Need an estimate on fencing

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Need an estimate on fencing

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
The fencing business is tough. I mentioned this previously. The men around here who stay with a contractor over 5 years are rare as hen's teeth and all have work related body ailments. The two contractors in our county don't look to me like they are getting rich.

Luke, how much do you charge for net fence with a top strand of barb wire. Post - treated wood posts, driven. Hilly terrain with braces say every 200 feet due to turns in direction. So short pulls. 8 foot corner posts. 7 foot line post. On 10 foot centers.

BTW: I would never allow any barb wire other than tornado.

I'm not farm but we get 3.50 to 5.00 on net wire. Comes with at least 3 strands of Barb.
You get 2 braces for every 500'(a corner counts as 2. Any additional braces required we get 175.00 each.

I'm outa here. Gonna head south and throw in with Fence.....Get me some of that easy money! :banana:

I would be proud to have either one of you two build my fences. And I consider the prices fair. We all have to make a living! Not many trades I have seen work any harder than fencing crews.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks Raven but it ain't so bad once you get it figured out and the equipment and all.
Mostly I just have to be self employed.
I got this thing I do where I tell folks to go be nice there self whenever I please. Can't work down at the bank and do that.

Maybe I shoulda been a fisherman
3 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I can relate to that. I once told the biggest oil man from Midland Texas to kiss my but and walked off his boat in Nantucket Island. He offered me a years pay to bring the boat back to Plam Beach and I told him to go.....well you can imagine. It was the last real job of my life.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 pm

callmefence wrote:Thanks Raven but it ain't so bad once you get it figured out and the equipment and all.
I got this thing I do where I tell folks to go be nice there self whenever I please. Can't work down at the bank and do that.

I thought you were a fisherman?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 pm

callmefence wrote:Thanks Raven but it ain't so bad once you get it figured out and the equipment and all.

I thought you were a fisherman?

Just a hobby fisherman.. :D
0 x

David Crockett

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 pm

With all the pain in rear ordeals we go through. Being self employed is the greatest thing in the world to me. I knew from childhood that's what I wanted. Just took me a while to make it work.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Regarding cost to the customer per linear foot, all other things being equal, do you charge more per foot on a small job than on a bigger job and how do you make it pencil out if you have to travel a long way to do the job?

I saw on another forum, where a guy wants 4 acres fenced for goats using "woven wire". He want it subdivided into 4 equal parcels, with 2 of those parcels sharing a common alley with which to move the goats around. He didn't mention how many gates/gateway openings were included, or what kind of posts..spacing or anything else but said the contractor stated it was 2800' of fence and he quoted him $25,000 to do the job. Said he charges $8/ft and the footage doesn't pencil out to $25k so I assume there are some other costs involved, but it seems mighty high. NY state.
I told him the contractor still has some fixed costs (wages, insurance, maybe permits), and move-in/startup was going to be the same no matter if it's a big job or small with crews and equipment still tied up but $25K seems to be more than a bit high... If it was here at my place, the fence would cost almost more than the land is worth.
He wants something like this:

Your thoughts..If it's not a 'trade secret', how do you bid little jobs like this?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 pm

greybeard wrote:Regarding cost to the customer per linear foot, all other things being equal, do you charge more per foot on a small job than on a bigger job and how do you make it pencil out if you have to travel a long way to do the job?

I saw on another forum, where a guy wants 4 acres fenced for goats using "woven wire". He want it subdivided into 4 equal parcels, with 2 of those parcels sharing a common alley with which to move the goats around. He didn't mention how many gates/gateway openings were included, or what kind of posts..spacing or anything else but said the contractor stated it was 2800' of fence and he quoted him $25,000 to do the job. Said he charges $8/ft and the footage doesn't pencil out to $25k so I assume there are some other costs involved, but it seems mighty high. NY state.
I told him the contractor still has some fixed costs (wages, insurance, maybe permits), and move-in/startup was going to be the same no matter if it's a big job or small with crews and equipment still tied up but $25K seems to be more than a bit high... If it was here at my place, the fence would cost almost more than the land is worth.
He wants something like this:

Your thoughts..If it's not a 'trade secret', how do you bid little jobs like this?

$8 a foot is very high for woven wire. "Here" it would be in the $4 - $5 per foot range for high tensile fixed knot wire with a mixture of wood and t posts.

Of course their are lots of variables involved. But it would have to be one PITA job for us to charge $8 a foot. Provided we arent using special materials like pinta posts, etc...

Sounds like that guy found a residential contractor who thinks he can build farm fence. We run up against those guys all the time and they are always 2-3x more than our quote.

p.s. I notice you said little job, 2800 feet is over half a mile and should be considered a decent job for any contractor. This would take us 3-4 days. So no quantity justification for $8 per foot unless the guy is having to commute a fair distance.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Per corner, per brace, per stretch, post spacing, post size, wood, steel, creosote, CCA, ACQ, terrain, degree of difficulty, spec of wire, gates and gate placement, distance from the shop, and customer temperament. These be the variables. Fixed overhead is the easy part. Gate holes is what I see getting expensive on that one, but at $25K, I'd only need to build one like it once a week. lol
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 am

my rich 'friend' has all his stuff hired out..

he's had a guy come out and fence (3) 20 acre sections.. these are flat crop fields with nothing to clear. Easy driving as its all top soil.. no rocks at all.

They put up 2 gates, 8 lines of HT fence. 20,000 each section.

!!!!!! wow.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 am

ddd75 wrote:my rich 'friend' has all his stuff hired out..

he's had a guy come out and fence (3) 20 acre sections.. these are flat crop fields with nothing to clear. Easy driving as its all top soil.. no rocks at all.

!!!!!! wow.

Please give your friend my number. :D
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 am

!!!!!! wow.

doesn't matter if you'd do it for 10k.. they have to have THAT guy out .. you know.. so everyone knows they are paying a lot.

people are crazy
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am

ddd75 wrote:

!!!!!! wow.

doesn't matter if you'd do it for 10k.. they have to have THAT guy out .. you know.. so everyone knows they are paying a lot.

people are crazy

I'll charge double and split it with you. We can tell everyone how much the neighbor is blowing on fence.....It'll be great!
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 am

I have a price per foot.
Net wire will be 3.10 to 5.00 depending on product.
Each 500' of fence comes with 2 pipe braces. Excessive bracing with a break comes out to 175.00 each. No break 150.00 each. Gates are priced at cost plus 25.00 to hang. Takes me about 10
Minutes to weld up a lometa gate.

Simple enough.?
0 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 am

!!!!!! wow.

Quick without a calculator.. weeks work. ( Moving nice and slow)material,labor , secretary, insurance and fuel. Pay myself 1500.00 salary and I'd put a easy 10,000 bonus in my pocket for the week... your friend got screwed.
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”