Stretching Barbed Wire Between Metal Braces

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Re: Stretching Barbed Wire Between Metal Braces

Postby dieselbeef » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:35 pm

driving,,,meh..yer so tough

we dig holes and if it aint wet sand it aint soft. 1 ft down the hole fills with water..3 ft down is hardpan the water wont go thru..this is fl..its a whole new deal. I came form pa..we couldn't dig a hole there..here you can dig it with yer hands
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 am

dieselbeef wrote:driving,,,meh..yer so tough

we dig holes and if it aint wet sand it aint soft. 1 ft down the hole fills with water..3 ft down is hardpan the water wont go thru..this is fl..its a whole new deal. I came form pa..we couldn't dig a hole there..here you can dig it with yer hands

Thanks for the compliment but I ain't so tough. Sometimes my wife drives em for me.

1 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 am

sissy..we use a had post hole digger...pphhhhffffffttttttttttttttt
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:51 am

dieselbeef wrote:sissy..we use a had post hole digger...pphhhhffffffttttttttttttttt

Simple tool for a simple man.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 am

Tbrake wrote:I have a question for the guys that have built a lot of fence. When I use pipe H braces (4.5”x10’ long pipe with 7’ 2 3/8 runners) I’m going to try to make sense, we will see. Will I loose holding power if I tie off to the closest post on the H brace instead of the far one? I have always tied off to the far post, but if welding a gate on, it would be handy to not have the wire to deal with

Weld the gate on first.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:06 am

dieselbeef wrote:you cant set a post good enough on our sand to do that. I used to do it that way but 20 yrs later those posts are pulled in and theyre 8'' posts 4 ft in the ground..but I use the same tech..just cant go as tight. I even use double h braces

We built some in your sand a few weeks ago. 12' strainers, 10' brace posts, 12' struts. Single braced it and stretched just as tight as we would in clay. Conditions vary.....In seepy sand around home, we will use 16' strainers on 4' net wire.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:15 am

If sandy seeping soil was detrimental to fencing there wouldn't be a cow between Winnie and Bolivar Peninsula. They just plant the posts deeper and lots of 'em.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

JHALL
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JHALL » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:53 am

This is the corner where there will be a gate. I had a question similar to what Tbrake was asking. When stretching wire, do you stretch to the corner post (the post that the gate will hang on in this picture)? Or the brace post? Is there a strength benefit with doing it one way or another? With pictures on the internet and of some local work, I've seen it stretched to the brace post, not the corner.

This is a picture off the Internet.

Would you run the barbed wire to this post? Or the corner post?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 am

JHALL wrote:Image

This is the corner where there will be a gate. I had a question similar to what Tbrake was asking. When stretching wire, do you stretch to the corner post (the post that the gate will hang on in this picture)? Or the brace post? Is there a strength benefit with doing it one way or another? With pictures on the internet and of some local work, I've seen it stretched to the brace post, not the corner.

This is a picture off the Internet.

Would you run the barbed wire to this post? Or the corner post?

With a brace like that you can go either way. It's totally up to you.
I can sure see making to the line post instead of the end. Makes a handy place to crawl over the fence.
0 x

David Crockett

JHALL
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JHALL » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 am

Indeed.

So, seems like the most common method is to stretch the wire and tie it off to itself.

The gripples do look nice. How do they work if you have to restretch fence? I assume you'd have to cut it off before the gripple, patch it and run another gripple to tie it off again?
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am

greybeard wrote:If sandy seeping soil was detrimental to fencing there wouldn't be a cow between Winnie and Bolivar Peninsula. They just plant the posts deeper and lots of 'em.

truejust saying its diff everywhere..sinlge braces fail here unless the post is huge..like 14'' or better 6 ft in...

whatever..i have little fence problems but always learning new ways
0 x
einstein

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am

JHALL wrote:Indeed.

So, seems like the most common method is to stretch the wire and tie it off to itself.

The gripples do look nice. How do they work if you have to restretch fence? I assume you'd have to cut it off before the gripple, patch it and run another gripple to tie it off again?

Yes wrap and tie it back to itself. And I personally think a double wrap is stronger. Most breaks occur in the first wrap of the knot. A double wrap decreases strain at that point on a impact.

They gripple works fine to add tension with the contractor tool. You don't have to remove it. Although a proper built fence shouldn't require tightening up.
If you have a break you may have to use two gripples and a small piece of wire. Give the gripple a little squirt of light oil when you install. It'll work smoothly for a good while.

My add photo button came back yesterday. If it stays I'll put some pics up while sitting in the deer stand tomorrow.
0 x

David Crockett

JHALL
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JHALL » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

callmefence wrote:
JHALL wrote:Indeed.

Yes wrap and tie it back to itself. And I personally think a double wrap is stronger. Most breaks occur in the first wrap of the knot. A double wrap decreases strain at that point on a impact.

They gripple works fine to add tension with the contractor tool. You don't have to remove it. Although a proper built fence shouldn't require tightening up.
If you have a break you may have to use two gripples and a small piece of wire. Give the gripple a little squirt of light oil when you install. It'll work smoothly for a good while.

My add photo button came back yesterday. If it stays I'll put some pics up while sitting in the deer stand tomorrow.

That'd be great. First fence I'm building. I did plenty of research, which is how I found this place. I'm trying to cover all my bases and I like to overbuild stuff so I don't have to mess with it later, but I'm expecting some learning curve, just hopefully nothing too terrible.
0 x

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 pm

dieselbeef wrote:
greybeard wrote:If sandy seeping soil was detrimental to fencing there wouldn't be a cow between Winnie and Bolivar Peninsula. They just plant the posts deeper and lots of 'em.

truejust saying its diff everywhere..sinlge braces fail here unless the post is huge..like 14'' or better 6 ft in...

whatever..i have little fence problems but always learning new ways

Telephone poles corners work well db. No brace ne3ded at 4 ft depth
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 pm

A good brace is necessary anywhere if you can only get 4’ deep, but especially so with the sugar sand DB has to work with. There’s literally no soil, only sand. Most of the fences I see down there have 3-4 braces and I can see why.
1 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”