Those guys stretch it on a whole nother plateau. Ok. I should put the closer. Also need to know what stays are.


You've seen them. They use wooden ones out west. They're like a tobacco stick wired vertically attached to each wire. You see the occasional person here use metal ones. They're pretty heavy gauge wire. It looks like it wrapped from top to bottom. You start them on the top wire, and then just screw it down as you go. Easy to put on actually. I still wouldn't go over 12' even with stays.


I have seen them. Didn't know what they were called. I plan to go closer on the T-post.


16' is about as far as we go on wood posts. 12' on T posts would be about the limit for me. I like the cedar stays that Fence uses, but they make woven wire in a roll, so it never made much sense to me to go to making it myself. :hide: :hide:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 pm

In defense of the use of stays...... A vertical stay, should it be cedar in barbed wire or woven into a fixed knot net fence, is what makes a fence function with increased line post spacing. Solid vertical stays in net wire are what make it so much tougher than hinged joint, and the same holds true with cedar stays in barb wire. In a wet climate, you will have to replace posts before the wire is spent, and in a dry/rock environment, it's equally(more, really) expensive to set a post. Vertical stays don't rot off and allow increased spacing between line posts. Bottom line: Still works but saves cash.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 pm

callmefence wrote:Good deal.

I think 30 inches for a stiffener post set that way will be alright. Definitely not deep enough for a brace post.


I agree. You should be far enough south to keep them in the ground. If you do get any heave with them, skip the concrete next time.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3196
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:04 am

Ron, we use these droppers between the star posts as we call them. They are easy to put on with the clips that come with them and a simple tool.

http://www.waratahfencing.com.au/Produc ... pper-Clips

In our environment I am not keen on concreting in wooden posts, I just tamp the soil hard around them, moisture seems to get down between the post and concrete and rots away the outer layers of the post and they loosen up after a few years. It may be why a rock was mentioned to put the post on, to help with the drainage. What I always do though is to put a metal cap on the post as the stringy bark we have here seems to rot out from the inside from moisture penetrating. Your posts being old power poles should be mature and the softer outer layers already rotted off.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:08 am

wbvs58 wrote:Ron, we use these droppers between the star posts as we call them. They are easy to put on with the clips that come with them and a simple tool.

http://www.waratahfencing.com.au/Produc ... pper-Clips

In our environment I am not keen on concreting in wooden posts, I just tamp the soil hard around them, moisture seems to get down between the post and concrete and rots away the outer layers of the post and they loosen up after a few years. It may be why a rock was mentioned to put the post on, to help with the drainage. What I always do though is to put a metal cap on the post as the stringy bark we have here seems to rot out from the inside from moisture penetrating. Your pocsts being old power poles should be mature and the softer outer layers already rotted off.

Ken


That helps a lot. I see their function from that clip. I wondered about the concrete. I am thinking with the way these posts are treated that they will last.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby M-5 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 am

Bright Raven wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Ron, we use these droppers between the star posts as we call them. They are easy to put on with the clips that come with them and a simple tool.

http://www.waratahfencing.com.au/Produc ... pper-Clips

In our environment I am not keen on concreting in wooden posts, I just tamp the soil hard around them, moisture seems to get down between the post and concrete and rots away the outer layers of the post and they loosen up after a few years. It may be why a rock was mentioned to put the post on, to help with the drainage. What I always do though is to put a metal cap on the post as the stringy bark we have here seems to rot out from the inside from moisture penetrating. Your pocsts being old power poles should be mature and the softer outer layers already rotted off.

Ken


That helps a lot. I see their function from that clip. I wondered about the concrete. I am thinking with the way these posts are treated that they will last.

They should last as long as you do , I didn't mention the concrete because it seems the fence boys get their panties wadded up with a layman giving fencing advise.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 am

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Ron, we use these droppers between the star posts as we call them. They are easy to put on with the clips that come with them and a simple tool.

http://www.waratahfencing.com.au/Produc ... pper-Clips

In our environment I am not keen on concreting in wooden posts, I just tamp the soil hard around them, moisture seems to get down between the post and concrete and rots away the outer layers of the post and they loosen up after a few years. It may be why a rock was mentioned to put the post on, to help with the drainage. What I always do though is to put a metal cap on the post as the stringy bark we have here seems to rot out from the inside from moisture penetrating. Your pocsts being old power poles should be mature and the softer outer layers already rotted off.

Ken


That helps a lot. I see their function from that clip. I wondered about the concrete. I am thinking with the way these posts are treated that they will last.

They should last as long as you do , I didn't mention the concrete because it seems the fence boys get their panties wadded up with a layman giving fencing advise.


I think so too. Those old power poles still have a lot of creosote.
0 x

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby pricefarm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:14 am

I use concrete on all my wood post. If I I find it impossible to dig a hole for a wood post and tamp the dirt back around it and make the post tight enough in the ground. The best way would be to drive the wood post in the ground but I don't have the equipment to do that.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 am

Fun fact of the day......Tornado's first manufactured product was hardwood droppers for HT smooth wire. Fence met the man who made them in the beginning.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 am

I've been at this 28 years. Spent 5 years as a superintendent for a large fence company doing nothing but commercial projects. And still bid and do a fair amount of commercial projects.

I have never once seen a set of blueprints or specifications that called for tamping post.
I've seen, put gravel under post and pour concrete. I've seen pour 4 inches wait a day and set post. I've seen wrap post in plastic, wrap post in tar paper. And just dig hole to depth and pour concrete.
I think the most concrete I ever used in one day setting fence post was 50 yards. Toys r us warehouse in Midlothian. That's a lot of concrete for just setting fence post.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 am

I concrete corners, and terminal post. I've never concreted a wooden line post. Don't usually go to too much effort tamping them. Wire usually holds them up till the dirt settles. Probably not right, but it's how I was raised.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:11 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:
On a 5 wire I generally put em on 12.
I've got some interior fence on 24 foot with stays. I would recommend putting stays in it unless it's low pressure interior fence.


Tell me what a stay is.

Either a cedar stick that you tie to each wire
Or a twist in wire stay. I try to post a pic of each in the morning.


Both in one pic. Gotta be efficient with the photo posting these days.

Image
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests