Building a New Corral

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
C-Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Building a New Corral

Postby C-Ranch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 am

Brute 23 wrote:
C-Ranch wrote:What about using 2 7/8" steel posts? Also getting ready to build a new corral (old one is falling down) and have been going back and forth between steel posts and railroad ties. The rest of the corral will be steel panels so leaning towards steel, but have seen some nice corrals that have used railroad ties.

I would not trust cattle pannels stapled to wood posts. I have personally not had cattle pens like that but I had a big hog trap and we had to staple the panels every square, top to bottom, on every post. The hogs would hit the sides and start pulling staples.

The panels are 6 rail and are very heavy ( takes 3 guys to move 1 panel) so they use metal strapping to lag screw them on to railroad ties. I agree flimsy staples wouldn't hold up much. I just figured the railroad ties might provide a little give over steel posts if an angry bull/cow decided to hit it...idk..
1 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 am

I completely forgot I started this thread. Thanks for the responses.

Have had lots of work come up and haven't had time to mess around on the farm much.

I've been yay'n and nay'n on the concrete for weeks in my head. My Papaw didn't use concrete. I believe the reason it has failed is he didn't keep the animals out/off the corral. They had access all the time. Which I am sure served his purpose. But seems it was hard on it.

I've got around 100 cedars in the dry. Cut them last Summer and Fall. They've got good size to them with a good bit of redwood. I had considered using them in some places. A great majority of the RR ties I have secured are in great shape. Some not so much. I'm probably going to use the not so good pieces in landscaping projects.

We recently got a used squeeze. And to be honest, it has eaten up a lot of my funds. We do plan to cover this structure next year in hopes of slowing the decomposition of the in ground posts.

So do I gather that some of y'all have not liked the bud box thing? Prefer a sweep type setup?

I found some 5' tall corral panels on CL for a pretty fair price. The 6' are a little out of my price range. I did think about using some 6' corral panels for the alley leading to the chute. Making it 24' in length.

I'm always by myself when i need to do something with the moo cows. So if a bud box isn't ideal, I do not want to put in all this work and find i need to change it.

I've got Limo/Char cattle for the most part. Some are high headed. Some are very chilled out. I've got the movement by pressure thing down for the most part. But that is one thing i've been concerned about by the bud box. Would hate to have one turn on me.

Also, i have decided against the alternating board thing. Broken legs are something i hadn't thought of. Will just make it solid on one side. I just don't know how i will climb out if i find the need.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:38 am

Also, one more ?

We've always loaded through the alley and head gate. IMO I hate this. Seems the cattle are terrified to go through the gate and into the trailer. This results in driving them into the trailer. I absolutely hate this. But its how it has been done here for a while. Does it make any difference in a cow's perception to have a diverter in front of the chute to a load out? I'd rather them not be terrified of the chute. And would like them to think the trailer is "A OK"
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am

Its not easy without seeing your place but to me and what I built, it works better to load out from a wider space than the normal alley. On my pen set up the alley running to the tub is 7' wide and I can open a gate that goes off at a 45 degree angle into a short load out area. They never see the tub or the chute,

The load out area is about 12' long and has another gate to swing against them to close it down to a small area to force them into the trailer. The second gate is heavy and keeps me away from the cattle when one turns back. I also built up the ground to slope up to where they don't have to jump to get into the trailer.
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:08 am

Not sure 5 feet is tall enough. If the cow can get her head over the top they will try and jump. I build my corral 6 ft tall and sometimes one will try and jump.
1 x

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 pm

ClinchValley wrote:Also, one more ?

We've always loaded through the alley and head gate. IMO I hate this. Seems the cattle are terrified to go through the gate and into the trailer. This results in driving them into the trailer. I absolutely hate this. But its how it has been done here for a while. Does it make any difference in a cow's perception to have a diverter in front of the chute to a load out? I'd rather them not be terrified of the chute. And would like them to think the trailer is "A OK"

I have a cut gate before my head gate in my alleyway that I load out of and it works ok. With my set up they go through a sweep tub, then out the cut gate into the trailer. For comparison dad has an 8 ft wide alley that we load straight into the trailer out of. His set up works better with calm cattle that can be pushed into the trailer from behind, mine is safer with crazies, as you have a piece of steel between you and them while loading.

A perfect set up would be to add a wide alleyway to mine to use for calm cattle, while retaining the load out of working alley option for the difficult ones.
0 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:04 pm

I have calm cattle, and load them all through a 28" wide chute. Sometimes they're too calm because I'll get 4 or 5 of them in the chute and they just stand there. But even though I have calm cattle, I wouldn't want to try loading them directly from a wide alley. I've tried that a time or two in other people's pens and it didn't work well for me.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:22 am

I load thru an alley that funnels down from 4' to 28" via a sort gate. I've never had a wreck in that alley. Once they get in the narrow part, they head for the trailer unless one balks at the step up of the trailer itself. All my trouble comes in the 12' alley leading to the sweep. That's the only place I have to get in among them.
I'm never very good at drawing my pen. The sort gate is a prefiert 3 way sort gate. Send them straight ahead to headgate, or out to load, or cull back out to the holding area. The sliding gate is to keep 'em back in the 10' section after the sweep while I reposition the sort gate. All gates except my escape gate swing both directions.
Not drawn perfect, and not all corners are square like I have it drawn. I don't have more than 40 head at any given time and usually don't put more than 15 in the holding pen at any given time to work.
The gate just below the word 'sort' swings around and isolates the working area from the holding area.

1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm

I have a pen that leads up to my sweep that has a gate on one side of it. Back the trailer in at a 45 and I then have a couple of gates I can use to push them up until they are essentially pushed on the trailer. I normally just get in with them and cut how many out I want in each section of the trailer and move them along with a stick. None of my setups would allow for anything else or I'd be loading out through the headgate itself which I wouldn't like at all. We're loading gooseneck trailers and not pots.
0 x
J & D Cattle

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Clinch Valley, come and look at mine before you buy anything or dig the first hole. Might give you some good ideas.
I like greybeards design also.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Here's one I built at the rent pasture a few years ago. It works pretty well.

1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”