Wire grabs for high tensile

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Wire grabs for high tensile

Postby Tonka » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Who makes a good set of grabs to use with a come along for high tensile barb ?
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Wire grabs for high tensile

Postby fence_it » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

We've used maasdam wire grips before with some success. For high tensile barb the best thing is really a good pair of chain strainers. Strainrite makes a good pair and I think FFS sells them. A good pair of chain strainers will be the best fencing tool you could ever wish for.

1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 pm

fence_it wrote:We've used maasdam wire grips before with some success. For high tensile barb the best thing is really a good pair of chain strainers. Strainrite makes a good pair and I think FFS sells them. A good pair of chain strainers will be the best fencing tool you could ever wish for.

Amen. Ask Fence what he thinks of them.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tonka » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 pm

What makes the chain strainer so much better than a good come along ?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Tonka wrote:What makes the chain strainer so much better than a good come along ?

Come alongs will be fine, if you have a wire dog for each end. Chain strainers can walk forward and backward without flipping any levers. They also have two jaws hooked when you are tying under tension, so they are a bit safer. No cable to wear out or break. Cheaper. Jaws don't pizz out. Lighter and more compact for storage. No finger pinching. More durable. Me and Fence used them both today. They are both usefull, but if I could only have one, it'd be the chain strainer.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 pm

fence_it wrote:We've used maasdam wire grips before with some success. For high tensile barb the best thing is really a good pair of chain strainers. Strainrite makes a good pair and I think FFS sells them. A good pair of chain strainers will be the best fencing tool you could ever wish for.

Have you seen the bent pipe job that Strainrite has to run the chain through? Looks handy for making room to tie a join under tension.
0 x

Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tonka » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Is the boundary strainer the same except for the hooks instead of the wire dogs ?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Tonka wrote:Is the boundary strainer the same except for the hooks instead of the wire dogs ?

No. The boundary strainer has a much larger mechanical advantage and a much longer chain, in addition to having hooks instead of wire gripping ends. Boundary strainers are made to tension up to 10 strands at once(we use a pair to tension 2096-6 deer net), while the 502 chain strainers are made to tension one strand at a time.
0 x

Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tonka » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:30 pm

So then how much pull in #’s will the boundary strainers exert ?
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

Have you seen the bent pipe job that Strainrite has to run the chain through? Looks handy for making room to tie a join under tension.

Is this it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alsYoXmKhZk

It does look very interesting. Simple but effective. May have to rig one up. :D
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:08 am

Buy one of these and the golden rod makes nice wall decorations. Has a slight learning curve but well worth the money
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 am

M-5 wrote:

Buy one of these and the golden rod makes nice wall decorations. Has a slight learning curve but well worth the money

Since we switched to hightensil wire.
I've been wearing out a pair of goldenrods a week. Luke showed us the chain strainer. I don't think it will replace the come along and dog for me. But it will most likely replace the goldenrod. It's not as handy IMO. But the goldenrod is simply not made to stand up to high tensile. I was gonna buy one but farm fence left his on the back of my truck... :D

I would still love to see someone make a goldenrod with jaws to stand up to high tensile.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 am

the best dog IMO is the one with the round wedge and the notched sleeve . the jawed ones slip too easy. But Im just a hobby fence builder
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 am

M-5 wrote:the best dog IMO is the one with the round wedge and the notched sleeve . the jawed ones slip too easy. But Im just a hobby fence builder

That's the dog we use hobby fence.
For those that can't find them Google Moore maker knifes. They carry them.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:28 am

Tonka wrote:So then how much pull in #’s will the boundary strainers exert ?

That is a question that I can't answer off the top of my head, but we tension to about 450 pounds per line wire, so a 20 line deer net split between two boundary strainers would be at least 4,500 pounds. They still have plenty left in the tank at that point.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”