How do you catch them all?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: How do you catch them all?

Postby Allenw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 am

Best way is to have them used to coming to you when you call them, bribing with a few pellets occasionally will help with this.

Sometimes leaving a back gate open a few times while you feed in the catch pen helps with the wilder ones. Feed them and back off so the spookier cows will go in then pull up and let them run out the back gate. When your ready to catch them shut the back gate before hand.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 am

This thread reminds me what I love about replacement heifers. When I turn them out there is no doubt in my mind I can call them any where I need them. They are the first ones usually fighting to get in the pens.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Brute 23 wrote:This thread reminds me what I love about replacement heifers. When I turn them out there is no doubt in my mind I can call them any where I need them. They are the first ones usually fighting to get in the pens.

surely your not talking abut then ''ol' mean - wild -fence jumping - people killing Brahmans are you. :lol2:
I think I could take a feed sack and lead my ol Brahman cows a mile down the road if I needed to.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 pm

BRYANT wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:This thread reminds me what I love about replacement heifers. When I turn them out there is no doubt in my mind I can call them any where I need them. They are the first ones usually fighting to get in the pens.

surely your not talking abut then ''ol' mean - wild -fence jumping - people killing Brahmans are you. :lol2:
I think I could take a feed sack and lead my ol Brahman cows a mile down the road if I needed to.

I don't have any Brahmans but I'm pretty sure I could lead my Brangus cows in one door of the house and out the other with an empty sack.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Yup. Got to watch out for the Brimmers. They are most dangerous when they are hangry for some cubes.

2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Bigfoot wrote:In my life, I have never been able to catch every cow, calf, and bull on my place at the same time. That is a feat that I have truely never accomplished. I've put an honest effort in it many times. Just can't do it. I calve about 10 months out of the year, so I have calves on the ground from 5 days old to 8 months old.

Some odd hang up on here, about posting numbers, so I usually avoid it. Guess I'll have to spill the beans. As of today, I have 84 cows, 51 or 52 calves on the ground, 3 bulls, and 9 short bred heifers.

I need to do some weaning, some sorting, and some culling. I've tried all week, to catch as many as I can at once. Kinda successful, and kinda not.

My approach:
I put 50 pounds of feed in the catching pen. Do it everyday, for a few days. Just pour in my troughs, and go on like nothing is going on. They get wise, and start coming. After 3 or 4 days of that, I'll put out 50 pounds of feed, and scatter 2 bales of alfalfa hay (that holds in there longer). This whole process, will go on for a week or more. I eventually build up to getting 75% (or a little more) in my catching pen all at once. The 25% or so I don't get is enough to discombobulate the whole thing. I don't have a calf, that goes to a certain cow, or vice versa. I end up with about half what I need to be successful.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to go back to my triedand true method. Keeping mineral in the catching pen, and nabbing the ones I can, as I can. This process will take til fall.

I also have the ability to catch any animal, at any time, with a horse. I'll end up resorting to that on a few. I don't like it, but it happens.

At the risk of sounding dumb, how do you people catch the entire herd at one time? I just don't seem to have the skill set to do it.

I easily catch everything soon as they see me there running to me to get brewers grain.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 am

Had an old cow man tell me '' never check your cows with out giving them some cubes (feed) even if it not but just enough for them to get a couple bites'' this is for cows that don't see people every day. I am sold on that I pull in to a pasture and blow my horn and they run for the lot and be packed up around the feed bunk ,you have to push them out of the way to feed .but they know there aint going to be a lot of it so they better get there and be waiting or they will miss out on it
0 x

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 pm

We feed cubes each time we check them. Some days, when we go to pen them, they still have a mind of their own. One here and there always hold out. We don't worry about it and get them next time
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:47 pm

BRYANT wrote:

You can do with with about any hungry half starved old cow. :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

TexasBred wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

there is a big advantage to starving them
1) much easer to lot up 2) Will follow you for feed, no need for stock trailer. 3) less money in calves when sold = more money made 4) if you have to put out hay they will eat any old hay you can find some times even free hay. 5) poor cows people will not steal . they think they all have Jones. :cboy:
2 x

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:26 pm

I have a corral (224' x 180') that we herd all the cows and bulls into. Then we sort to different pens as needed. Works pretty good, but once in awhile you get one that turns her tail and heads for the willows and creek, but normally we get them all. Currently I'm fencing off some new ground to house first calf heifers and the bulls (separately) so we can just open a gate and push them into the newly fenced area and into the corral on 4 wheeler which I hope saves from chasing them all over and getting them worked up when needing to work them.
0 x

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Every time I call them from the oldest cow to the youngest baby calf they come. Let them in at feed trough side and exit through the chutes. Every time the same. Key is the feed trough being in the corral and exiting through the chutes.
Man, I hate new herd bulls! He almost jumped the fence to get out. Did not want to go through the chute. Made the cows skittish. The cows know this routine - eat then spray on exiting- no problems with them. Finally, able to push the bull into the chute by walking him that way. Then with the gate wide open he started towards me instead. Bad idea. Let him have a face full of fly spray. This new bull is nervous and high strung. Hope he settles or he will be gone. I am too old for this.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:27 pm

GAonmymind wrote:Every time I call them from the oldest cow to the youngest baby calf they come. Let them in at feed trough side and exit through the chutes. Every time the same. Key is the feed trough being in the corral and exiting through the chutes.
Man, I hate new herd bulls! He almost jumped the fence to get out. Did not want to go through the chute. Made the cows skittish. The cows know this routine - eat then spray on exiting- no problems with them. Finally, able to push the bull into the chute by walking him that way. Then with the gate wide open he started towards me instead. Bad idea. Let him have a face full of fly spray. This new bull is nervous and high strung. Hope he settles or he will be gone. I am too old for this.

A face full of Fly Ban is the only thing that saved my husband from a young, high strung bull a couple years ago. Sold him the next week.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Little at a time, I'm getting there. Caught a cow that needed culled, and weaned a 7 month old steer, this afternoon.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am

BRYANT wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
BRYANT wrote:surely your not talking abut then ''ol' mean - wild -fence jumping - people killing Brahmans are you. :lol2:

there is a big advantage to starving them
1) much easer to lot up 2) Will follow you for feed, no need for stock trailer. 3) less money in calves when sold = more money made 4) if you have to put out hay they will eat any old hay you can find some times even free hay. 5) poor cows people will not steal . they think they all have Jones. :cboy:

I usually have to put half a dozen rocks or more in the bag and shake it to get mine to pen. The too smart to go for the old empty bag trick. :lol:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”