Building a New Corral

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Building a New Corral

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 am

We are redoing our corral with RR ties and milled lumber. The existing corral was built with the same materials and lasted close to 30 years. But it is unsafe at this point.

The old corral posts were tamped in. I've been thinking about using concrete this time around. At least on the corners and gate posts. Is there any reason to stay away from concrete? I'm not a carpenter/construction guy. Fill bottom of hole with gravel/rocks. Set post atop the gravel/rocks, and fill around with concrete. Leaving the bottom of the posts free of concrete. Would this help prevent rot?

We plan to cover it next year or so.

Tamped in or concrete…what do y'all do?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Building a New Corral

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am

What kind of post spacing do you all do on a corral? The current is 6' spacing. I'm planning to go back with the same except for the alley leading to the squeeze. Thinking about 4' on those.

Doing 6 feet tall.

Thought about making the working alley to where the cattle cannot see through the sides. Are there any cons to this? Keeping it where i can still climb in/out. But put boards on both sides of the posts, kind of like a privacy fence is put together. Alternating on each side going up, to where it cannot be seen through.

Also, do those of you with a bud box design regret doing so?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:29 am

I built a bud box with cattle panels to try out to see if I would like it. It works okay and works better if you cover the panels with a tarp or something they cant see through. One thing I did not like is you have to get in there with the cattle most of the time. I would not build another one. I prefer the traditional tub design.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I never put concrete around posts because I've had to replace too many of them after someone else has.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:58 pm

The alternating board idea could be a leg breaker.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:08 pm

If you decide to use concrete, make sure its filled just to the top of the ground. Husband built an extension on our corrals and let the concrete mound above the ground and it set. So, when I mow I cant get near the post. ugh....I have no idea if it would be a good idea to use concrete, but all our H sections are concreted in.
We have a very very old set of corrals that came with our place. We've been here 30 years and it was old then. It has rough milled lumber in it and is all in pretty good shape but we never use them due to where they are. We've thought about taking them down and planing down the boards to reuse.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Don't use concrete and wood. It will rott off right at the concrete level every time.

Also make sure you are getting quality RR ties. I have not seen any of the modern ties hold up. It's not worth risking putting all that time and money in just for them to fall apart in a couple years IMO. Buy good posts and be done.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Rafter S wrote:I never put concrete around posts because I've had to replace too many of them after someone else has.

There hard to deal w when they have concert around them
If you have good post and soil you can pact you don't need cr
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:31 am

There is a good creosote treatment plant not all that far from you. On a project that involves that much labor, I'd have to seriously consider using new material. Let me know if you need the contact info.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby C-Ranch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

What about using 2 7/8" steel posts? Also getting ready to build a new corral (old one is falling down) and have been going back and forth between steel posts and railroad ties. The rest of the corral will be steel panels so leaning towards steel, but have seen some nice corrals that have used railroad ties.
0 x

rcoon1011
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rcoon1011 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Without Concrete, the cattle cannot be tied off and reeled in anywhere, they will rip them right out of the ground! Just experienced this at a friends ranch, went back with 3 feet of concrete on all poles. Mere sand will never hold a full grown cow! :)
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:12 pm

C-Ranch wrote:What about using 2 7/8" steel posts? Also getting ready to build a new corral (old one is falling down) and have been going back and forth between steel posts and railroad ties. The rest of the corral will be steel panels so leaning towards steel, but have seen some nice corrals that have used railroad ties.

I would not trust cattle pannels stapled to wood posts. I have personally not had cattle pens like that but I had a big hog trap and we had to staple the panels every square, top to bottom, on every post. The hogs would hit the sides and start pulling staples.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 pm

rcoon1011 wrote:Without Concrete, the cattle cannot be tied off and reeled in anywhere, they will rip them right out of the ground! Just experienced this at a friends ranch, went back with 3 feet of concrete on all poles. Mere sand will never hold a full grown cow! :)

Depends.
If you're still talking about cross ties or sawed surplus utility poles, I've never had a snubbin post come out of the ground, and have had to pull some and it was all my Case Backhoe/loader could do to pull them out.
Slick sided steel posts in sand might be a different story tho. On a post used for snubbing off, he could always weld some 1" X 4" rods to the post on the part that's in the ground to give it more resistance to being pulled out.
I don't use much steel and don't have any sand except down by the river and I don't work cows down there so it isn't an issue here.
Something like this I guess but folks that use steel posts probably have a better idea and thoughts on it..

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

rcoon1011
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rcoon1011 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

I am in South TX and yes, it is all sand, it cannot hold anything slick and gets loose very easily, especially with T-posts. We have to install and maintain and strong backs every 50 feet to minimize movement. Thanks for the idea on rods on bottom of poles, have plenty of rebar and will try the idea on back 40 projects.
0 x

rcoon1011
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rcoon1011 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm

I am in South TX and yes, it is all sand, it cannot hold anything slick and gets loose very easily, especially with T-posts. We have to install and maintain and strong backs every 50 feet to minimize movement. Thanks for the idea on rods on bottom of poles, have plenty of rebar and will try the idea on back 40 projects.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”