anyone built a bridge?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: anyone built a bridge?

Postby Silver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:41 am

I've built a lot of bridges, mostly in the oil patch. Used to take an 80' flat deck rail car, put it on mud sills and use it as a temp while building the permanent bridge. We'd run the heaviest oil patch loads across it with never a worry.
A lot of bridges were put on sills and never did get piling under them.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 am

Have a friend that built a bridge so he could build a house where he wanted it, so it had to handle cement trucks, etc...
It was only about 15' long, he already had all the material (I beams, re-bar, etc) except concrete, and I think it still cost him near $7k
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:26 am

Silver wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:
dun wrote:I was thinking of that. We've used old mobile home frames but they aren;t long enough for this application

They make 16x80 mobile homes. You could find one around here for probably 1500. I think it would still be easier to shape the entry and exit

I can't imaging a mobile home frame having much of a rating. Is this bridge for cars and light trucks only?

A 16x80 weighs in at about 50k i think plus all the furniture and such thats comes with them usually. Ever seen those homes with 5 axles under them? Those are 15k axles.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 am

Craig Miller wrote:
Silver wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:They make 16x80 mobile homes. You could find one around here for probably 1500. I think it would still be easier to shape the entry and exit

I can't imaging a mobile home frame having much of a rating. Is this bridge for cars and light trucks only?

A 16x80 weighs in at about 50k i think plus all the furniture and such thats comes with them usually. Ever seen those homes with 5 axles under them? Those are 15k axles.

You might be quite right, I'm really not very familiar with them. I would have assumed that they are designed to be set on blocks or pilings spaced close together to support the weight, and that the home would also provide some of the strength.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:52 am

Silver wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:
Silver wrote:

You might be quite right, I'm really not very familiar with them. I would have assumed that they are designed to be set on blocks or pilings spaced close together to support the weight, and that the home would also provide some of the strength.

You are correct in that thought but they also have to be strong enough to be hauled half way across the country without falling to pieces. The railcar I have no doubt would be stronger. But I still say it would be easier and cheaper to work on entry and exit
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:59 am

Craig Miller wrote:
Silver wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:

You are correct in that thought but they also have to be strong enough to be hauled half way across the country without falling to pieces. The railcar I have no doubt would be stronger. But I still say it would be easier and cheaper to work on entry and exit

That would be my inclination as well. Especially considering the resident limestone.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

[quote="Silver"

I can't imaging a mobile home frame having much of a rating. Is this bridge for cars and light trucks only?[/quote]
The old 'mobile' home frames were not very strong. I've demolished several older mobile homes, and once the walls and flooring was removed, you had to be very careful moving them. Very thin steel, with the web of the H beams not much more than 1/8" thick, not very tall, and the whole thing would easily bend and twist. Designed to have vertical supports very close together.
Newer ones may be better but the old ones were good for nothing but cutting up and hauling to the scrap iron dealer. Might have been ok for a foot bridge or for cattle to walk across, but I sure wouldn't have trusted any of the ones I tore down to drive a pickup or tractor over.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:10 pm

greybeard wrote:[quote="Silver"

The old 'mobile' home frames were not very strong. I've demolished several older mobile homes, and once the walls and flooring was removed, you had to be very careful moving them. Very thin steel, with the web of the H beams not much more than 1/8" thick, not very tall, and the whole thing would easily bend and twist. Designed to have vertical supports very close together.
Newer ones may be better but the old ones were good for nothing but cutting up and hauling to the scrap iron dealer. Might have been ok for a foot bridge or for cattle to walk across, but I sure wouldn't have trusted any of the ones I tore down to drive a pickup or tractor over.[/quote]
........Those trailers are designed to get from point A to B.. Only exception is around here,, Where there is multiple point B's...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:10 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Silver wrote:

Newer ones may be better but the old ones were good for nothing but cutting up and hauling to the scrap iron dealer. Might have been ok for a foot bridge or for cattle to walk across, but I sure wouldn't have trusted any of the ones I tore down to drive a pickup or tractor over.

........Those trailers are designed to get from point A to B.. Only exception is around here,, Where there is multiple point B's...

Yep, when ya get evicted from one trailer park, then another, and another, or it repossessed several times, the point designators get pretty deep into the alphabet...
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 pm

A flat bed simi trailer works good for a bridge, but I don't know about driving a cement truck over it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Like the others said, reslope the sides. I had a similar situation on my last farm. Have a dozer come in to cut them out and use the weight of his machine to pack in some baseball size rocks where you need it along the in and out slope. You may have to add some more in a few years. Two things will occasionally happen when you get a big rain.
1. Silt will wash up in the cutouts. On my old place, it was worse when the fields upstream from me were freshly plowed.
2. The cutouts will fill with flotsam & jetsam. On my old place, the creek crossed a gravel road about two miles up stream. For many years people have thrown trash off the bridge. It collected in the cutouts. It always amazed me some of the stuff that I would find and how many years it took to move the two miles down stream.
0 x

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby pdubdo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks for all the replies!
1) My neighbor has a 40 ft railcar frame bridge across the same creek-solid as a rock and semis cross it occas without problem.
2) Talked last night w/ an engineering friend and showed him pictures of the crossing. He thinks a low water crossing w/ culverts and a cement cap would be best bang-for-buck (like the ones you posted).
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”