Electric fence?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Electric fence?

Postby Post Oak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm

There are a few places near me that I might be interested in renting and putting cows on in the future. Their fences are either dilapidated beyond repair or nonexistent. How many strands of hotwire would you use for the perimeter fence. I am looking for the lowest cost option.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Electric fence?

Postby dun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:06 pm

If it is a perimeter fence I would check with your state and insurance company to see what is required.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SteppedInIt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm using 4 wire and happy with it.
0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Like Dun said....Hot wire isn't a legal perimeter fence in lots of places....even though you see a bunch of it. I rented a place a few years ago with no fence. I put two strands of hot wire around it. (150 acres) It got dry. Cow got out. Landlord called. I was out of town. Hired man was too drunk. Truck got totaled. Nobody got hurt. My insurance didn't want to pay because they didn't think I was negligent. I just about flipped my lid. (my cow standing in the road in the dark) They finally paid.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I was thinking 3 or 4 wire hot.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”