Fence knots.

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Fence knots.

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am

The Brown Texican

0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 am

M-5 wrote:Figure 8 is all you need on 200

A figure 8 is good for joining wire, and in a long stretch, it's easy enough to hide the slack that comes back once tension is released. A Tex Brown works better for tying under tension, and is an easier knot to tie, IMHO. Gripples and crimps are quicker and easier......so long as you don't leave them in the truck.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:32 am

greybeard wrote:I using 200. I can tie it, but no way I can tie knots that nice. I be a bloody mess before I get done with one Texbrown. Reefs are only a little easier.
Right now, all my ht work is between pre-existing strands of Gaucho barbed wire, so there isn't much room to work without getting stuck. (Turning 5 strand barb fences into 8 strand slick/barb to make one pasture absolutely calf proof..or as close to it as I can without going knotted fence)

I'd like to see a video of you doing a Texbrown with 200.

Sounds to me like you need more Gripples in your mailbox. ;-)
I'll look in the pile and see if I've got any 200 laying around, but I would be surprised if I find any.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 am

All I know is when I started learning some of the strainrite knots my wire was not as easy bent as the demo videos show.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

I have no use for anything but a square knot in wire or cable. But I'm going to go with the Gripples sales pitch and give try them. To me Gripples are just an adjustable tension crimp, excellent idea. I have a question about using Gripples, if the fence goes slack will the Gripples loose tension?
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I have no use for anything but a square knot in wire or cable. But I'm going to go with the Gripples sales pitch and give try them. To me Gripples are just an adjustable tension crimp, excellent idea. I have a question about using Gripples, if the fence goes slack will the Gripples loose tension?

No. They can be released, but only if you do it deliberately. Slack in the line will not cause a Gripple to release.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I have no use for anything but a square knot in wire or cable. But I'm going to go with the Gripples sales pitch and give try them. To me Gripples are just an adjustable tension crimp, excellent idea. I have a question about using Gripples, if the fence goes slack will the Gripples loose tension?

No. They can be released, but only if you do it deliberately. Slack in the line will not cause a Gripple to release.

That's great they should work good for me then.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am

M-5 wrote:All I know is when I started learning some of the strainrite knots my wire was not as easy bent as the demo videos show.

180 is what you want to use for hand knotting. It can be done with harder wire, but definitely not as consistently.
I’m sure this will start a shyt storm, but 180 makes a much better fence wire than 200 or 210. Considerably less brittle, and the breaking load is only comprimised by about a hundred pounds. 180 has a higher survivability in an impact situation, such as a tree or the neighbors bull coming to visit. There is a good reason the Kiwis use it.....
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 am

A variety of wire , knots and fasteners.
We won't clean up the ends until it's delivered to the store.

1 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:13 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

That's great they should work good for me then.

Definitely fits in the work smarter not harder deal..
2 x

David Crockett

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Thought this would be a good place to post this. On HT i've been using crimp sleeves instead of knots lately. Alot easier on the hands, quicker, easier, and I think neater and more professional looking

1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Enjoy reading this thread, but y'all making my arthritis hurt with all these knots. :lol:
3 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 pm

I call this one the Indiana Jones.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm

every fence man i've ever dealt with was a knot-head
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

M-5 wrote:every fence man i've ever dealt with was a knot-head

Maybe it's you
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”