Working pen materials

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Working pen materials

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:36 am

If you think portable panels are too high its because you are not putting a dollar amount on you time.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:35 am

Brute 23 wrote:If you think portable panels are too high its because you are not putting a dollar amount on you time.

Build a pen out of drill stem at a dollar a foot for pipe.
Still cheaper in the long run to do it right the first time.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:07 pm

bird dog wrote:I use regular 16' x 50" wire cattle panels.

- Used to use railroad ties and home grown rough saw oak. Does not last like metal. Frost moves ties unless you wrap them well.
- Most have gone to 24' long portable (ND oil field surplus pipe and rod) panels. They hold value and can be moved.

I did buy a trailer load of used 16' wire cattle panels to build a trap for stocker calves. Plan on a 5' dia wood post every 4' and one treated 2x8 across the top. Would you do more than that? Suggestions?
0 x
Stocker Steve

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 pm

<<I did buy a trailer load of used 16' wire cattle panels to build a trap for stocker calves. Plan on a 5' dia wood post every 4' and one treated 2x8 across the top. Would you do more than that? Suggestions?>>

Your post spacing is more than adequate. I would run some kind of board across the bottom ( 2 x 4?) to keep the panels from bending when a calf hits it hard or just flexing with the temperature change. It also helps make the wire panel into a truss and makes the top board much stronger since it won't flex as easily. I used to pull my bottom support up to where it was centered on the second or third wire. This will make it stronger but then you have the problem of the bottom of the panel flexing some if a calf tries to go under. I had one pin its head underneath one one time. Not a big deal to get it out but it changed my thinking on construction.

If you are using wood post, are you going to notch the posts to keep the 2 x flush to the face? If not you are going to have a 1 1/2" gap between the wire and the post and a potential problem where the ends of the panels meet. Maybe nail a board to the face of the post to give you a secure place to nail the ends and keep it all flush. On my steel posts I weld every wire on the ends to keep from having a sharp point from a wire bending out.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm

bird dog wrote:If you are using wood post, are you going to notch the posts to keep the 2 x flush to the face

I was going to staple the welded 16' panel to the wood posts, and then nail the treated 2x over the panel.?

With out any crowding being done - - I was debating top only, or both top & bottom, 2x over the panel.
1 x
Stocker Steve

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Now I see what your planning. Should work fine with your posts that close together. Might want a bottom board a couple feet from the ground to give you a better place to climb over if a critter gets after you.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”