cattle wateres

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: 50 miles south of Kansas City

Re: cattle wateres

Postby D2Cat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 am

I have two Mirafounts and have no trouble with them. I have this wind turbine on a pond and it does an amazing job. Been there for years. Leave it in the pond year around to keep it protected from being pushed around.
Image

Image
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: cattle wateres

Postby ez14. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am

D2Cat wrote:I have two Mirafounts and have no trouble with them. I have this wind turbine on a pond and it does an amazing job. Been there for years. Leave it in the pond year around to keep it protected from being pushed around.
Image

Image
it just keeps the water moving a little bit?
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: 50 miles south of Kansas City

Re: cattle wateres

Postby D2Cat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 am

The center shaft (at the bottom) has basically a lawn mower blade about 8 inches under the water. It continually brings up the warmer water and keeps the area open.
1 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9273
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: cattle wateres

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am

Never thought of something like that. Pretty cool.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: cattle wateres

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Ours is a Mirafount, and we pulled the balls out a few years ago. It has been colder than ever (records breaking), and it is still flowing. We have about 30 cows and many calves on that system, so they are keeping the water moving. On the coldest morning (about -7), it had a thin layer of ice on the top on the side the cows were not using, but still liquid.
When we first put it in 10 years ago, it froze that winter, but we only had a few cows at that time. SO use is IMPORTANT.


Have you had better luck without the balls in the tank? Do you then have to bust ice or is it normally clear? Yesterday it was -3 and the balls were froze to the tank but a cow could have pushed them down. Day before when it was colder the balls were froze and even the valve was stuck.
0 x
J & D Cattle

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2455
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: cattle wateres

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:51 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Ours is a Mirafount, and we pulled the balls out a few years ago. It has been colder than ever (records breaking), and it is still flowing. We have about 30 cows and many calves on that system, so they are keeping the water moving. On the coldest morning (about -7), it had a thin layer of ice on the top on the side the cows were not using, but still liquid.
When we first put it in 10 years ago, it froze that winter, but we only had a few cows at that time. SO use is IMPORTANT.


Have you had better luck without the balls in the tank? Do you then have to bust ice or is it normally clear? Yesterday it was -3 and the balls were froze to the tank but a cow could have pushed them down. Day before when it was colder the balls were froze and even the valve was stuck.


We took the balls out because I had a cow that would hog the tank and play with the ball. It has not froze since the balls were removed, and the one time I had just a glaze of ice I just stuck my hand on it and it broke through (clear, very thin). How many cows do you have using it?
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1853
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: cattle wateres

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Ours is a Mirafount, and we pulled the balls out a few years ago. It has been colder than ever (records breaking), and it is still flowing. We have about 30 cows and many calves on that system, so they are keeping the water moving. On the coldest morning (about -7), it had a thin layer of ice on the top on the side the cows were not using, but still liquid.
When we first put it in 10 years ago, it froze that winter, but we only had a few cows at that time. SO use is IMPORTANT.


Have you had better luck without the balls in the tank? Do you then have to bust ice or is it normally clear? Yesterday it was -3 and the balls were froze to the tank but a cow could have pushed them down. Day before when it was colder the balls were froze and even the valve was stuck.


We took the balls out because I had a cow that would hog the tank and play with the ball. It has not froze since the balls were removed, and the one time I had just a glaze of ice I just stuck my hand on it and it broke through (clear, very thin). How many cows do you have using it?


Right now there are 11 and 2 horses. I'll probably bring back another handful but haven't had time to get to it. I'll try removing the balls from one of the waterers and see what if any difference it makes. Thanks
0 x
J & D Cattle


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests