'Out in the country' internet

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 'Out in the country' internet

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 am

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not sure about KY but we use a lot of cell boosters at work. Every truck has one. For me a cell booster is a must have. We have larger ones mounted on all our field trailers also. They are pricey but worth every penny IMO.

I have one, with the antenna mounted outside one of the upstairs windows, and lead-in cable run thru the wall to the amp and inside antenna. I think it was a little over $300 4 years ago at Best Buy.
Tried a cheap one first, that stuck to the inside of a window and worked as long as you were in that room, but we needed one for the whole house, so returned it and got a better one. Wilson Electronics I believe it is. Probably need to replace it now since when we bought ours, 3G had just come out and this one doesn't seem to work as well with 4G.
They are now more expensive tho.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 am

Yup, we use Wilson also. My understanding with those things is you pay for how big an area you want to cover... basically how far you can stand from the box.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 am

Wilson are the best ones I've used too.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 am

For cell we use verizon. Before we got rid of our land line (which always had issues), I drove around the farm with a couple of different people that had various cell companys. On the back half of the farm, verizon was the only one that got service consistantly. There is one spot about about 50x50 that we don;t get service. I didn;t try every square foot but even in the furthest and lowest point we got a signal from them. All the others petered out a 1/4 mile from there.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:31 am

GAonmymind wrote:Verizon, unlimited data and MiFi. It costs way too much but was the only provider with decent reception out here in the country. We are so far out Domino's does not deliver here. NW GA.

The Domino's comment doesn't mean much here. If you live outside of city limits, they do not deliver.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Had to switch from AT&T to Verizon when we moved here.....Been using Verizon Mi-Fi and it sucks big time and cost too much as well. Will listen to any suggestions anyone might can offer.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 am

Another happy Excede user.. It's the fastest satellite service that I've had yet.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 am

I got Dish and it's reliable but real garbage for bandwidth. Co-worker has Hughes Net says it's the same.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:36 am

shaz wrote:I got Dish and it's reliable but real garbage for bandwidth. Co-worker has Hughes Net says it's the same.

In the same boat. It works SO SO for a week or two out of the billing cycle. Bottlenecks the rest of the time. I hear at night its wide open, but i'm always asleep. Whose got time to be on the internet at 4 am.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 am

ClinchValley wrote:
shaz wrote:I got Dish and it's reliable but real garbage for bandwidth. Co-worker has Hughes Net says it's the same.

In the same boat. It works SO SO for a week or two out of the billing cycle. Bottlenecks the rest of the time. I hear at night its wide open, but i'm always asleep. Whose got time to be on the internet at 4 am.

I thought everyone was online at 4 am. I usually am anyway.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

CaddoFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CaddoFarms » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:19 am

Atimm693 wrote:Another happy Excede user.. It's the fastest satellite service that I've had yet.

We have had it for a year and a half and are happy as well. My wife works from it 1 or 2 times a week and my neighbor works every day from home on it. If you watch videos on it you use it up pretty fast but it still works just a little slower
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I live out in the middle of nowhere in KY. Our phone company is a cable tv and internet provider, so no issues with internet here. My cell phone is with Bluegrass Cellular. No problems there either.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”