Temporary fencing corn stalks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Temporary fencing corn stalks

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm

i plan on letting cows graze corn stalks this fall and was wondering how yall would go about fencing it temporarily? im gonna have some calves out there with the cows too
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Temporary fencing corn stalks

Postby dun » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Poly wire and temp posts with a real hot charger
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:58 am

We do 300 acres with a single strand of 17 ga galv wire, tee posts driven on every corner, those small rebar rods for line posts every 25 paces. Cows already trained to a fence. Deer is biggest challenge for first couple weeks til they learn the fence is there. Me and the FIL can have it up in a day, and torn down in a day. Reuse same stuff every year.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:11 am

bball wrote:We do 300 acres with a single strand of 17 ga galv wire, tee posts driven on every corner, those small rebar rods for line posts every 25 paces. Cows already trained to a fence. Deer is biggest challenge for first couple weeks til they
learn the fence is there. Me and the FIL can have it up in a day, and torn down in a day.
Reuse same stuff every year.

:nod:
1 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 pm

alright ive probly got enough 14 gauge wire i saved from a guys fence he gave me, how high do yall put the wire? is 1 wire enough? ive got a charger that will send a dog running to the next county :)
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:17 pm

I'd get one down low for the calves and the lookers and your on your own for spacing the top wire! :)
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:alright ive probly got enough 14 gauge wire i saved from a guys fence he gave me, how high do yall put the wire? is 1 wire enough? ive got a charger that will send a dog running to the next county :)

You need to find out how hot it really is. A dog doesn;t take much, a cow calls for a minimum 4500 volts, more is a lot better. I prefer over 6500 volts
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:56 am

One strand is plenty for cows. Set at waist level high. Calfs are weaned off cows when we put cows on stalks. Even if you leave them on, they won't stray far from mom and milk. If you're by a roadway, may want to consider more strands. Dun is correct about the heat on the charger. You will have to space your line posts closer if using 14 ga..just heavier wire. 17ga works real nice for this application. This is all presuming your cows are already trained to a hot wire fence.. if not, train them first or you will end up chasing down cows when they get out.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 pm

yea my charger stays at 10,000 to 12,000 i guess ill put 2 wires and its only 20 acres so it wont take a whole lot of wire. is it fine for calves to be out on stalks? my youngest ones were born in june so thell be about 4 months old by then and i wanna keep them on the cows till there about 6 months before i wean them
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”