Now THIS is a mailbox

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Now THIS is a mailbox

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Here where I work we test mailboxes for the DOT (among a lot of other things). I don't know about the laws in Kansas, but here in Texas you'd might be okay if it's on a local road, but if the road is federal or state you're opening yourself up to some big liability.

I've seen some test footage where the mailboxes came in through the windshield. You wouldn't want that.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm

Rafter S wrote:Here where I work we test mailboxes for the DOT (among a lot of other things). I don't know about the laws in Kansas, but here in Texas you'd might be okay if it's on a local road, but if the road is federal or state you're opening yourself up to some big liability.

I've seen some test footage where the mailboxes came in through the windshield. You wouldn't want that.

The .25 mile of road in the pic is county, which stops at the entrance to the ranch. Part of our property is on both sides of that road & our house is almost a mile from the mailbox.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 pm

My parents have a very similar one except it turns on the well casing. Had it 25 years seen car parts laying around it couple times.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am

Rafter S wrote:Here where I work we test mailboxes for the DOT (among a lot of other things). I don't know about the laws in Kansas, but here in Texas you'd might be okay if it's on a local road, but if the road is federal or state you're opening yourself up to some big liability.

Yep, mailboxes with a death wish. And, there's been lots of drunk mailboxes on FM roads that jump right out in front of cars and pickup trucks.
Waiting for a local chapter of MADM to start up. Mothers Against Drunk Mailboxes.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Other vengeance, with more plausible deniability would be to put an old sicklebar mower with the tines facing up near there.. ought to flatten some tires..
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm

greybeard wrote:

Yep, mailboxes with a death wish. And, there's been lots of drunk mailboxes on FM roads that jump right out in front of cars and pickup trucks.
Waiting for a local chapter of MADM to start up. Mothers Against Drunk Mailboxes.
remember seeing the town drunk, going down the road in his Cadillac ...watching the mailboxes flying up like quails in front of him...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm

I could use one of those. Someone destroyed ours last year and then in the winter (probably the mail person) it got run over again. It's pretty sad looking, but it works.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DLD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 am

Not sure about the legality part, but heavy steel mailboxes are very common around here. The others sure don’t last long. There was a guy here a few years back - not a kid, he was mid 20’s, broke his arm swinging a baseball bat (from the window of a moving truck, no less) at a mailbox he thought was plastic...
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Around here they would make you take that up because of the liability aspect. Although, some people are making a covering for their boxes. Seems like 12 inch metal pipe is one of the favorites.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 pm

TCRanch wrote:If you live out in the country, chances are at some point in time your mailbox has been run over, beat up, shot at or even stolen. Happened to us again last week and one of our friends just showed up with "a little something he put together". The box is made of steel, the pieces are cut with a laser/welded together and weighs around 75 lbs. It's welded on to oil field pipe that is cemented inside a semi rim with sucker rod threaded through the holes in the rim and driven into the ground (probably another 150 lbs). Virtually indestructible! And one of the nicest surprise gifts we have ever received.

I really like that
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 pm

TCRanch wrote:
ez14. wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Me too! Tempted to put out game cameras for our entertainment but you know they'd disappear within a week.

It Ain't right but if someone hit that with a bat and got hurt you'd be sued so fast!

True. But precisely why we have a ridiculously huge umbrella on our insurance policy. Can't fix stupid but at least we can be prepared.

Check your laws before doing it. That could be considered a trap.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:07 am

Brute 23 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
ez14. wrote:It Ain't right but if someone hit that with a bat and got hurt you'd be sued so fast!

True. But precisely why we have a ridiculously huge umbrella on our insurance policy. Can't fix stupid but at least we can be prepared.

Check your laws before doing it. That could be considered a trap.

...and it could get someone killed if they drift off the road and hit it with a car.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:47 pm

So far I haven't found anything specifically illegal about but I'll ask a friend of ours that's an attorney. The USPS guidelines state:
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
Bury your post no more than 24" deep.

The nearest house is a mile away and there are about 5 houses along that mile stretch of road, 3 of which have farm implements (old plow, etc). There's not a lot of traffic in my neck of the woods.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Have you tried cameras?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 am

Brute 23 wrote:Have you tried cameras?

No. A camera could possibly be secured to one of the corner posts but otherwise there's nothing around but the crossroads & fence.

The Sherrif Dept posts their activity log and there have been numerous "mailbox incidents" lately - and those are the just the ones reported (we didn't file a report). One of our neighbors said the Sheriff either knows or strongly suspects who is responsible so I'm assuming the fun will soon be over.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”