Need an estimate on fencing

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Need an estimate on fencing

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 am

Whoops
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 pm

callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Let's not forget about health insurance, liability insurance, workmans comp, tires, tracks, oil, hoses, trucks, trailers, welders, the always friendly commercial vehicle enforcement folks, azz hats that leave on Friday with a paycheck and $200 worth of your tools in their pockets...never to answer the phone or return to work again, customers that don't pay/slow pay, suppliers that sent the wrong materials because numb nutz that left with your tools 3 weeks ago runs the forklift on their yard now, the hundreds of hours a year spent bidding jobs that were a waste of time and you knew it before you bid them but didn't want to come of as a jerk, the employee that drives the truck back to the shop with the park brake on at least once a year, customers that want to do their own clearing and never get it done, etc, etc, etc. Yep. It's like free money.

You know it's bothered me to give a estimate and drive by in a couple weeks to see my competition working. Just means I got beat.

What bothers me is to give a free estimate and come back by and it's half azz done or not done at all. In these cases you have been used for a insurance claim or to figure out how much to pay nephew etc. I don't mind getting beat. It just means I'm not the cheapest guy around. But I at least expect to be in the game.

We now give free verbal estimates. If you want it in writing it's 50.00 . I refund the 50.00 if we get the job.

I don't know about the fencing business, but we never made any money till we could afford to lose some jobes in the welding business.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:58 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Let's not forget about health insurance, liability insurance, workmans comp, tires, tracks, oil, hoses, trucks, trailers, welders, the always friendly commercial vehicle enforcement folks, azz hats that leave on Friday with a paycheck and $200 worth of your tools in their pockets...never to answer the phone or return to work again, customers that don't pay/slow pay, suppliers that sent the wrong materials because numb nutz that left with your tools 3 weeks ago runs the forklift on their yard now, the hundreds of hours a year spent bidding jobs that were a waste of time and you knew it before you bid them but didn't want to come of as a jerk, the employee that drives the truck back to the shop with the park brake on at least once a year, customers that want to do their own clearing and never get it done, etc, etc, etc. Yep. It's like free money.

You know it's bothered me to give a estimate and drive by in a couple weeks to see my competition working. Just means I got beat.

What bothers me is to give a free estimate and come back by and it's half azz done or not done at all. In these cases you have been used for a insurance claim or to figure out how much to pay nephew etc. I don't mind getting beat. It just means I'm not the cheapest guy around. But I at least expect to be in the game.

We now give free verbal estimates. If you want it in writing it's 50.00 . I refund the 50.00 if we get the job.

I don't know about the fencing business, but we never made any money till we could afford to lose some jobes in the welding business.

I was just going over this with my accountant. Our margins are up 18% in the last 3 years. About 4 years ago, we got too busy to keep up. Took me a year to figure out I needed to raise my prices.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Farmfencesolutions, all i was saying is i know how to build fence and i wouldnt mind getting payed $2 a foot to build 5 strand barb, im glad you do what you do and im sure your way better at it than me
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 am

MtnCows93 wrote:Farmfencesolutions, all i was saying is i know how to build fence and i wouldnt mind getting payed $2 a foot to build 5 strand barb, im glad you do what you do and im sure your way better at it than me

My comment was in specific reference to the overhead costs associated with being in the fence business. To stay on the legal side of being in business, $2 a foot for 5 strand barb would net you a loss.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:30 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:Farmfencesolutions, all i was saying is i know how to build fence and i wouldnt mind getting payed $2 a foot to build 5 strand barb, im glad you do what you do and im sure your way better at it than me

My comment was in specific reference to the overhead costs associated with being in the fence business. To stay on the legal side of being in business, $2 a foot for 5 strand barb would net you a loss.

The fencing business is tough. I mentioned this previously. The men around here who stay with a contractor over 5 years are rare as hen's teeth and all have work related body ailments. The two contractors in our county don't look to me like they are getting rich.

Luke, how much do you charge for net fence with a top strand of barb wire. Post - treated wood posts, driven. Hilly terrain with braces say every 200 feet due to turns in direction. So short pulls. 8 foot corner posts. 7 foot line post. On 10 foot centers.

BTW: I would never allow any barb wire other than tornado.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 am

Bright Raven wrote:

The fencing business is tough. I mentioned this previously. The men around here who stay with a contractor over 5 years are rare as hen's teeth and all have work related body ailments. The two contractors in our county don't look to me like they are getting rich.

Luke, how much do you charge for net fence with a top strand of barb wire. Post - treated wood posts, driven. Hilly terrain with braces say every 200 feet due to turns in direction. So short pulls. 8 foot corner posts. 7 foot line post. On 10 foot centers.

