Need Help Making Gate in Alleyway

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Need Help Making Gate in Alleyway

Postby JeffK-MN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:24 am

I need help to make a gate in the alleyway from the tub to the chute.
The alleyway is adjustable from 18" to 28" and 20' long with 2-10' sections.
I would like to put a gate in so I can put 1 or 2 cows in the alleyway with out more trying to come up the alley.
Thanks for any help Jeff
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Need Help Making Gate in Alleyway

Postby ddd75 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 pm

i just made a small gate to shut at about a 45 degree angle. That way they can't push through it but its easy to swing into position. bad part is sometimes they'll push it shut. i used a piece of wire to hold it back until i needed it.

might work for you.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 pm

I'd contact the manufacturer for suggestions and for what others may have done.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 pm

If there is no overhead obstructions to interfere, maybe a drop gate with frame in between the two alleyway sections
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Google W&W and look at the gates that slide in from the side. Works great
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 pm

I use something like this.

http://runnings.cachefly.net/getDynamic ... 551045.jpg

Actually the one I built has powder river components very similar to this one that I robbed off an old set of pens. The rollers were a hard plastic and in decent shape. They were made to roll on a piece of pipe. The gate has to be stout. A large cow backing into it is a lot of force and tears up a lot of the ones on trolleys.
0 x

JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JeffK-MN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for the info
I'm thinking of a drop gate but hooking the 2 sections togerher so the gate will work freely.
Thanks Jeff
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 am

JeffK-MN wrote:Thanks for the info
I'm thinking of a drop gate but hooking the 2 sections togerher so the gate will work freely.
Thanks Jeff

need to run the bars up and down or they will lift it and make sure bottom bar is low. one of the simplest is like ddd75 said the angle will just be greater when the alley is narrower
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 am

kenny thomas wrote:Google W&W and look at the gates that slide in from the side. Works great

Local company down the road about 45 miles. My boy cut parts for them at his previous job.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am

Made a horizontal slide gate for mine--not a guilitine drop gate.. Closed, nothing sticks out the side more than a few inches..and no top support sticking out the side to bang my head on. Patterned it..kinda, off the rear sliding gate on a Preifert SO1. I'm not home this week so I can't post pictures of it. Framed up with 6"x2"x1/4" channel and 1" pipe for the gate part. It's chained/sandwiched between two panels..can't move.

There used to be some good info in the following thread, but some got deleted when photobucket turned rogue on hot linking. Maybe Dexta has his finished by now.....
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=99520
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am

Sure do. I use it as a stop gate just before the palp cage on the chute. If I understand right, you only want a couple cows to leave the tub and get in the race - A slide gate would be the way to go, over head antibacks wont work for this. And any gate that swings in from the side has the potential to catch on a cow after she passes and doesnt clear it and then pinch her if she tries to back up- dangerous if some are ahead and start backing up as they would crush her.

For what you need if you dont want to make a full sized slide gate just make a small version being 2 or 3 bars. Install a frame into the side of your alley and have it so you can push the small gate inwards, blocking the path.

Back in the day we just inserted a pipe across the alley, but some tend to want to jump over a single pipe, then they get hung up on it, and can't get over it, and you can't pull the pipe out cause their weight is on it.. :?

0 x

JeffK-MN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JeffK-MN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks again for the great info.
We use a pipe to stop them from backing. But sometimes another cow comes in the alley when we are working the front cow.
Jeff
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”