How do you catch them all?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: How do you catch them all?

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:46 am

greybeard wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Luke:

I have tried to copy Google earth satellite images and it will not let me. I assume.you have to pay now?

The PrtSc key is your friend.

I will try that. Thanks.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:57 am

For different devices, (smartphones) you can generally find instructions of How To Take a Screenshot via google search. Looks like FFS' picture came off a phone.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am

Screen shot on a phone.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 am

Catching cows to work isn't very hard when there waiting at the gate leading into the holding pen on the barn side.
Now there almost all in the catch pen, and some are already in the working pens.
Post image has quit? The boss and myself started working cows at 830 and ended at 11 this morning. I only had one cow get past me out of 70 head and we'll cut her out and run her through with the other bunch next week. It's really easy working calm cows that are bucket broke.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 am

What would we do without 5 gal buckets??
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 am

We started out in the 70s with x roping calves and a lot of cows with brahma in them. Catching was a nightmare. If we could get them, some would jump out or crash though the fence. One I remember in particular was in the early 80s called Princess.. I hated that cow...
Over the years, mainly the last 10, if any cow shows she's not going to go with the herd, we cut her. Doesn't matter if she's pulling in the money with awesome calves....she's gone... 5 herds and everyone goes in. Last one we cut for this was around 5 years ago. Starts in the heifer pasture, they show they are offy, she goes...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 am

cowgirl8 wrote:We started out in the 70s with x roping calves and a lot of cows with brahma in them. Catching was a nightmare. If we could get them, some would jump out or crash though the fence. One I remember in particular was in the early 80s called Princess.. I hated that cow...
Over the years, mainly the last 10, if any cow shows she's not going to go with the herd, we cut her. Doesn't matter if she's pulling in the money with awesome calves....she's gone... 5 herds and everyone goes in. Last one we cut for this was around 5 years ago. Starts in the heifer pasture, they show they are offy, she goes...

Good advice.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:10 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:We started out in the 70s with x roping calves and a lot of cows with brahma in them. Catching was a nightmare. If we could get them, some would jump out or crash though the fence. One I remember in particular was in the early 80s called Princess.. I hated that cow...

Good advice.

Often times I get the cows up all by myself while the guys get the corrals ready. Most times we just have 2 people, me on a 4wheeler and husband in a gator. Years ago, we all rode horses when the kids were young. Not so important to have cooperative cows when you have 4 to 8 horses...
On one herd of 65 cows, the pastures are situated in line, so its 2 miles from one end to the next. There are 3 pastures, named 5, 4, 2, and the herd moves one way then back and i'll time it where when we are going to work them, to be in 4 ready to move to 2 where the corrals are. That's still almost a mile in a open field I have to move them through. But I found that if I let them get really eager to move, I wait till the morning we plan to work them so they stampede to where we feed hay to be the first there, ???. Doesn't matter if we are feeding hay at the time, its just how they've always done it and no one really needs to do any pushing. So I worked off this. The guys get the corral ready and wait. I open pasture 4 gate, they stampede to the trap and the guys rap around and we push them in. Its the hardest place to get the cows too because its big open fields and gates are cattycorner so no fence to run them along without doubling the trek. If I get a cow who wont follow this system, really buggers it up. The last cow we cut because of this was cut from this herd. Every herd has their system of getting to the corral. I try to keep it exactly the same each time. Cows seem to like routine consistency...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:20 pm

I just grabbed this from GE. At the top of the pic and second from the left is the "Save Image" button. Also, there's a print and email button which I've never tried.

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:03 pm

slick4591 wrote:I just grabbed this from GE. At the top of the pic and second from the left is the "Save Image" button. Also, there's a print and email button which I've never tried.

I got the satellite image of my farm on my Android. Do not have a "Save Image" icon or button.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:06 pm

You need a desktop.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:10 pm

slick4591 wrote:You need a desktop.

Ok. Or my laptop. Thanks.
0 x

red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby red angus 2010 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm

I am not kidding, we call them and they will come up. Calling suuk suuk suuk they will bawl from the pasture and start moving toward the barn lot. Have to call perhaps five minutes but once the herd starts to move up they come. The old timers did it this way.
0 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I had a crummy little setup when I first started. It was next to impossible to get them all caught. When I was adding more pasture, my fence builder pleaded with me to set up a lane system with net wire that runs through the entire property. He is a heckuva cow man as well as a fence builder so I took his advice. Every rotation is through the lane. Also, the catch pen is incorporated to the lane so any move and they're caught. Sure made things a lot easier than my original setup.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 pm

red angus 2010 wrote:I am not kidding, we call them and they will come up. Calling suuk suuk suuk they will bawl from the pasture and start moving toward the barn lot. Have to call perhaps five minutes but once the herd starts to move up they come. The old timers did it this way.

You could catch mine then, at least get them to the point they could see you anyway. Anything a little bit out of the ordinary and they will kind of watch. If it's just me and or my wife they will come right in. No trailers, strangers or strange rigs and there is no problem.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”