idea's for homemade hog feeders

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

idea's for homemade hog feeders

Postby farmboy80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:36 am

Am wanting to build a homemade hog feeder. Like the gravity feed ones with the lids just on a smaller scale. I've only got anywhere from three to six at a time. Any ideas?
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: idea's for homemade hog feeders

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 am

1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks looks like a lot of good plans.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:40 am

farmboy80 wrote:Am wanting to build a homemade hog feeder. Like the gravity feed ones with the lids just on a smaller scale. I've only got anywhere from three to six at a time. Any ideas?

When they are small they will work great but my experience is when they get some size to them they tend to tear them up. I believe in simplification and giving them something they can't really tear up so I cut barrels and feed them out of that there whole life span. all I use is barrels and all ill ever use is barrels. I keep 70-100 at a time so maybe that's why mine never last.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 pm

I feed them out of a barrel feeder now, but i just feed once a day. I'm wanting to provide access to feed around the clock. To see if they gain any better /faster.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:25 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
farmboy80 wrote:Am wanting to build a homemade hog feeder. Like the gravity feed ones with the lids just on a smaller scale. I've only got anywhere from three to six at a time. Any ideas?

When they are small they will work great but my experience is when they get some size to them they tend to tear them up. I believe in simplification and giving them something they can't really tear up so I cut barrels and feed them out of that there whole life span. all I use is barrels and all ill ever use is barrels. I keep 70-100 at a time so maybe that's why mine never last.

My experience ha been the same as Sky's. I had one of those nice, heavy-duty, metal gravity feeders, then as they got bigger, they tore that thing off the wall, and tore it up. After that, I went BACK to using the 1/2 barrels. They just don't seem tp tear them up like the metal feeders.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:42 pm

farmboy80 wrote:I feed them out of a barrel feeder now, but i just feed once a day. I'm wanting to provide access to feed around the clock. To see if they gain any better /faster.

Farmboy before there were auto feeders there were wood troughs in which people kept feed. My pigs are never our of feed I feed 1 time every 5 days. In order to raise pigs and keep them growing you do need the feed in front 24-7 I keep my barrel troughs full they are never without. I also pile feed up in the pen to be sure they have enough. What I fill up a lot is the milk bowls. They were drinking 3000 gallons a month or more. I am now almost our of pigs for the year.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”