Probably somewhere in the $5/ft range, but post diameter, overall quantity, and wire spec would influence that price, either up or down. It would, in my opinion, be a waste of timber to put the line posts that close....unless it's a high pressure area. Also, I would prefer to use a 9 or 10' strainer instead of an 8 footer. It is possible to build net wire in the $2.60/ft range with the right circumstances. That's pretty much the consensus on the Tornado Wire amongst the people that have tried it. It's going to be an uphill battle, but I look for us to take the market within 10 years. Educated consumers are really starting to realize the value in investing in a quality product. Thanks for giving it a try! (And wait until you try the net wire)
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am

Bright Raven wrote:

Probably somewhere in the $5/ft range, but post diameter, overall quantity, and wire spec would influence that price, either up or down. It would, in my opinion, be a waste of timber to put the line posts that close....unless it's a high pressure area. Also, I would prefer to use a 9 or 10' strainer instead of an 8 footer. It is possible to build net wire in the $2.60/ft range with the right circumstances. That's pretty much the consensus on the Tornado Wire amongst the people that have tried it. It's going to be an uphill battle, but I look for us to take the market within 10 years. Educated consumers are really starting to realize the value in investing in a quality product. Thanks for giving it a try! (And wait until you try the net wire)

I understand the unavailable pipe issue in the east... well really I don't.. but have you guys considered usimg tpost in place of wooden line post
Metal has far more advantageous over wood and it's far cheaper.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:52 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I understand the unavailable pipe issue in the east... well really I don't.. but have you guys considered usimg tpost in place of wooden line post

Wood has advantages, as well. Rust is a real problem in our climate. Once the posts rust, the zinc on the wire sacrifices it's self to save the post instead of the wire. Good galvanized T posts are higher than good wood posts around here. I really like the idea of switching to pipe, but the rust part is my concern. I am working with a reputable treatment plant to get some .60 CCA posts.....With certified test results.....done up to keep in stock. That would be a 35 year post if it were in standing water it's whole life, and still considerably cheaper than a poorly treated creosote post. We are in a drought right now, which can make it rough going with wood posts. I have pitched pipe to all of my pizzed off customers that are in a hurry, and none of them will bite. Not even for the same price. :bang:
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 am

callmefence wrote:

Wood has advantages, as well. Rust is a real problem in our climate. Once the posts rust, the zinc on the wire sacrifices it's self to save the post instead of the wire. Good galvanized T posts are higher than good wood posts around here. I really like the idea of switching to pipe, but the rust part is my concern. I am working with a reputable treatment plant to get some .60 CCA posts.....With certified test results.....done up to keep in stock. That would be a 35 year post if it were in standing water it's whole life, and still considerably cheaper than a poorly treated creosote post. We are in a drought right now, which can make it rough going with wood posts. I have pitched pipe to all of my pizzed off customers that are in a hurry, and none of them will bite. Not even for the same price. :bang:

Understood dry climate here.
But for comparison...me and Chisholm alone drove 83 pipe post in one day. Was for a set of pens and chute. So laying it out took longer than anything. Property owner had welding ability just needed post drove. I charged 20.00 per post. I paid 8.00 apiece. He would've paid more. But you know I gotta live around here.

T post right now are four dollars..that's the heavy ones. 1.44
For nrcs jobs we are required to use 1.50 galvanized tpost. Last I bought was 7.00
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:50 am

callmefence wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Understood dry climate here.
But for comparison...me and Chisholm alone drove 83 pipe post in one day. Was for a set of pens and chute. So laying it out took longer than anything. Property owner had welding ability just needed post drove. I charged 20.00 per post. I paid 8.00 apiece. He would've paid more. But you know I gotta live around here.

T post right now are four dollars..that's the heavy ones. 1.44
For nrcs jobs we are required to use 1.50 galvanized tpost. Last I bought was 7.00

It comes down to what the people want, I suppose. I really like pipe, and that's all I want to use on my place anymore. Hopefully it will catch on soon. In good ground, I can drive 80 4-5"x8' wood posts/hour....if the layout is already done. Usually 30 an hour for 6"x8'. 83 for working pens is a good day...lots of engineering and math. The aforementioned posts are priced similar to your 1.50 galv T posts. T posts are a little higher here, but we need more length than you, I would guess? Frost heave gets us pretty bad around here. A 1.50 class III T post will last pretty good, but the light weight painted jobs rust off at the ground in a few years.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:20 am

Never considered frost heave. Our frost line is like 1".
I worked once with a guy from Chicago told me it didn't matter if it was 4' chain link it better be 4 foot deep.

Crazy on the price difference. I walked past a pallet of 5to 6" by 8 foot treated post the other day at tsc. 18.00 apiece
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

And, lots of braces/direction changes doesn't always equate to short stretches. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhRu41MzlU&t=2s
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

I'm not farm but we get 3.50 to 5.00 on net wire. Comes with at least 3 strands of Barb.
You get 2 braces for every 500'(a corner counts as 2. Any additional braces required we get 175.00 each.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I'm not farm but we get 3.50 to 5.00 on net wire. Comes with at least 3 strands of Barb.
You get 2 braces for every 500'(a corner counts as 2. Any additional braces required we get 175.00 each.

I'm outa here. Gonna head south and throw in with Fence.....Get me some of that easy money! :banana:
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”