'Out in the country' internet

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

'Out in the country' internet

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 pm

What is everyone's experiences with internet service, 'hot spots', cell phone boosters, ATT not availbale in the area solutions, etc. etc. when cell service is crap and major internet providers aren't available in your area.

What works and what doesn't? (especially in KY)

Thanks!
Justin
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: 'Out in the country' internet

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:39 pm

I use AT&T. Hotspots use a lot of data but plenty of unlimited plans now. In rural KY, there is no easy solution.

Verizon is a total failure in my area.
0 x

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Verizon, unlimited data and MiFi. It costs way too much but was the only provider with decent reception out here in the country. We are so far out Domino's does not deliver here. NW GA.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 pm

torogmc81 wrote:What is everyone's experiences with internet service, 'hot spots', cell phone boosters, ATT not availbale in the area solutions, etc. etc. when cell service is crap and major internet providers aren't available in your area.

What works and what doesn't? (especially in KY)

Thanks!
Justin

What area of Ky?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:49 pm

We have verizon unlimited on our phones and have their wireless internet . I use my phone hotspot for my laptop and we use the wireless internet for TV. It gets most shows on Netflix and gets Youtubes, but others like HBO takes faster service. We've been so TV limited for so long, that there is almost a lifetime of series on Netflix to last us years. Thinking about cutting the dish cord.. We are way out, and don't even have a dominos within 40 miles....but dang, we do get wireless service...thank god.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Love using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop...works 95% of the time flawless....with a burp here and there..
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:52 pm

South of Versailles 15 miles. Real close to Nonesuch

ATT unavailable BR
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 pm

We went to Exede (wild blue) satellite and like it better then any of the others we've tried
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 pm

We have wireless internet that comes off of the Elevator 2 miles away. Works fine, but if you're gaming it can cause high ping and lag.

Really bugs me when I can't get a solid ping while I'm trying to pwn noobs in CS:GO. :lol:
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 pm

dun wrote:We went to Exede (wild blue) satellite and like it better then any of the others we've tried

Is that the same as what Statewide offers? How bad is the lag? Is the cost 69.99 /month?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Around here we have a local provider (Lyttonnet) that set up their own network.. I used to do the hotspot from my phone, and it was alright for a while, but expensive for what you got.. and with 1 bar of service if the phone is in *just* the right place, it wasn't terribly reliable either
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 am

torogmc81 wrote:
dun wrote:We went to Exede (wild blue) satellite and like it better then any of the others we've tried

Is that the same as what Statewide offers? How bad is the lag? Is the cost 69.99 /month?

Don;t know. Isn;t noticable. 80 bucks
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 am

Verizon is ending their "unlimited" plans and will again begin throttling smartphone videos..kinda like it was before their "unlimited' plan went into effect last Feb.

Verizon Wireless will start throttling video streams to resolutions as low as 480p on smartphones this week. Most data plans will get 720p video on smartphones, but customers won't have any option to completely un-throttle video.

1080p will be the highest resolution provided on tablets, effectively ruling out 4K video on Verizon's mobile network. Anything identified as a video will not be given more than 10Mbps worth of bandwidth. This limit will affect mobile hotspot usage as well.

Verizon started selling unlimited smartphone data plans in February of this year, and the carrier said at the time that it would deliver video to customers at the same resolution used by streaming video companies. "We deliver whatever the content provider gives us. We don't manipulate the data," Verizon told Ars in February.

That changes beginning on Wednesday, both for existing customers and new ones. The changes were detailed today in an announcement of new unlimited data plans.

More at the link.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... p-or-720p/
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:58 am

I'm not sure about KY but we use a lot of cell boosters at work. Every truck has one. For me a cell booster is a must have. We have larger ones mounted on all our field trailers also. They are pricey but worth every penny IMO.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 am

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not sure about KY but we use a lot of cell boosters at work. Every truck has one. For me a cell booster is a must have. We have larger ones mounted on all our field trailers also. They are pricey but worth every penny IMO.

You get what you pay for too. Go ahead and spend the money for a good one or you won't be happy with what it does.
1 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”