Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 am

Brute 23 wrote:I do not personally build fence with pre-made Hs and would not suggest to some one else to do it that way. We have done it at work and it turned out fine, but again, that's not how I would personally build fence.

Just because some one does some thing for a living does not mean they do it right. I see it every day. ;-) I may not build fence or work or a rig or doze brush for a living but I make contracts, hire, and sign the tickets for hundreds of contractors. I can tell you 99% of the time who is going to be a problem just by their attitude, body language, and how they talk about doing what they do. :tiphat:

I don't disagree with most of what you've said in your most recent comments, but why fire a shot like that ^^^?
And then wink at me? If your goal is to spread the goodwill, then I'm glad for you. My goals in business are to provide the best product possible at a fair and profitable margin. My personal goals are more charitable, but that's a slippery slope to confuse the two. And why is everybody so against a fencing competition? It's a bit miserable for a couple hours, but quite a lot of fun to visit before and after.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:00 am

The fencing competition can be held on my place. I'll provide the HT. Hurricane Irma cured me from barbed wire forever.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:21 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I do not personally build fence with pre-made Hs and would not suggest to some one else to do it that way. We have done it at work and it turned out fine, but again, that's not how I would personally build fence.

Just because some one does some thing for a living does not mean they do it right. I see it every day. ;-) I may not build fence or work or a rig or doze brush for a living but I make contracts, hire, and sign the tickets for hundreds of contractors. I can tell you 99% of the time who is going to be a problem just by their attitude, body language, and how they talk about doing what they do. :tiphat:

I don't disagree with most of what you've said in your most recent comments, but why fire a shot like that ^^^?
And then wink at me? If your goal is to spread the goodwill, then I'm glad for you. My goals in business are to provide the best product possible at a fair and profitable margin. My personal goals are more charitable, but that's a slippery slope to confuse the two. And why is everybody so against a fencing competition? It's a bit miserable for a couple hours, but quite a lot of fun to visit before and after.

It's true. Guess its my prejudices showing. It's hard to explain all the crazy stuff I have seen so called professionals try to get away with. Fence builders, welders, equipment operators, wor crews, etc... I bet of the ones we have hired 25% are worth they money they get. 50% are just junk and I have no clue how they even stay in business. So when people say I do some thing for a living or Ive been doing it for X amount of years it doesn't carry a lot of weight knowing the stats. It's like when you see some one on here who leads to the idea that they have more head so they are smarter than every one else. We know there is no correlation between the two.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 am

ddd75 wrote:i agree brute.. everyone should be on both sides of the fence.. employer // employee..

Guys.. Why set up a extra t post for a guide wire? I just set my corner posts and run off that.

Thats is how most people do it when they build their h braces on site. We were talking about using pre-made H braces. You have to have a straight line before hand so you can get the h brace in line with the fence.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:44 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The fencing competition can be held on my place. I'll provide the HT. Hurricane Irma cured me from barbed wire forever.

You don't have any rock. Prime told me so...if we're having a competition it's gonna be on some rock. :
Any half azz can build fence in soft ground... :D ;-)
Last edited by callmefence on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:44 am

Brute 23 wrote:

It's true. Guess its my prejudices showing. It's hard to explain all the crazy stuff I have seen so called professionals try to get away with. Fence builders, welders, equipment operators, wor crews, etc... I bet of the ones we have hired 25% are worth they money they get. 50% are just junk and I have no clue how they even stay in business. So when people say I do some thing for a living or Ive been doing it for X amount of years it doesn't carry a lot of weight knowing the stats. It's like when you see some one on here who leads to the idea that they have more head so they are smarter than every one else. We know there is no correlation between the two.

Jibber jabber. What is it about fence builders that gets you so stirred up? :lol2:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The fencing competition can be held on my place. I'll provide the HT. Hurricane Irma cured me from barbed wire forever.

You don't have any rock. Prime told me so...if we're having a competition it's gonna be on some rock. :D

And it'll be net wire.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 am

callmefence wrote:

You don't have any rock. Prime told me so...if we're having a competition it's gonna be on some rock. :D

And it'll be net wire.

Deal...
0 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 am

Brute I'll provide you with a crew. You can sit in the truck and tell em how they don't know what there doing.
2 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 am

callmefence wrote:
callmefence wrote:

And it'll be net wire.

Deal...

Two man teams would be the traditional way to do it. You set the posts and I'll stretch the wire? :D
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 am

1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am

Brute 23 wrote:

Jibber jabber. What is it about fence builders that gets you so stirred up? :lol2:

1) Short cuts. How many people have had a O&G company come across their land and you look at it 2 or 3 years later and the fences they built look like crap? Posts leaning... loose wires... crooked gates. I see it all the time. I expect those fence builders to build a fence that will most likely out last the land owners. I don't care what the rest of their place looks like... what we touch will be done right. I want a land owner to look back and say that well was a blessing not a curse.

2) Landowners always want to show up and look at the fence, make changes, suggestions, etc. I have zero tolerance for a fence builder, or any one, cocking an attitude with a land owner. If they are being a problem or un-reasonable you call me. That's my job. We try to keep a good working relationship with the land owners... You leave in a couple days. Don't screw it up for us.

3) There are 3 groups I have to watch for that will steal you blind... roustabouts, roughknecks, and fencing crews. Its just a fact.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:38 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
"The fencing competition can be held on my place. I'll provide the HT."

If I throw in mosquito dope, BBQ and beer AND the HT, can it be on my place?
Just joking...mine's done about as much as I intend to do but I've seen heavy equipment 'contests' when I worked for a Komatsu dealership and they are fun to watch and the crews all seemed to enjoy it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:43 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

1) Short cuts. How many people have had a O&G company come across their land and you look at it 2 or 3 years later and the fences they built look like crap? Posts leaning... loose wires... crooked gates. I see it all the time. I expect those fence builders to build a fence that will most likely out last the land owners. I don't care what the rest of their place looks like... what we touch will be done right. I want a land owner to look back and say that well was a blessing not a curse.

2) Landowners always want to show up and look at the fence, make changes, suggestions, etc. I have zero tolerance for a fence builder, or any one, cocking an attitude with a land owner. If they are being a problem or un-reasonable you call me. That's my job. We try to keep a good working relationship with the land owners... You leave in a couple days. Don't screw it up for us.

3) There are 3 groups I have to watch for that will steal you blind... roustabouts, roughknecks, and fencing crews. Its just a fact.

1) I don't take shortcuts.
2) We always do our best to make folks happy, but about 5% of the population doesn't want to be happy.
3) Leave me outa that. And Fence, too. That man will aggravate you to death to get you paid if he owes you a dollar. And, if it weren't for those three sets of men, you would be out of a job.
It'd serve you well to quit lumping the fence builders on this forum into your broad generalizations. We have a Texas Gas transmission line that cuts a corner of our place.....It's the O&G company men a guy needs to look out for. Big bunch a lazy thieves. Rude and smelly, too. See how dumb it sounds to make a broad generalization about someone you don't even know?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am

greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
"The fencing competition can be held on my place. I'll provide the HT."

If I throw in mosquito dope, BBQ and beer AND the HT, can it be on my place?
Just joking...mine's done about as much as I intend to do but I've seen heavy equipment 'contests' when I worked for a Komatsu dealership and they are fun to watch and the crews all seemed to enjoy it.

Let's just skip the fencing and get on to the beer and BBQ part. :D
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”