How do you catch them all?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: How do you catch them all?

Postby 1982vett » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am

:nod: Yep....definitely would wait a week.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Awesome pic :D Snow is always so beautiful but I bet it's miserable to work in.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Dave wrote:I have mine hot wire trained well enough with poly wire. I just make a wide lane leading to the corral. I put some alfalfa in the back and lead them in with a bucket of grain. The wife brings up the rear on the quad keeping the stragglers caught up.

You have 3 kids on horseback!!! With a wide gate and enough wing you should be able to push several hundred into a corral. First pen should be big enough to give them plenty of room.

We do this quite a bit when driving them across roads. The spookier ones will run right through the ribbon if pressured too much though.

Ours will walk off a cliff if they think there's a mouthful of cubes at the bottom. When catching time nears bring them in and give just enough cubes to pacify them a couple times, when the time comes to catch them it's real easy.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 pm

1982vett wrote:
Are grass fed only like Artesianspringsfarm's? Trying to catch cows is bad enough in good weather, but during the with snow up to your but and in a blizzard is terrible. Cubes - cake will make your cows come like a dog, and in your environment cubes could be a lifesaver.

Even given the accuracy of the above average weather forecaster.....trying to catch cattle during a blizzard?.....ya need better planning skills and maybe check a weather app every now and then. :D

Brute is right too, I tried to catch some calves last month a little to late in the day. Cows weren't interested in leaving their shady spot. They had settled in for the day after grazing all night. Sure you can get some, but your not likely to get all that you want.[/quote]

TG, ours are grassfed too. We have tried cubes in the past. A few love them but some want nothing to do with them. Probably will get some more at some point. Tractor Supply has been out of them for about a year (ours sux).
Vett, we try very hard not to have to catch them in winter, at least in the worst of it. We finish up vaccines, AI, final preg checks, then move them to winter grounds. That said, although we try not to work them if it's real snowy, during winter we can usually get them to come with good hay thrown in the corral. (Then we work them into the barn where the chute/headgate is). We just back off their hay a bit the day before so they are hungry. (Note to PETA: we do NOT starve them! They only get peckish, I swear!)
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:53 am

:nod: Depending on the time of year....those big round or square "cubes" work as well as the ones out of a bag.....
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 am

I weaned the spring calves yesterday; this is my awesome crew. Two of the "cowboys" are 11 year old twins and have been working with their dad since they were old enough to sit on a saddle.
The corral. We use the trucks/trailers as a giant alley.
Bringing them in.
Narrowing the gap.
And they're in, all we need to do is close the gates.
BTW, couldn't have asked for a better weaning, perfect weather and the calves are doing great this morning in a pasture across the road.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”