The Ultimate Calf Feeding Area?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

The Ultimate Calf Feeding Area?

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:01 am

I have a metal calf feeder which holds 500 lbs of creep. My bull seems to have figured out the more times he rolls it the more creep he can get out of it.

If you were building a pen that the calves could get in but not the bull or cows, and maybe with an adjustable gate/opening I'd appreciate your ideas. It would also be nice that the pen could be used as a holding area if needed.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: The Ultimate Calf Feeding Area?

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 pm

This is what we use:
We took the corner of our barn, ran a 24 foot panel (old horse panel with hog panel wired to it) out lengthwise, then a 12 foot panel across the front with a gate (a horse panel). The 12 foot panel is back about 2 feet, and from the corner of the barn to the corner of the panel, we have a hot wire that is about 3 foot high. The calves go in and eat, lay down (in the cold), and that is where we can catch and work them. We added the metal panel against the barn wall to have a place to tie the calves while we work on halter breaking...
This does not work while we are on grass (for creep feeding), because the cattle do not come to the barn. However, when we pull them in and go on hay, it is awesome for creep feeding! We use it year round for halter breaking and catching calves...
This is looking at the 12 foot panel, with calves tied up along the panel and wall of the barn...
This is looking from the front, where they enter, along the 12 foot panel...
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm

slick4591 wrote:I have a metal calf feeder which holds 500 lbs of creep. My bull seems to have figured out the more times he rolls it the more creep he can get out of it.

Bulls just wanna have fun!
Could get a bigger creep and challenge him. :idea:
0 x
Stocker Steve

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:This is what we use:
We took the corner of our barn, ran a 24 foot panel (old horse panel with hog panel wired to it) out lengthwise, then a 12 foot panel across the front with a gate (a horse panel). The 12 foot panel is back about 2 feet, and from the corner of the barn to the corner of the panel, we have a hot wire that is about 3 foot high. The calves go in and eat, lay down (in the cold), and that is where we can catch and work them. We added the metal panel against the barn wall to have a place to tie the calves while we work on halter breaking...
This does not work while we are on grass (for creep feeding), because the cattle do not come to the barn. However, when we pull them in and go on hay, it is awesome for creep feeding! We use it year round for halter breaking and catching calves...
This is looking at the 12 foot panel, with calves tied up along the panel and wall of the barn...
This is looking from the front, where they enter, along the 12 foot panel...

Thanks! I wish I had the area to use for something like that. I need a space I can have open year around as my breeding is spread out. I'd like to be able to keep creep out all the time. The area doesn't need to be large as I'll probably only have six calves at any given time.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:54 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I have a metal calf feeder which holds 500 lbs of creep. My bull seems to have figured out the more times he rolls it the more creep he can get out of it.

Bulls just wanna have fun!
Could get a bigger creep and challenge him. :idea:

:lol: I'm afraid I would go thru to many feeders before winning that fight.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:20 pm

I've got a 100 ' x60' lot pipe fence with bunks behind the barn . So my wife can fill the bunks then open the gates to let the cows in without getting run over. Problems arose when I put the horses in with the cows. I planned on a single pipe swinging at about 56 " to exclude the horses.
I don't know if it would work or not.n ever got to it. A hot wire gate strung at just under 60 " works great at excluding 15 hand high horses. Cows go right under. I expect a similar setup would work for you and the height is easily adjusted.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Build a creep gate and just make an area for the calves. Anchor the creep gate solidly or the bull will just see it as a challenge that he will eventually defeat.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks. I guess there's no reason to re-invent the wheel. Looks like a little more work to do in the barn. I appreciate the suggestions.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 pm

If you have a confined area where you can put up a hot wire that calves can get under, that is all you need. Just put out feed and they will get it.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:34 am

Finally gave my creep feeder away today to my b-i-l for the same reason. He's going to use it as a bulk feeder for his hair sheep. The char bull and the 2 horned BM cows had both learned how to flip it over. I had tried anchoring it down with tee posts, but they tore the excluder up trying to dislodge it.
I took a 8' tube gate last year and turned it into a creep gate across the entrance of a 8'x22' stall in the small barn and just keep the trough filled when I'm feeding creep, which isn't often anymore.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:12 am

My brain is still running thru possibilities, but if I'm to use the barn I'll have to make some adjustments. I can run the hot wire easily enough but still wouldn't feel good about it until I add reinforcement in places. The barn was built for Dad's goats, so where wooden panels were used I'll have to replace with heavy duty ones. Thanks, I'll get it figured out.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 am

callmefence wrote:I've got a 100 ' x60' lot pipe fence with bunks behind the barn . So my wife can fill the bunks then open the gates to let the cows in without getting run over. Problems arose when I put the horses in with the cows. I planned on a single pipe swinging at about 56 " to exclude the horses.
I don't know if it would work or not.n ever got to it. A hot wire gate strung at just under 60 " works great at excluding 15 hand high horses. Cows go right under. I expect a similar setup would work for you and the height is easily adjusted.

Right about throat high in the dark......That gives me an idea. :D
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:37 pm

If you were building a pen that the calves could get in but not the bull or cows, and maybe with an adjustable gate/opening I'd appreciate your ideas. It would also be nice that the pen could be used as a holding area if needed.

I have put a single hot wire that calves could go under but not the cows and bulls most of my issues come from bred heifers trying to fit in like they did when they were small.. Kinda like some women trying on jeans they wore in high school 30 years ago and it doesn't fit but they force their way in them.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher

Postby papavillars » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Not only women. I have a five year old pair of wrangler jeans size 34 with the tags still on them. Thinking / dreaming of being able to wear them someday.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 pm

papavillars wrote:Not only women. I have a five year old pair of wrangler jeans size 34 with the tags still on them. Thinking / dreaming of being able to wear them someday.

You might. I went from size 40 last Jan back into 36 now.
(diagnosed diabetic in Jan..had to change how, when, how often, how much, and what I ate. I sure do miss Blue Bell..and beer)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”