How do you catch them all?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: How do you catch them all?

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

They sure do know what an empty sack looks like. :nod:

One time I was in a bind and put rocks in a bag. Even walked up to the plastic trough and dumped them to make some noise. When the cows came up they had a look of disgust on their face. I felt so bad about the deception I ran back to town and got cubes to make peace. :)
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I've needed to get mommas away from calves a several times, and had my wife walk down the outside of the fencw with a bucket of cubes. It works fine, but once, she just picked up an empty bucket and when they got there and found no cubes, that was the last time they ever went to her.
The suckers never forget...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I have mine hot wire trained well enough with poly wire. I just make a wide lane leading to the corral. I put some alfalfa in the back and lead them in with a bucket of grain. The wife brings up the rear on the quad keeping the stragglers caught up.

You have 3 kids on horseback!!! With a wide gate and enough wing you should be able to push several hundred into a corral. First pen should be big enough to give them plenty of room.
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:28 am

The pen your going to trap them in needs to be big enough you can lead them all in, making a circle around the pen dropping your bait of choice and walk or drive out with room to spare behind the last on in the gate.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Some of our spookier cows seem to know when it is weaning time and refuse to come into the lot. I call in all that will come into the lot and lock up the 80-90% that come in there, and then set up a corral in the pasture with panel gates. For some reason the ones that won't come in the lot don't mind coming into a temp corral with some feed. I then sort the cows out of the corral and haul the calves up to the lot. Those corral panels are some of the best investments I've made. About 15-20 of the 12'panels will set up a corral for around 25-30 pairs
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 pm

I asked the feed mill to look in to getting me some cubes last week. They happened to forget,but will hopefully remember this week. I don't have high hopes of them getting them. They have been able to get me everything I've asked for though. Including jello in 100 pound sacks, so maybe they can make the cubes happen.

Having never fed cubes, I can't say for sure, but I don't picture them drawing them in better than my current feed.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrangusUSA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 am

Bigfoot, I am curious on the "jello in 100 pound sacks"?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 am

BrangusUSA wrote:Bigfoot, I am curious on the "jello in 100 pound sacks"?

For horses feet/hair
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I asked the feed mill to look in to getting me some cubes last week. They happened to forget,but will hopefully remember this week. I don't have high hopes of them getting them. They have been able to get me everything I've asked for though. Including jello in 100 pound sacks, so maybe they can make the cubes happen.

Having never fed cubes, I can't say for sure, but I don't picture them drawing them in better than my current feed.

Great thing about cubes is you dont need troughs... You can dunonthem out on the ground. Not all cubes are created equal but you would be surprised how much they like a quality cube.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I asked the feed mill to look in to getting me some cubes last week. They happened to forget,but will hopefully remember this week. I don't have high hopes of them getting them. They have been able to get me everything I've asked for though. Including jello in 100 pound sacks, so maybe they can make the cubes happen.

Depends on where they get them. One of our local Coops makes them, the other orders from Purina, both are 20% protein. They actually prefer the Purina (looks, smells like more molasses) but we locked in at a better price at the one that makes them. Once they get hooked on the good stuff they'll settle, just to get their "fix" :)
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Brute 23 wrote:They sure do know what an empty sack looks like. :nod:

One time I was in a bind and put rocks in a bag. Even walked up to the plastic trough and dumped them to make some noise. When the cows came up they had a look of disgust on their face. I felt so bad about the deception I ran back to town and got cubes to make peace. :)

:lol: I've faked them out too, and felt guilty and also (and more to the point) worried it'll stop doing the trick even with the real treats.

More generally, what has worked(ish) for us is to plan out well in advance when they will be where, and when we will be catching them. Then we make sure they are hongry when we need them. Sometimes this means we will keep them on a summer pasture an extra day but throw them hay rather than move them to lush grazing. That way they come running when we yell. (Ideally. Sometimes we have to go round them up though. And once in a while, if they're in heat and we're bringing them in to AI, we just assume hijinks will ensue and build in extra time).
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:37 am

boondocks wrote:

:lol: I've faked them out too, and felt guilty and also (and more to the point) worried it'll stop doing the trick even with the real treats.

More generally, what has worked(ish) for us is to plan out well in advance when they will be where, and when we will be catching them. Then we make sure they are hongry when we need them. Sometimes this means we will keep them on a summer pasture an extra day but throw them hay rather than move them to lush grazing. That way they come running when we yell. (Ideally. Sometimes we have to go round them up though. And once in a while, if they're in heat and we're bringing them in to AI, we just assume hijinks will ensue and build in extra time).

Are grass fed only like Artesianspringsfarm's? Trying to catch cows is bad enough in good weather, but during the with snow up to your but and in a blizzard is terrible. Cubes - cake will make your cows come like a dog, and in your environment cubes could be a lifesaver.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 am

We have a hard time when it gets hot in the summer. You can't get cattle to move during the day.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:

Are grass fed only like Artesianspringsfarm's? Trying to catch cows is bad enough in good weather, but during the with snow up to your but and in a blizzard is terrible. Cubes - cake will make your cows come like a dog, and in your environment cubes could be a lifesaver.

Even given the accuracy of the above average weather forecaster.....trying to catch cattle during a blizzard?.....ya need better planning skills and maybe check a weather app every now and then. :D

Brute is right too, I tried to catch some calves last month a little to late in the day. Cows weren't interested in leaving their shady spot. They had settled in for the day after grazing all night. Sure you can get some, but your not likely to get all that you want.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:41 am

1982vett wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:

Even given the accuracy of the above average weather forecaster.....trying to catch cattle during a blizzard?.....ya need better planning skills and maybe check a weather app every now and then. :D

Brute is right too, I tried to catch some calves last month a little to late in the day. Cows weren't interested in leaving their shady spot. They had settled in for the day after grazing all night. Sure you can get some, but your not likely to get all that you want.

1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”